1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

to be fair....if things are the same as they are today, I don't see why people would avoid coming to ski/ride Japan unless they were big believers in what the foreign media are saying.......and heres's the crux........of course those that may be affected from Japan travel will be those who live abroad and are affected by the craziness that the foreign media print. Tourism is one of the first areas/businesses that take a nose dive after a major event, thats the nature of the business....but c'mon people, lets stop arguing about who's papering over who's cracks. On this website there are people who have nowt to do with the snow/tourism industy (like myself), but who definitely want it to succeed and there are those who have an interest and lets be honest, will be creative in their truth. However BOTH parties definitely want Japan to bounce back. What has happened is an absolute tragedy and I only thank all the atheist lords that everyone on here (as I know them) seems to be ok. Lets not make it a pissing contest as to who, what or where is carrying the last light for Japan skiing, lets at least make it so that people who are on the fence can come here and see what the locals.....ie US........are saying and make an informed choice for themselves, hopefully in the positive manner that will also give the country and the industry the shot in the arm it'll definitely need in the coming months and possibly year.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that seems to have worked, mate!

AUD - JPY now at 83yen/dollar. Best for ages!

Might have to get some for next January!

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Im coming again as the odds of such a disaster happening again are the same as they were this year. Long.

Come to chch (Mt Hutt/Porters/club fields) for your southern winter fix too

Shake shake shake!

I will visit in Feb..

Japan dose not need a handout. They want people to spend at their shops, drink at their bars and ski or board at their resorts.

I am still planning my trip bit thats a long way off at this stage.

I have to admit after thinking about it. I would invest in some grey matter into what I would need to do in-case there is another problem over there.

That and pack the abseil kit... The hotel I was staying in at Tokyo did not have a staircase.. smile

Originally Posted By: shadowtec

That and pack the abseil kit... The hotel I was staying in at Tokyo did not have a staircase.. smile

Good call - a guy here in chch helped his workmates abseil down to a carparking building (he had to be rescued with a crane I think) because their stairwell collapsed.

Lots of stairwells collapsed actually.
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Im coming again as the odds of such a disaster happening again are the same as they were this year. Long.

Come to chch (Mt Hutt/Porters/club fields) for your southern winter fix too

Shake shake shake!

Nah pass, may go to Queenstown to visit some mates but that would be it re spending snow $ in Aus/NZ.

I was all on for a Japan trip but the thought is on hold at the moment. With the situation in that Fukushima plant and also what looks like a hell of a LOT of earthquakes rattling the north half of Honshu, I've got to say that other more 'stable' places are looking more attractive.

When a ton of people who actually live there want to get out, it's not the best sign for getting people to go and visit!

I do want to get to Japan though. I'm hoping things settle down for you guys fairly soon.

I am booking my next trip to japan within the next week. We will be heading to Furano and Rusutsu in January 2012. I personally don't think that Hokkaido will be affected by even the worst forseeable outcome at Fukishima. We have decided to fly via Hong Kong instead of Tokyo, but that was forced on us as Quantas have stopped flying from Perth to Narita. One thing I have been wondering, has there been many avalanches in northern Honshu with all the aftershocks that keep happening?

after the poor service we received from a certain airline on our last trip, we were not planning on flying with them again anyway, so the fact that they have stopped flying Perth to Narita doesn't bother me too much.

I hear ya!

Sadly for me the quick direct flight meant I was prepared to put up with crap service, broken seats, old planes - even a diversion to the Philippines for a medical emergency. LOL

Without a direct flight a quick trip for a few days on snow on Honshu is not going to be an option.

Was a rather convenient overnighter.

Boarding about 10.30/11pm - arrive 8am (from memory - you would think I would have it down pat - done the flight a few times now!)

If you can sleep on a plane it means not really losing any time in travel. Finish work in Perth at the regular time one day - wake up in Japan.

Originally Posted By: surfarthur
One thing I have been wondering, has there been many avalanches in northern Honshu with all the aftershocks that keep happening?

I was in the backcountry with a group who were standing in a pit when the big one happened. No snow movement at that time occurred luckily. I actually thought the rumble was an avi close by. I have not studied the event of avi's in an earthquake situation however I thought afterwards if it was going to go, then it should have released where we were as we had compromised the slope.

The next day I counted well over 20 avalanches in the Hakuba back country. The 2 big quakes had a significant impact on the Northern Alps. At the time the snow-pack was quite dangerous as well though. It was not the time to be in many back country areas really.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Well we have done Japan 6 years running. Mr Snowhunter is looking at Heli Skiing NZ this year because of the good NZ dollar and then Canada is looking mighty appealing for next season. It is not because of the unfolding drama's in Japan that we are not coming to Japan but because of the good dollar everywhere! sadface

Well Mr Snowhunter is getting his trip all ready. GUESS WHAT I am coming back to Japan and I can't wait. I will go stay with my friends in Oita then go up to Hokkaido for 3 weeks. biggrin