Real Nozawa Now Report - March 19th

Before you read my little bit of jibberish on my day at Nozawa,, please check these out

1. http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=40

Check what the current depth reads..

2. http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nozawa-now.php

Spot the difference in reported snow depths ??

Also in the Nozwawa now report it goes on about the great powder on the Yamabiko run.. But you cant get up there due to the damaged gondola,, lifts and flattened restaurant..

Why mention it ?

Why not talk about the real conditions ?

You can only get 1/2 way up the mountain till the end of the season..Highest you can get is Paradise run..

My day at Nozawa..19th March 2011

I went to Nozawa on the reports and recent news of fresh snow.

I wasnt upset i couldnt get to the top and do tree runs as usual. I thought it would be a good chance to explore the rest of the mountain that i have never checked out.

Lift ticket was 3500.

Not many people around,, but i did see 2 other "gaijin",, thought they had all buggered off back home due to recent events and the mad panic..

Of course never waited for a lift,,nor had to dodge many fallen beginners..

Mostly skiers going as fast as the could on the icy slopes..

I went up the Nagasaka Gondola to the "turn".. Thats as far as it would go due to damage etc..

I explored pretty much all the left hand side of the mountain (looking up from the bottom).

Honestly the snow conditions were awful..

Felt like they had groomed it with a steamroller..

I spotted what i thought was soft stuff on the edges so went in.. It was like trying to ride on a pavlova.. Hard and crusty on top with white goo / slush underneath.

As the day wore on it became hotter and obviously the concrete snow turned into a slush pit.

I like Nozawa Onsen and will go again next season,, but i was a bit pissed off at the Nozawa now reports as they are nowhere close to the real conditions..

@Cheeseman..

Sorry,, i ate the cheese with his friend vegemite.. Forgot to take a pic veryshocked

**Sorry if this sounds negative,, but i tell it like it is**

• SnowJapan Admin

It's very late.

I will respond to this in the morning.

Anyone reading this before I post a response.... please come back to see what I say.

Thanks.

• SnowJapan Admin

Pezby

I do not know if you post this kind of thing just to stoke things up and get a response or not, but you seem to have a habit making grand accusations.

(One example: in this thread for instance you accused us of stuff regarding lift tickets. And yes I see that you happily accepted free 2 lift tickets to Madarao from us this season).

I really do not appreciate it and I find the tone of your accusations offensive.

A lot of effort goes into our reports. They are provided free of charge, to everyone, and with the very best of intentions. And right at this moment also some of them are being done in rather difficult circumstances.

They are certainly not there to try and paint a different picture to the reality. Yes, different people may have different thoughts on wording or phrases in a report here and there etc, but that is to be expected when different people are writing each one and everyone has different writing styles.

We stand 100% fully by what is in the reports though. Even though I find responding to every little niggle you throw our way annoying, in this case I will do it as you have accused us of things in public on our own site. Your suggestions are that our reports are misleading are false as I will note at the bottom of this post.

If you are "pissed off" at our reports then simply ignore them and please don't use our site and take up our resources.

But if you do continue to use the site, rather than throw baseless accusations around that are thick with attitude as you have here and previously, why don't you just send us an email and point out what you think we are posting that is incorrect.... and we will look into it and certainly respond. If we have made a mistake, we will happily admit it and correct it.

We're quite fine receiving critisism for things that we do. But we're not fine with the attitude and putting us on the defence for things such as above. I'm pretty sure that positions were changed most people would feel exactly the same way.

It disappoints me greatly that some people see fit to post like you have above.

---------

Nozawa's official website:

http://www.nozawaski.com/winter/course/index.php

やまびこゲレンデ 更新: 03月20日 08:06 350cm 0cm ℃ 圧雪

上ノ平ゲレンデ 更新: 03月20日 08:06 305cm 0cm ℃ 圧雪

日影ゲレンデ 更新: 03月20日 08:01 160cm 0cm 5 ℃ 圧雪

長坂ゲレンデ 更新: 03月20日 08:02 150cm 0cm 1 ℃ 圧雪

柄沢ゲレンデ 更新: 03月20日 08:02 100cm 0cm 7 ℃ 圧雪

As you can see, Higake is 160cm.

Yesterday, when the report was made it was 200cm.

These are the numbers that we put on our Now report, checked on the official site every day.

As for the number on the resort page. That is also being reported by the resort - we don't do that update manually, it is done automatically and comes from the resort. I do not have the time or inclination right now to do a full investigative report, but I'm pretty certain that they will be consistent. After all, it's all data coming from the resort. Why not give them an earful?

This comment...

Quote:
Just look at the snow depth at Yamabiko!

....is to show just how much more snow we have than last year. Last year on March 19th, it was 210cm. So comparing 350cm with 210cm on the same day in two consecutive seasons. It's especially sad that we can't use that now, and that has been specifically mentioned in recent reports. Just because you are "not interested" in that does not mean that others are not.

There has been absolutely no suggestion that Yamabiko area was/is open. In fact just below that we note very clearly which lifts are running - again, info confirmed by the resort themselves - and also that the Yamabiko lifts are not operating.

If you look at the other reports over the last few days as well, you will see that they have been clear about the resort only being part open, the top being closed and repairs being necessary to some lifts and the top gondola.

We also suggest that people contact Nozawa before making any decisions if they are unsure or want re-assurances.

It's all right there on the report if you care to look.

[i have taken out the snow depth numbers for Yamabiko - and that is the only thing I have edited.]

Way to go Pezby.

I'm sure SJ-David really enjoyed having to spend an hour or so of his time responding to your nonsense when they have a earthquake-(half)-trashed office to clear up.

They've actually been pretty quiet about that hey?

Compare the classy way they go about things like that to your skanky way of going about things.

Sorry to hear about the office.

Hope you can clear that up soon.

I'm sure I speak for most people in that we really do appreciate what you guys do, which is a remarkable job.

Peace.

• SnowJapan Admin

He was registered snowdude, and had made a total of about 20 posts, but after my post above he asked for us to delete his account and photos - which I have done.

David I hope you won't hate me for saying this, because I totally think you're doing a great job, but sometimes you take people's posts a bit too personally. So he accuses the Now report of lying? So what? If you feel you absolutely need to respond, then just correct him on the facts. Whether he's made inflammatory posts in the past is irrelevant.

PS. I hope I'm still welcome in the office. With so much time off at the moment, I'm planning a visit.

• SnowJapan Admin

So what?

So, I don't like people taking shots at us on our own site that we really need to respond to. We care about our reputation and while we can't help people having a go and posting untruths elsewhere, when it's on our own website then clear things up I will!

It's really not often I post something like I did in this thread.

You don't actually know the full story / backstory behind this particular annoyance, so perhaps you can take it as that comment being a last straw, so to speak.

Like I said in my post, valid critisism is fine. But how about doing it in an email first to get our take. Or not posting it like this one was.

It's the tone and attitude that really annoys.

Anyway, it's our website.... we can respond how we wish. wink

friend

I understand what you're saying. Though hoping people will complain by email first is wishful thinking, in my opinion. Forums are one rung down from a face-to-face conversation; emails are more like a letter. People will usually go for the more direct approach.

• SnowJapan Admin

Some people do. And we often respond and thank them if they have pointed out any error on our part.

Whatever, as I said it's pretty rare I come out with a post like I did and I certainly don't regret it.

So perhaps it isn't such a huge problem.

friend

I like your professionalism David. Nothing like a well crafted email/letter to get a point across. If someone takes the time to make contact in an appropriate manner they will get a proper response....it goes for many things in life.