Kagura side country Thursday 4/14? And trip report

Anyone keen for a kagura side country mission/Kagura ski area meet up tomorrow?

Am going and hope to do some hiking out the top if possible. Weather is looking good.

Went on Thursday. Amazing weather. The snow was super wety but good fun for sure. Here's a little vid. Still plenty of snow, and first time to ski in t-shirt for over 15 years. Will be back for sure, especially next season for some more side country action.

Thanks, glad people liked it. LordSalt, it is above the top pair lift. I hiked up twice. The first was at about 9.20 when snow was still firm enough to walk without sinking too much. Meaning I hiked a lot further around to skiers left., 2 valleys over from the lift. 2nd time was at 1pm, by which time the snow was extremely slushy. So went to top of ridgeline 1 over to the left. A couple of grandpas who skinned past me with ease, really showed me one big advantage of having a touring set up... next year smile

Originally Posted By: sand
Thanks, glad people liked it. LordSalt, it is above the top pair lift. I hiked up twice. The first was at about 9.20 when snow was still firm enough to walk without sinking too much. Meaning I hiked a lot further around to skiers left., 2 valleys over from the lift. 2nd time was at 1pm, by which time the snow was extremely slushy. So went to top of ridgeline 1 over to the left. A couple of grandpas who skinned past me with ease, really showed me one big advantage of having a touring set up... next year smile

Doooo it! Get the AT bindings haha

Originally Posted By: big-will
How long is that walk sand?

Cool vid.

My first walk was maybe 1hr 30min with stopping to take pictures and admire view.

2nd walk was about 30-35 mins in soft snow up to the main ridge line.

Mitch, my problem is choosing an AT setup. I will need step in as I want to continue to use my boots. Also, I do enjoy skiing fast and aggressively. Duke looks great but a little high off ski and Alltime is looking quite expensive?

You'll definitely be good with the Duke, Stu. You can't really notice the height off the ski. I used them all season in park, sidecountry, in bounds, etc and they work great!

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
You'll definitely be good with the Duke, Stu. You can't really notice the height off the ski. I used them all season in park, sidecountry, in bounds, etc and they work great!

True, either option is looking expensive here in Japan, but needs must.

I think so. I think I read somewhere last week that it opens late in the season.

I've only skied at kagura twice. Once Jan 2010 and again last week. So I'm probably wrong person to ask. I got a topographic map and some hiking/skiing routes of the net before I went.

• 2 weeks later...