The dates might be out by a day or two, I've forgotten the exact dates smile But we were definitely there for the fire festival, and some amazing snow! We stayed at Lodge Nagano for a week - Luke and Renee run a pretty tight ship for Mark the owner - everyone is really friendly and experienced with the area. It was pretty heartbreaking to see some of the pictures from the mountain after their local 6.2 quake. Even more so to hear that they're having to come home due to the current fears.

Anyway, onto positive stuff huh

It snowed every single day we were there, pretty consistently - the day we arrived started off sunny, but it started snowing that evening, and there was two more days (1 bluebird, 1 partial cloud cover) where the snow gave us a bit of a breather.

MintyNZ_1.JPG

The first day was pretty snowy, windy & we both agreed - a day we wouldn't bother skiing on in NZ - but it was great fun exploring the field - we managed to lose each other frequently, but easily find each other again smile we started hopping on the skyline connection double and having fast and furious runs down the pow pow to the right as you're coming off. I started to learn how to ski in powder, definitely not good enough to try real offpiste yet, but sometime in the future, definitely.

I think it was the third day that was the most amazing day - it was perfect, blue, they groomed it the day/evening before but enough powder had fallen that it was nice and smooth and velvety. We went straight up to the summit quad and rode those runs a few times, at one point I was yelling out to any who would listen "I can do it, I can do it! This is amazing!" I think I started to achieve a oneness with my skis - trusting them to ski for me as long as my brain told them what was happening, rather than thinking "weight onto my right foot, right pole down" etc

We decided to go get lunch, so rode down the black run to avoid the basin at the bottom of the reds - my first proper black run, and in about 30cm of powder as the groomers hadn't been through yet (one of the gaijan we met suggested that they were planning to mogul this run later - does anyone know if they did?) we had a much cruisier end to the day skiing with one of the girls from the lodge as my knees were playing up

I also was christened speedy by her and Mr Minty as my 165's just seemed to be so fast (I am only 169cm, though heavy for my height) Mr Minty needs to break out his 12 year old lacroix 205s and catch up me thinks.

MintyNZ_2.JPG

MintyNZ_4.JPG

The next few days were super snowy and then we went and saw the snow monkeys

The second to last day (morning after the fire festival) we got onto the field in the morning, it was a bit overcast, but actually pretty decent conditions compared to the previous days, unfortunately on the cat track from the convention centre to the ticket office I got major calf pain - the previous days had been ok once I warmed up, but this day was horrible. I ended up catching the shuttle back to the convention centre and walking back to the lodge. Mr Minty had a sweet day though exploring the skyline run.

The last full day we had was quite interesting and fun conditions - the wind was so strong that you didn't need to even attempt to carve down paradise - Mr Minty always ski's backwards so I attempted it for the first time, I was going ok when he ski's up next to me and yells "Can you turn?" I thought he meant "try carving backwards" so I tried... and completely caned it. Then I tried tucking and Mr Minty skied alongside me correcting my position and then something must have caught me off guard and again, completely caned it. Then we went into pop-eyes and cracked up at this little kid (who incidentally we realised was the youngest kid we'd ever seen boarding) who was too small and light to snowboard against the wind when it gusted, so he'd slow down and lose his momentum.

Mr Minty also convinced me to go down skyline, even though visibility was really short and I hadn't been down there yet. It was quite nerve wracking as the tracks created by other nervous intermediates has collected quite a ridge of snow, so when I did brave up I'd get taken out by a big ridge of snow that I couldn't see, but we got down, and then took the kamoshika track down to the left hand basin.

MintyNZ_5.JPG

Oooo, edit: I did also finally get my tree run! The middle basin - I think it's the Nagasaka basin, had a frequently used, and very icey little run through the trees to the far right of the quad as you came off. I decided to go through, not knowing what I was going to find, shat myself at the ice, the bend in the middle, the thick trees, and the drop off at the end, and then the guy who I only just managed to dodge on the end.

