All the people I know who have ridden Fuji have done it around the 13th May....

Conditions: Top -Hella icey, almost zero control

Middle -Not too bad

Bottom -Slush

But hey, to say you've ridden down Fuji would be awesome! I'd love to try...

OK. I might do this around golden week.

Required skill level?

Others know more than me but I'm looking into it and as far as I can tell...

Skiing: Able to keep it together on ice in very adverse conditions like wind, flat light, etc until you get down to the corn (I'm talking about snow).

Mountaineering: Doable. Crampons a good idea. Sounds like a real long slog. Important to choose the right time, weather and route, unless you're prepared for anything.

The worse kind of punter is the guy with ass-kicking skiing ability but relatively less mountaineering ability and knowledge (me).

I guess the kawaguchiko route makes the most sense. Maybe I'll ask black mountain...

Required skill level?

The one guy who almost died (from sliding on sheet ice ~200feet into rocks) was a pretty average rider -mostly piste and a little slackcountry... Everyone else was pretty competant in the backcountry....

Crampons would be compulsory, or at least real legit snowshoes with decent side rails...

I would like to do this at some point in my life. Cause I have climbed up the bastard. Maybe in the next couple of years. Maybe snowjapan can plan an event for next year.

I'll watch from afar.....I hated walking up that mountain in summer, throw in ice, snow and gear on ur back....I don't think it's gonna be any better in snowtime

At least the queues won't be so bad, Tubbs!

Would love to do this, but a bit above my range for now. Maybe in a few years after some crampon work.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'll be tenting Saturday night at the fifth station (or as close as we can get) on the true south side and climbing it Sunday. Say 'hi' if you happen to be on the same mountain. I'll be in yellow steeze. :sjcool:

At least the queues won't be so bad, Tubbs!

Would love to do this, but a bit above my range for now. Maybe in a few years after some crampon work.

There were no queues cos we decided to walk up the longest route that everyone only walks down......there were about 5 other people who walked up our route....all the huts/stations were closed.....it was the worst thing I've ever done

.....it was the worst thing I've ever done

Ha ha. Well, I walked up yesterday. Going up in the spring on snow on a sunny day is a pretty good option for anyone stupid enough to climb Fuji. All in all, the altitude almost made me puke and the skiing was far from great but it was an impressive climb. Maybe I'll do it again sometime.

Cool ger! I climbed up Shibutsu in Oze yesterday and boarded down but that doesn't compare to Fuji. I said I would never climb Fuji again unless it was with family members who haven't done it but I would make an exception if snowboarding was involved :lol: