The other day I was looking at the BA website for flights back to the UK.

Other airlines including KLM were around 130,000yen, all inclusive.

BA? Four times that amount. The 'national carrier' really looking after the people there.

Immoral? Or 'Its just supply and demand, its a business'?

Supply should be double now they fly out of Haneda too. You wouldn't think that many people would have booked in advance to go to the UK in March. Not those who know what its like compared to the summer anyway. Cue the broken record, but I bet last minute flights from the UK to Japan on the same planes aren't the price you were quoted.

We booked last month, but we're going ANA to Paris on May 30. Its about 110000 all in and we get just about enough airmiles for a trip to Okinawa when we get back. We're not going straight there, but EasyJet fly Paris Newcastle out of CDG. We might do that on the way back.

we were talking about this the other day. Suppose the Nuclear disaster was apocalyptic and the whole of Japan was engulfed by harmful levels of radiation and there needed to be a mass evac of people, its kind of immoral for these companies to be making money out of it, don't you think? I can see the other side too, like it does cost a lot of money to operate planes etc, but do you think the airlines would drop their prices to only cover costs or do you think that the various governments would cover or subsidise each place on the plane? or that as demand outstripped supply, the price of a seat on a plane out of Japan would continue to sky rocket and the greedy fat cat's would be foaming at the mouth in celebration?

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Suppose the Nuclear disaster was apocalyptic and the whole of Japan was engulfed by harmful levels of radiation and there needed to be a mass evac of people

Hold on a sec, Tb, so you mean.... it isn't?!?!

doh

Think of it like this though, you can later use the fallout shelter for stocking many tins of baked beans. Or use it for some alternative pervy play sex sessions. Or perhaps even both!!! You could also very probably stock HP Sauce as well. Depending on how big the shelter is, of course and so I am just guessing as you haven't given us the exact specifications.

I should have taken a screenshot.

The very same route, day, KLM were just over 130000 yen all inclusive.

Ba offered a few alternatives. The cheapest was I recall 510,000 yen with another option being more than 700,000 yen. I am not kidding. All economy.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
doh

Think of it like this though, you can later use the fallout shelter for stocking many tins of baked beans. Or use it for some alternative pervy play sex sessions. Or perhaps even both!!! You could also very probably stock HP Sauce as well. Depending on how big the shelter is, of course and so I am just guessing as you haven't given us the exact specifications.

I think all this tragedy is killing off your brain cells guys!
slap

WINE CELLAR!!!!
highfive

Mamabear, not only do most of us now have 2 heads, and therefore improved brain capacity, but our brains have been modified!

You're just jealous, I can tell!

wink

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
doh

hmm.... confused ....food for thought Pie. It IS big enough for a Tubby Beaver and quite a bit smaller Mrs Tubby Beaver (she isn't Tubby....don't tell her I said that! shifty ). If I take out the portable toilet and install a 2nd beer tap, we could have a beer tap each at least I could pee out the door without going outside

re. "expensive flights"

usually it is expat companies paying for their pampered execs to fly back, therefore BA can charge what they want.

re. "Suppose the Nuclear disaster was apocalyptic "

Your embassy would pay for your flight.

e.g. British Embassy gave free flights to those who were directly affected by this earthquake. And in small african countries that suddenly go into to civil war, you hear about embassies sending in the army to get their civilian countrymen out. They are not going to just leave you, thats what all those visa fees are saved up for! And that is good thing about being an expat, because the Japanese gov surely arent going to arrange planes for a few million people to go exodus.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
re. "expensive flights"

usually it is expat companies paying for their pampered execs to fly back, therefore BA can charge what they want.

I'm pretty sure they all go business or above.

There's more peasants flying Economy on any one BA flight back to the UK than bubble-life-living execs who think they are kings.

The fact is, BA are just exploiting the situation when others aren't and it is pretty disgusting.

Yes i agree BA are exploiting and I hate them for some reason even though I have never flown them.

A lot of businessmen and expats fly economy. A lot of Japanese companies, even huge ones have a policy to use economy class for most people except the real elite Directors and so on. On the opposite side, I know some tiny companies that will use business class every time.

a mate of mines flew home the other day, paid 160k for a 1 way ticket. He has bought another 1 way ticket back from the UK and it only cost him 40k! (I have no idea why he didn't buy a return, he could've got one cheaper than the 200k in total he's paid)

no he deliberately only booked a 1 way, I've spoke to him today on Facebook, said he thought he'd get a return flight cheaper from the UK, which he has BUT combined with the flight out he has paid much more.....he doesn't always have rational thought! smile