Overall, we had an AMAZING honeymoon - I won't fill you guys in on Hakuba as it was fairly uninspiring for me - too similar to NZ, and lacking the charm and ease of Nozawa Onsen. The food in Noz was fantastic, and I loved the casual attitude and friendliness (provided you had good manners) that everyone exuded. Stay bar was our favoured bar - always service with a smile from Kerry and Rodney.

We really can't wait to go back, and we will as soon as we can.

Lovely views thanks Minty.

Quote:
I won't fill you guys in on Hakuba as it was fairly uninspiring for me - too similar to NZ, and lacking the charm and ease of Nozawa Onsen

Scandalous comment!

If Japan wasn't under great stress right now and we were in normal mode, the police would be onto you for that!

wink

Originally Posted By: sanjo
Lovely views thanks Minty.

Quote:
I won't fill you guys in on Hakuba as it was fairly uninspiring for me - too similar to NZ, and lacking the charm and ease of Nozawa Onsen

Scandalous comment!
If Japan wasn't under great stress right now and we were in normal mode, the police would be onto you for that!
wink

Oh noes! Please let me come back to Japan!

We've organised a ski trip down to Cardrona this winter, but I think I've been spoiled now, we're already looking at another summer abroad. Depends on how the prices are in Japan, if they're close we might look at going to Whistler or similar, add Canada and USA onto the slowly increasing list of countries we've been to. Never fear though, we will go back to Japan - I miss Noz so much.
Originally Posted By: PWL
Nice Minty.

Did you actually get to see a kamoshika?

I SURE DID!!!!

Mr Minty and I were riding the pair lift up to the bottom of skyline on our first day, and I noticed something that looked like a sheep or a pig, I pointed it out and Mr Minty said "ooo, a dog!"

By the time we got back to the lodge that evening it had evolved into the "bear-pig-sheep-dog" animal, no one seemed to know much about them, so I googled when we got back to NZ - turns out they are an endemic breed only found in Japan, and they most closely resemble a "goat-antelope" yup, even the scientists couldn't decide which it was most like.

We think the one we saw was definitely on the large side, because it wasn't that far from us, and is definitely bigger than any of my sister in laws sheep and goats.

I never seen a bear in Japan but my Japanese teachers husband got bitten by one on the arm while out hiking (In Iwate). Lots of stitches but no permanent damage.

Not sure I want to meet a bear, but last autumn there were even signs up in the neighbourhood warning people about them - be noisy when out walking at night, don't go alone etc.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
I always wanted to see a bear but I heard they be sleeping in winter.
Are the bears often spotted out on the mountains in autumn?

Renee from Lodge Nagano was telling me that she took some clients out trekking in the snow (wearing snow shoes I guess?) They were walking in the ski field area, but a quieter part. There was something to do with a bear, but I can't remember if they saw it, or only saw it's footprints - it was very early spring at the time.

I often wonder about this. A couple of years ago I was hiking with my girlfriend around the Oze Marsh area in Niigata and asked her why everyone had annoying little bells on their bags, "Oh they're to warn bears away" BEARS!!?? Nobody told me of any bloody bears that might be in the area and where the hell was OUR bell?? omg

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I often wonder about this. A couple of years ago I was hiking with my girlfriend around the Oze Marsh area in Niigata and asked her why everyone had annoying little bells on their bags, "Oh they're to warn bears away" BEARS!!?? Nobody told me of any bloody bears that might be in the area and where the hell was OUR bell?? omg

LOL! I love that the bell is supposed to scare the bear smile I'd rather the bear didn't know how to find lunch from a km away
lol thats what I was thinking but I think its more that Bears will tend to leave people alone if they aren't surprised by them tramping through the forest, so if they hear you coming with the bell, they'd rather slink off and not have a bear-human face to face........at least thats how its MEANT to go. smile
Originally Posted By: snowbender
Bears are way cool.
I want to meet one where he's standing up with his hands in the air roaring. Like this

51lKoleedHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As long as I had 10m on him, I'm sure I'd be fine.

tell me how that goes for you smile rawr fierce