Hi all, new here

wave

Sorry to hear what's going on over there. Very sad.

Hope it all clears up soon.

Anyhoos, I was thinking of doing Japan sometime and actually all this lot has really made me think about doing it more - in a positive way. Never been, but heard good things and I'm also thinking in my own selfish way that I might get some good deals as the market drops. But in my kind way, going to support and spend my cash in Japan. wink

I'm not going to make any decision until way later in the year, not just because of the ongoing saga but also because of work.

But hope to see you over there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome gedem! Definitely come and spend your cash here - it's a great place with great people, great food, great drink and of course, great snow!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Welcome Gedem,
It is well worth the trip.
And if others do stay away you might have freshies all to yourself.

this is my dilemma now - next season in Japan could be the one time we got Noz to ourselves, minus all the annoying families who thinking that yelling crosses language barriers

"I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK FOR HOT CHOCOLATE" manager comes out, waitress looks ready to cry "THANK YOU FOR GIVING SON - points furiously at her son - A FREE HOT CHOCOLATE" cue manager looking angry and giving her some in Japanese, brilliant.

But I REALLY want to go to the US and Canada.

MB what are we to do? Are you still planning US and Euro instead of Japan next season?

lol

Minty I could hug you!

I am having the exact same dilemma.

We are committed to the Euro trip with friends, and also committed to go to the US for the NJ snowpark opening - but if finances will stretch (and I mean S-T-R-E-T-C-H) I might be able to drag Papa over for a quick Honshu jaunt. (The strong Aussie Dollar might help with that stretch wink )

Haha, we'll be stretching just to make it on one trip - fingers crossed I get a new job soon as my mall fell down.

But, if we won lotto Mr Minty and I would spend a few weeks in the USA/Canada, and the rest of northern winter in Japan!

The yen is pretty stable against the NZD, but the USD is generally in decline against NZD...

I hope you will come and many more.

We will be very welcoming of all visitors I am sure.

I think it is too early to know about what accommodations plan to do for next season, as the story is still happening. It will be a while before anyone gets much of an idea of things. I think next season will in general be 'booked late' by most. Of course, not all.

Happy planning!

Good luck to you Zao and Tohoku people.

It might be a good idea to have a thread specifically for information on all the Tohoku resorts to encourage more people to go there.

Rates are out for Niseko apartments for next season....about a 5% increase from this year.

Early bird deals are much the same, they run until about June but limited availability so could sell out before then. Same as always, prices will get more expensive as the year goes on.

Originally Posted By: acpowman
Rates are out for Niseko apartments for next season....about a 5% increase from this year.
Early bird deals are much the same, they run until about June but limited availability so could sell out before then. Same as always, prices will get more expensive as the year goes on.

Would not have been my strategy.

With the Aus dollar so strong against the US and Canadians dollars, it seems a strange stategy. Much as I want to return to Japan it only pushes Nth America's case for a look at again next season.

I for one will do the sums. Interesting to see what airfares to Japan do.

Originally Posted By: acpowman
What dates are the effected by the higher prices for the Chinese New Year acpowman?
Originally Posted By: TropicalPow

With the Aus dollar so strong against the US and Canadians dollars, it seems a strange stategy. Much as I want to return to Japan it only pushes Nth America's case for a look at again next season.

I for one will do the sums. Interesting to see what airfares to Japan do.

I would suggest that it will be the only resort of the 500+ in Japan who will follow that strategy.

I suspect, if early bookings aren't that good, that we'll see 'early bird' discounts extend much later than usual. I'll ask around and see how things are going. Not that you usually have a whole heap of confirmed bookings (deposits paid) in April though anyway.

I worked for a guy once and his mantra was

'don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions'

to that end my strategy (if I was an accommodation provider in Niseko) would be to contact my database of customers and say

you chose Niseko when it was far from developed, come back and see the improvements. and get x% off the rack rate

why should someone who's never been to niseko benefit from the patronage of others who've not been re-invited

Well we have done Japan 6 years running. Mr Snowhunter is looking at Heli Skiing NZ this year because of the good NZ dollar and then Canada is looking mighty appealing for next season. It is not because of the unfolding drama's in Japan that we are not coming to Japan but because of the good dollar everywhere! sadface