I know it's a huge generalisation, but it's valid all the same.

Countries you have been to, how do you rate the friendliness of the natives?

Here's a few that were either + and - in my experience

Friendly:

- Japan

- UK

Not so:

- Switzerland

- France

Friendly

- Japanese

- Australians

- Vietnamese

- Germans

- Americans

- Polish

- Most Koreans

- British Northerners

- Singaporians

- Indonesians

- Taiwanese (half)

- Dutch

- Spanish (half)

- Greek (mostly)

- Indonesians

- Malaysians

Not so

- British southerners

- Some of the french in france

- Taiwanese (half)

- Spanish (half)

- Greek (a few)

There are a few more countries that I have been to, but don't remember what they were like. May be all good though!

Friendly

US

Indonesia

Fiji

Canada

Japan (more polite than friendly)

Chile

Brazil

New Zealand

Not so

UK

Mexico (because they think your a gringo)

France (because your not French)

I have found friendly people almost everywhere I have traveled, and funnily enough for a Sign Language Interpreter I have also bumped into deaf people all over the world - and they love to have a chat!

Notable exceptions:

France - they loved Papa because he spoke French, and his heritage is French (way back but nonetheless) - but I felt very unwelcome.

Switzerland on mountain. In the village they loved me with my fair skin, blue eyes and blonde hair. However the minute I covered that hair with a helmet, the eyes with goggles and rocked a snowboard I morphed into Satan, and a predatory Satan at that because I brought my children along into my evilness. lol

And while I found the Munchen people very friendly I was often nervous on the streets with all the gypsy's begging and looking at you as if they were about to pounce.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I have found friendly people almost everywhere I have traveled

Good point Mamabear.
Though definitely some valid generalisations.

I think the Swiss seem to be rather 'cold', for want of a better word. I'm sure they are friendly once you get to know them. You'd think they might be more friendly by nature though considering how much of their $$ comes from tourism.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Mexico (because they think your a gringo)

You are a Gringo! It doesn't matter what your country of origin is: If you're White, you're a Gringo as far as they're concerned.

Friendly:

Canada (BC)

Not so much:

Canada (Alberta)

Japan is really har to peg. I've been to places where the obvious gaijin is treated like a prince and the local Japanese are treated coldly, and other places where just the opposite happens.

Now that reminds me, I knew there were some other countires I had been to but had forgot, mamabear just reminded me. I went to switzerland, many years back on business, and went out one night in to one of the local towns, using the local train.

Anyway on the way back I got off at the wrong station and managed to find someone to ask, it was quite late.

They only spoke very little English, but were extremly helpful in guiding me in the right direction and even bought me a drink.

I remember thinking how very kind these people are.

But maybe I was just lucky or it was the area, but everywhere I went I found them to be friendly.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Friendly - 90%
Buttheads - 10%
Everywhere I've been, these proportions have held true within a percentage point or two.
Thus Slippery Jim's First Rule of Life: Avoid the 10%ers

Jim, are you a school teacher by any chance? Almost every school assembly i ever went to, the Principal would stand up there and say: Bla bla bla its the 10% that let the other 90% down!

Some people don't like the 'insincere' politeness that you sometimes get in Japan. But I will take that over couldn't give a shit attitude any day of the year.

thumbsup

So true @tokyo.

My Mum used to tell me that if you feel sad, just smile because the very act of smiling will lift your spirits, and the feedback you get from those around you because you are smiling will lift it even more.

Fake/insincere or not, it has gotta be better than the alternative and the grumpy nastiness it breeds.