It's going to be a hot summer

Only a 20% chance predicted it will be cooler than average. 80% chance it will be average or warmer (most likely warmer). This is for southern Japan.

Up north in Hokkaido most likely to be around average.

temp-20.png

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I really wouldn't want to be in Niseko or the like.

Why not? It's awesome here in summer! And unlike winter not so many damned Aussies!
Plenty of bloody poms though so there's a very active football team. They won the regional comp last summer. There's also a cricket team and a rugby team. And plenty of keen road and mountain bikers. Plenty also into running who compete in races around the island.
A close little community who also have some great weekends camping down at Toya or on the coast around near Shakotan.
The hiking in the region is awesome with nowhere near the amount of humidity as down south. What's not to love?!

I'm really, really going to miss not being here for this coming summer....

I didn't have a huge choice about living here really. I hate english teaching (and my wife hates it even more) and getting jobs not related to that are not overly easy to come by, except around here.

I've spent 7 summers here and do a lot of hiking each season. Never seen one. Just do what the locals do and wear some very annoying little bells on your backpack. Nearly drives me mad and keeps the bears away supposedly.

You do have to put up with all those damned Aussies in winter though! wink

Also for those of you who have been well shaken recently in the near 8 years I've been up here I think I can remember only feeling an earthquake about 4 or 5 times. And none of them were more than a 3 on the Japanese scale. A gentle rolling rather than any violent shaking.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
sounds like heaven GN....if only I could convince my mrs to move sadface

Don't like the idea of walking into bears though, however rare that may be.

TB, I have had a few encounters with bears in North America. They literally want nothing to do with you unless you are in almost physical contact proximity of their cubs. Then it gets scary, but the likelyhood of that is very very low. You should be much more worried about being killed while driving than mauled by a bear.

GN, I could handle the Aussies, I spent a year in Oz and survived! wink

Mitch, yeah i know that its unlikely to ever get in a situation with one, I just have irrational fears over wildlife that can kill you......the worst we have in Scotland is people from Glasgow!

Mrs wouldn't entertain it though, she doesn't like the cold........I, for all my macho chest beating and meat eating have no authority in my house! sadface wink

Its not the heat that bothers me, its the humidity. I've endured 40 degree heat in Australia and didn't mind it so much, but when its humid and hot then its a problem

Hot again. I don't like the sound of that. Not good news for the electricity people either. On the bright side, maybe it will encourage a few more Tokyo folks to get up to Tohoku for a cool off trip.

As for Hokkaido, the eastern and northern sides don't get much snow but are very cold for about six months. A bit too bleak for me. The island as a whole is pretty much classic inaka, so many of the young people who can leave the small towns dotted about will do so as soon as they can, even if its just for Sapporo. Areas like Niseko and Furano will at least keep many of their young and attract other young Japanese from elsewhere. It must be hard to live in a town with few young people.

I don't like summer much, but I like cold summers even less (unless it's cold because I'm in the opposite hemisphere and it's winter!) - so yay for you guys that you should get a decent summer!

We're setting in for a long cold winter to match our long hot summer, I saw this fantastic article recently, written by someone who knows lots about snow sports and tourism.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/4911859/South-Island-tourism-hurting

my favourite bit is the caption "EMPTY SEATS: Queenstown has reported a significant slump in tourist numbers since the February 22 Christchurch earthquake."

Fact: it's autumn

Fact: those seats are empty because the ski season hasn't started yet

Since we are talking about bears....

If this summer is anything like last summer in Shizuoka I am going to be grumpier than a bear with a sore ass. I was planning on escaping back to Canada for the summer but as circumstances would have it that plan is out. Argh...Japanese summers. veryangry