Expensive lesson to learn. Everyone should remember that one way tickets in Japan are quite often more expensive than return tickets. In fact, not long ago travel agents had to change the way they did business because people (mostly foreigners) were buying return tickets (because they were cheaper) and not using the return portion (effectively making it a one way ticket).

Well, in some cases some travel agents stopped offering the discounted flights to foreigners. In other cases they tied the flights in with other things like hotel packages and tours. Basically, they have stopped offering the really cheap flights on their own. That's why you can now find packaged holidays that are significantly cheaper than flights on their own. (Not the massive tour bus packages though, those are a different beast all together)

I'm not a fan of all the hidden charges etc. with the low cost airlines, but Easyjet etc. have definitely made one-way trips and traveling A-B-C-A much much cheaper than it used to be.

Totally off topic but I went on the A380 for this first time today. Was completely unimpressed! The only thing new on it is a box next to the window to put bags in.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
It sounds like a number of airlines are starting to cut flights to Japan. Lets hope this is just a short term measure.

Lufthansa did cut some flights to JP but is resuming most services now.

I did a quick online check on lufthansa.com for Tokyo-London-Tokyo next week. Would cost HK$ 17308.00 that's ¥184,620

The leg to FRA is handled by ANA. Maybe there are cheaper dates or options.

Same with Emirates is ¥112,860

All ¥ include tax.

Originally Posted By: tokabochi
Felt much more shaking over there recently?

No, toka, though I think Tokamachi might have had a few small wobbles more than here. Nothing major though, touch wood.

friend

Give us a call when you are back.