The media are having a field day with this as you would expect.

If Rueters are to be believed then the comparison is not justified.

It's also no surprise that the anti-nuclear activists and people from the coal dominated energy sector are seizing on this as a golden opportunity to push their collective barrows.

Tons of people back home are surprised to hear that Fukushima is the name of a city and also the name of the large Prefecture. Not just of a nuclear plant.

Bet Fukushima-ken people wished the plant had been given a different name, hey.

One of the problems with the scale for nuclear accidents is that it only goes up to 7. Thing is if you extended out the scale I believe people have put Chernobyl up around a 12. Fukushima is only a 7 due to combining the total effects of all the reactors. Each reactor in isolation is no more than a 5. Overall there's no real comparison between the two events in terms of severity.

At Fukushima still not one death from radiation and as far as I know not one person admitted to hospital with acute radiation sickness.

This makes for an interesting read about the anti-nuclear lobby from an environmentalist.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/05/anti-nuclear-lobby-misled-world

Quote:
I've discovered that when the facts don't suit them, the movement resorts to the follies of cover-up they usually denounce

That kind of applies to so many things doesn't it.
Human nature perhaps.

From what I have read about Chernobyl. The containment walls were compromised and the radiation leaked out in massive doses killing thousands of people and leaving the land totally unusable. With Fukushima the containment walls are still unintacted and there is only minimal radiation leakage. wakaranai

One tenth they say now, but increasing.

But I don't think that's the point really. The point is that Fukushima (Japan?) is now assiciated with Chernobyl around the world.

Originally Posted By: BillTheBinMan
Always wondered what a field day was wink

It's very unfortunate that it is sharing headlines with Cherynobyl which it will be forever associated with now.

I always thought it was a universal expression.

There was a lot anti-soviet sentiment in the 80's. Western media had 'field day' with it. It's like nobody bothers to check the facts.

Why let facts get in the way of a good story? Having a sensational headline sells, and many media outlets are businesses that seem to think their bottom line is more important than the truth.

That's an interesting article from the Guardian GN. How can casualty estimates range from a around 6000 to nearly 1000 000 ? I guess they were quite happy to blame every single case of cancer in Western Europe for the next decade on Chernobyl.

Somewhere in there we could put the figure 600 000 in for a bit of a reference.

That's how many Iraqi civilians have been killed by coalition forces.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
That's an interesting article from the Guardian GN. How can casualty estimates range from a around 6000 to nearly 1000 000 ? I guess they were quite happy to blame every single case of cancer in Western Europe for the next decade on Chernobyl.

Somewhere in there we could put the figure 600 000 in for a bit of a reference.
That's how many Iraqi civilians have been killed by coalition forces.

I have been against the Iraq invasion from the beginning, however 600,000 is a very inaccurate number. There have been a significant amount of civilian casualties, which is absolutely not justified, however 600,000 is completely unfounded.

As mistaken as it is, do many people want to go to Chernobyl or the surrounding area?

Sorry, my bad, I put one too many naughts on. I got the figure from Wikileaks.

Quote:
The Iraq War documents leak is the unsanctioned disclosure of a collection of 391,832 United States Army field reports, also called the Iraq War Logs, of the Iraq War from 2004 to 2009 to several international media organizations and published on the Internet by WikiLeaks on 22 October 2010.[1][2][3] The files record 66,081 civilian deaths out of 109,000 recorded deaths.[2][3][4][5][6] The leak resulted in the Iraq Body Count project adding 15,000 civilian deaths to their count, bringing their total to over 150,000, with roughly 80% of those civilians.[7] It is the biggest leak in the military history of the United States,[1][8] surpassing the Afghan War documents leak of 25 July 2010.[9]

There, sixty thousand dead civilians is much better. friend

Sorry, my bad, I put one too many naughts on. I got the figure from Wikileaks.
Quote:
The Iraq War documents leak is the unsanctioned disclosure of a collection of 391,832 United States Army field reports, also called the Iraq War Logs, of the Iraq War from 2004 to 2009 to several international media organizations and published on the Internet by WikiLeaks on 22 October 2010.[1][2][3] The files record 66,081 civilian deaths out of 109,000 recorded deaths.[2][3][4][5][6] The leak resulted in the Iraq Body Count project adding 15,000 civilian deaths to their count, bringing their total to over 150,000, with roughly 80% of those civilians.[7] It is the biggest leak in the military history of the United States,[1][8] surpassing the Afghan War documents leak of 25 July 2010.[9]

There, sixty thousand dead civilians is much better. friend

I didn't mean to defer from the point. 60,000 sucks, hell 6 sucks. I don't think even six should have been killed. I sure as hell don't support our occupancy of any country based on false pretenses cheers

Back to Chernobyl vs Fukushima, there is simply no comparison until the radiation levels emitted from Fukushima Daiichi reach the same level, and intensity, as Chernobyl.

The IAEA scale is rather like the Shindo scale. Whilst an earthquake might be a shindo 4 in Japan, it might be a shindo 7 elesewhere due to differences in building designs. The IAEA scale is similar with a level 7 being a major release of radio­active ­material with widespread health and environmental effects requiring implementation of planned and extended ­countermeasures

Well what units of radiation makes an incident an accident and as such, a level 7 accident.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Back to Chernobyl vs Fukushima, there is simply no comparison until the radiation levels emitted from Fukushima Daiichi reach the same level, and intensity, as Chernobyl.

Tell that to the world Rob!
I think Chernobyl has become a euphemism for a nuclear disaster, much in the same way Mc Donalds is a euphemism for junk food.

No shit Sherlock. Nothing gets passed you eh? wink