• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it really quite curious how some people seem to get so uppity about others not wanting to come to Japan, for whatever reason.

wakaranai

It's as if there's some sort of obligation for these strangers to get here or something, then being mocked when they say they won't be coming.

What's with that?

confused

People cant be bullied into coming to Japan. I think TJ is trying to see how to begin to market for next season. Also, there are pensions here thinking about just not even opening next season. The year might be a right off anyways. What people are thinking is very important, even if it doesn't match the reality of where people are in Japan.

What people are thinking is very important yes, but why mock them when their thinking is simply different to yours. (Not you in particular, rider).

If I didn't know Japan and didn't know people here etc and had a list of other places I also wanted to go visit sometime, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't come to Japan this next season! That's if I was making a decision soon. Later in the year, who knows.

I just think it's way too early.

People may be more receptive when we get closer to the season in the fall months perhaps and hopefully some kind of good news re: Fukushima.

Right now though, you really can't expect many of the general public to be too positive about visiting Japan.

Calling people wusses, pricks or whatever is just... childish.

That seems to be the opinion of a few people I know with places... things will happen later. The last few years bookings and the like had been coming in earlier and earlier each season, but they will probably take a shunt back to autumn and the run up to the season this time round.

Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: blef
...All the things going on certainly don't add to the case for Japan thumbsup

They also don't detract from the beauty and fabulousness of the snow there!

Don't be a wusss, go to Japan next season! wink biggrin

Don't know if I would go so far as to call the above post "uppity" or "mocking". Mine was, but that's not because of his choice of holiday destination so much as his OTT reaction to JA's friendly post.

Yes he used the work wusss - it was clearly a joke - see smilies afterward for clarification of meaning.
I used the word prick but not towards a non japan visitor (that may or may not be an alter ego of one of you lot)

One of the main reasons I think Niseko will really hurt next season is that most of the development here over the last 7 or so years has been aimed at the higher end of the ski market. That end of the market is just as or even more interested in the quality of accommodation and services as they are about the snow quality. It's not just about the skiing for them. Also the fact that they are choosing to stay in luxury, western-style accommodation in Hirafu generally means that the whole cultural aspect isn't incredibly important to them. It's a very lucrative market but it's also a market that has the money that they can pick and choose anywhere in the world for their holiday. And they can definitely stay at much better designed and user friendly resorts with much better services in the US, Canada or Europe (a few of these resorts even have similarly good snow conditions!). A big part of this market is families and whether the perceived risks are well founded or not I believe a big portion will go elsewhere next season. As so many of the businesses here rely on this market I believe there's definitely some very hard times ahead. The fact that they are still going ahead with building more accommodation isn't going to help the situation at all!

Interesting that Go Native.

I suppose Yuzawa and this area is not dependent on that market or certainly anywhere near like Niseko is. And lots of Yuzawa bookings traditionally come in autumn and early winter anyway rather than summer so hopefully with more positive news by autumn things might not be THAT affected in this area.

It sure will be interesting to see what happens though.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I find it really quite curious how some people seem to get so uppity about others not wanting to come to Japan, for whatever reason.
wakaranai
It's as if there's some sort of obligation for these strangers to get here or something, then being mocked when they say they won't be coming.
What's with that?
confused
Originally Posted By: Go Native
One of the main reasons I think Niseko will really hurt next season is that most of the development here over the last 7 or so years has been aimed at the higher end of the ski market. That end of the market is just as or even more interested in the quality of accommodation and services as they are about the snow quality. It's not just about the skiing for them. Also the fact that they are choosing to stay in luxury, western-style accommodation in Hirafu generally means that the whole cultural aspect isn't incredibly important to them. It's a very lucrative market but it's also a market that has the money that they can pick and choose anywhere in the world for their holiday. And they can definitely stay at much better designed and user friendly resorts with much better services in the US, Canada or Europe (a few of these resorts even have similarly good snow conditions!). A big part of this market is families and whether the perceived risks are well founded or not I believe a big portion will go elsewhere next season. As so many of the businesses here rely on this market I believe there's definitely some very hard times ahead. The fact that they are still going ahead with building more accommodation isn't going to help the situation at all!

Very interesting, and cannot help myself smiling that I agree.
Also can´t help thinking it´s another Naeba situation, but the motives of the investment is purely for profit and for foreign investers.
But like GN said in the past, there are others, who are on budget, b´packers, etc and Niseko do cater for them. It might be better that it chills out a bit. Maybe you can see Japanese there again lol

I have been emailing a few accommodation houses this week and I'm quite surprised by what seems to be an increase in accommodation costs compared with what i was paying this year at similar places.

Originally Posted By: PWL
Perhaps the late bird gets the deals this time round......

earlybird deals are out, they won't get any better later in the year, but they may extend the current deals if no one bites.