Child care costs + other social stuff

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
any big city has the same plethora of around the world eats.....doesn't have any impact on how racist or discriminatory a place is

I didn't say it did. Just a casual observation.

I've lived and worked in the UK many times over the last 20 years. My wife and daughter are there now visiting family. I can tell you that the first time I've ever heard someone referred to as a nigger, other than on TV, was from a middle aged well educated English gent. Wogs, Paki's ect. were words used to describe lots of other undesirables, from loads of other people. It was fairly common to say these things. I went to a wedding where a guy got up and told a joke about black people stealing stuff in the workplace. I couldn't believe it!

Now if I was to use this 'personal experience' to form an opinion on the level of racism in the UK, then I'd be way off the mark wouldn't I?

Assimilation ........As a white Australian living in Japan I'm not sure how I should set about that. I read and speak the language but I don't think I'll ever be completely assimilated nor do I think I want to be.

I have the greatest respect for anybody in Australia or elsewhere who is willing to completely assimilate as it means giving up a part of your cultural heritage.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
any big city has the same plethora of around the world eats.....doesn't have any impact on how racist or discriminatory a place is

I didn't say it did. Just a casual observation.

I've lived and worked in the UK many times over the last 20 years. My wife and daughter are there now visiting family. I can tell you that the first time I've ever heard someone referred to as a nigger, other than on TV, was from a middle aged English country gent. Wogs, Paki's ect. were words used to describe lots of other undesirables, from loads of other people. It was fairly common to say these things. I went to a wedding where a guy got up and told a joke about a black people stealing stuff in the workplace. I couldn't believe it!

Now if I was to use this 'personal experience' to form an opinion on the level of racism in the UK, then I'd be way off the mark wouldn't I?

I didn't infer that the UK was discrimination free, it isn't. But in my experience it was more acceptable for people to make racist remarks in public in Oz than it was at home. The amount of people having them views is very likely just as high but its not as common for them to publicly voice them
Originally Posted By: arcadia
Assimilation ........As a white Australian living in Japan I'm not sure how I should set about that. I read and speak the language but I don't think I'll ever be completely assimilated nor do I think I want to be.
I have the greatest respect for anybody in Australia or elsewhere who is willing to completely assimilate as it means giving up a part of your cultural heritage.

You wouldn't be able to anyway mate. Those barriers are enshrined in Japanese race laws.

I don't think anyone expects the newly arrived immigrant to give up their cultural heritage. Only to put their set of values, language etc. second to the new country that they now call home. Failure to learn the new language, even to a basic level is a massive barrier to assimilation/integration and that's just from a practical point. Plenty of dead construction and factory worker's families can attest to that.
Concealing one's face completely also not helpful if you want to communicate to your new fellow countrymen, especially if you are trying to be identified by a police officer. Some Australian immigrants are totally unwilling to part with even the smallest part of the culture of the country they just up and left.
These aren't necessarily my opinions but I hear about these issues repeatedly.