Last night I was round at a friends house. Japanese friend, they obviously like fishy stuff and pickles. Went to get some milk for coffee in the fridge and was blasted by the most potent of smells. Pongy. Put me off my coffee.

I thought I'd just say that.

Tell them to put a glass of Bi Carb of Soda in there and change it each week. It absorbs any odours.

Also over here you can get Vanilla Fridge wipe and it makes the fridge smell YUMMY lol Maybe a few drops of vanilla essence will when cleaning will do the same thing.

You can buy some fridge de-smelling thingies here in the shops. Don't know what they have in them.

But I doubt they would do anything in this case - like I said it's 20km exclusion zone kind of situation!

Wife uses Baking soda and charcoal logs which she puts directly over her kimchi. It helps!! I like kimchi but some times the smell even with everything is too much.

I opened the fridge last night to see my wife had put a whole saucepan of soup in the fridge with no lid on.

Is this acceptable? I always make sure anything in the fridge is in an airtight container like tupperware or at least a bowl with clingfilm over it. If it is not airtight, it is going to go dry and spread germs etc.

It probably will dry up a bit. I'd worry more about bad taste/smells getting into the soup, but bacteria are definitely a concern, especially if there are like raw vegetables in the 'fridge. Soup is essentially petri-dish growth media waiting to be colonized!