1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I am interested in peoples thoughts for next season. Please only vote if you do not live in Japan. If you are coming to Japan on a holiday then just a post would be good.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine that the reason would be a combination of some of those, not just one. Poll is a bit useless, no?

Top tip: Surely the most common general reason is missing.... something along the lines of "Other places I want to visit just don't have any of this shit going on"

Theres discussions about peoples plans for visiting Japan in 2011/12. It appears to me there are still a huge number planning on coming, the thing will be, if the reactor situation gets worse and if if continues on for many months then I suspect many will look at Canada and the US for that season.

I was planning on meeting another family in Japan next season but they have chosen the Canadian option now.

The only thing that would deter me from returning to Japan next season , would be a too strong yen, given the weakness of the US dollar it makes a US trip more attractive.

The current situation in Japan would however make me keener to return and support the economey.

I will be going back, started the planning already. My initial group of 8 people who were planning on coming is now down to 5 but that is fair enough. Funny enough it is the 'first timers' that have pulled out.

Before these terrible events even occurred I had decided to fly via Hong Kong and then directly to Sapporro but that was based on having been to Tokyo/Osaka for the last 5 years and i wanted something different this time.

We would not be deterred by earthquakes at all - we live in Christchurch.

Again, we would not be deterred by it being a disaster zone - we live in one, and we know how important continuing tourism is.

We would not be deterred by the threat of a tsunami, because good luck getting us in the mountains.

I would not be deterred by the "nuclear threat" because I think the media reporting is terrible and essentially scaremongering (however Mr Minty doesn't have cynical parents who question the media, so he believes what they say)

We are *probably* not going to Japan for the 11/12 season because we are looking at flying into LA, going and seeing my dad and his family in San Diego, and then driving up to Canada and skiing for a week or two.

Just got a little harder to fly to Japan and for that matter Minty , Christchurch ,as good old Qantas has suspended flights to both destinations [ No mention for how long].

The guess is these will be serviced by Jetstar only in the future[ or " going forward' in economic speak.]

Originally Posted By: TropicalPow

Just got a little harder to fly to Japan and for that matter Minty , Christchurch ,as good old Qantas has suspended flights to both destinations [ No mention for how long].
The guess is these will be serviced by Jetstar only in the future[ or " going forward' in economic speak.]

That is absurd. Luckily we have Air Asia still operating out of Chch

I'll be there January! Dunno where, but likely Myoko Kogen again! If you try to keep me out, I'll sic Sandy-san onto you so I am allowed to return.

The longer this goes on, and the bigger this debate gets the more I feel guilty that our preplanned future plans for next season are not in Japan.

Almost at the tipping point to just add a trip!

Duh!! because the place is ...

in need of support from tourists,

a damned good place to ski,

full of the most gentle and friendly people imaginable.

Need I go on?

(Did I get it right, mama??)

Originally Posted By: JA
Duh!! because the place is ...
in need of support from tourists,
a damned good place to ski,
full of the most gentle and friendly people imaginable.

Need I go on?
(Did I get it right, mama??)
You know me too well Mr A wink

Yes. That would be correct.

Prior to this natural disaster PB decided that we would be going to Europe - it is with another couple and something they have wanted to do for a while. Locked in.

The (also prior) the invite went out to the USA.

There is only so much money in the bears piggy bank, so a side trip to Japan was off the table.

I now feel somehow that I am abandoning my favorite place to board in her hour of need....

But I have heard many times on here that everything was just normal in Niseko and Hakuba.

I'm ever so confused now.

confused

(It's even more confusing than the ever-puzzling Santa in Oz predicclement.) wink

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
But I have heard many times on here that everything was just normal in Niseko and Hakuba.
I'm ever so confused now.
confused

(It's even more confusing than the ever-puzzling Santa in Oz predicclement.) wink

I know I am taking the bait here but... (and lets keep it civil - I am a tad fragile today - was right ready to rip someone a new orifice until I got my endorphins on in a rather punishing personal training session...peeps messing with my bear cubs tends to bring out the crazy in me wink )

Infrastructure, electricity supply, food supply, petrol etc are all normal (at least up in Niseko, and probably mostly in Hakuba), but the harsh reality of holidaymakers and perception means that undoubtedly there will be a huge loss in tourism. And this will extend not only to the ski resorts, but also Tokyo, Kyoto, and many other area's in Japan.

So it is not so confusing to say 'everything is normal' but there will be an impact because lots of people don't think things are normal or are scared that things wont be normal when they get there.

Fairy nuff?

Fair enough for sure.

I was simply pointing out some 'messages' that are floating about that may and do come across as being inconsistent.

Don't rip someone apart there! (and if you can explain the Santa thing again) wink

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Infrastructure, electricity supply, food supply, petrol etc are all normal (at least up in Niseko, and probably mostly in Hakuba),

Niigata:

Food supply - not normal some things in short supply and some things like veggies getting expensive. Must be the extra layer of gunk on them. wink
Electricity supply - people cutting back so a strange not normal feeling to the place
Petrol - limited to 20 l in most places

Pie eater if you can show any post or any information from anywhere that suggests that there are issues in Niseko (beyond all the cancellations) as a result of what occurred down south I'd like to see it. Anything that would suggest inconsistency at all? Anyone from anywhere in Hokkaido that has given you other information that would make you think some here aren't giving factual information?

None whatsover at all Go Native, of course.... I don't think you would see any of they hit you in the head!

I can't be arsed to cut and paste. Anyway I'm not a fighter, so, for that reason, I'm out.

Hoping that this becomes something of a non-issue.

Peace to all.

friend

I'm encouraging my friends to not read silly stuff and make a decision in the autumn, like there were going to do previously actually. I'm pretty sure they will still come.

friend

My wife and I were genuinely moved by the country that we saw in January. The places and the people. I have been to many places around the world and no place has moved us like Japan.

We will be there for sure next January. And the one after that and the one after ..... etc.