Garbage. Rubbish. Expensive see-through bags.

Whichever you want.

In our area, you need to put your garbage in a see-through bag, that you have to buy at the local stores.

Ones for businesses are nearly double the price.

Can someone explain to me the reason for this? I just don't get it. ie. why we need the bags and why ones for businesses are so much more expensive.

i used a plain see thru bag one time and the gomi guys didnt take it away. so i then put that bag into an identically sized official bag with red writing on it, then they took it away.

real eco friendly.

It seems that each city has vastly different rules for garbage collection. We've had strict rules for separating and bagging or garbage (burnable, unburnable, and recyclables) for 10 years now but the next town over where I work only has to separate out the recyclables. Also, almost all of the grocery store bags here are ok to use for garbage collection. They usually have the city name stamped on them. From what I understand businesses don't need to have special bags.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Yes this puzzles me too.
Is it just like a tax, a way of getting some cash by requiring people to use expensive official bags?

I think so.
Businesses need them here, different ones -- more expensive!

We used to use black council bags here in Chch, absolutely hated them - always felt like you ran out the night before the rubbish collection. They were about $1 each I think, so $52/year, it does start to add up, and that's based on only 1 bag per week too.

Submit a petition for reusable plastic bins, they are amazing, and because you're restricted on how much you can throw out you really rethink your rubbish habits - we recycle so much more now.

Fujisawa used to have this daft system of two different colour bags, and their uses crossed areas in some respects. Think they were yellow and pink bags.

Perhaps Tubby can explain better.

I just moved in to Sapporo, beautiful city by the way, and was rudely surprised to find out having to pay for yellow bin bags for burnable & unburnable - recycling is free

I'm going to give the city council the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is the tax for disposing of trash, and that we do not pay for rubbish removal in rates or city taxes. Initially I thought it seemed like a bit of a piss take, but I guess it's fair to charge more for people who have tons of crap to burn/landfill.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Fujisawa used to have this daft system of two different colour bags, and their uses crossed areas in some respects. Think they were yellow and pink bags.

Perhaps Tubby can explain better.

still got em.....dunno what the yellow bags are for TBH, I always use the pink ones and just regular clear ones for the plastic gomi

Here in Kofu we have to buy yellow bags for the usual burnable rubbish and use blue bags for unburnable.

Things that wont fit in the bag or big heavy items can be thrown out on designated days as long as we put a stikcer on it, which costs 15 yen per sticker, regardless of the size, weight of the item!

The 15 yen per large item I think is really cheap when you consider it costs somthing like 300 yen per time on Tokyo.

The bags are a ripoff price, especially when they only come in packs of 10, no matter where you buy them, and not that cheap either, when you add the price up over a year.