• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it's great to have you back! Cheer us all up Mike!

DAY 11 : SATURDAY 26 MARCH 2011

Last night was Jam Bar's end of season bash. And what a bash it was. I left at 3.30 in the am and there were still plenty of locals polishing off the last of the liquor.

Another 5cm overnight and sunshine but today was a much needed rest day for me.

Had a wonderful dinner of smoked salmon, lamb with black olives, and creme brulee with camembert ice cream at The Barn's closing party. A wonderful interior, ambiance, meal and service from Brett and his team. Highly recommended.

DAY 12 : SUNDAY 27 MARCH 2011

Another 5cm of snow in the village overnight and another day of sunshine at GRAND HIRAFU, NISEKO

Ran in to Greg Heptonstall and Peter Gilbert at the Alpen quad and we proceeded to lap the north facing slopes of the peak through Gate 4.

Sunshine, knee deep powder, untracked slopes all day, and no lift lines made for a fantastic day. This was Peter's first season in the Niseko Resort Area and his last day of skiing before heading back to Vietnam for the summer to set up an English language school in the mountains. He went out with a bang!

Greg Heptonstall (blue jacket) and Peter Gilbert (yellow jacket) skiing the powder out of Gate 4

MikePow_723.jpg

MikePow_724.jpg

MikePow_725.jpg

MikePow_726.jpg

We went a little further round the mountain to get these shots with the full majesty of Iwanupuri in the background

MikePow_727.jpg

MikePow_728.jpg

MikePow_729.jpg

Peter flying on his last day in the Niseko Resort Area

MikePow_730.jpg

is there any other way besides ? my skill isn't there yet

heading to Niseko tomorrow, i can't wait !!! hope the snow materialises this weekend

DAY 13 : MONDAY 28 MARCH 2011

A sprinkling of new snow in the village overnight and met up with Glen and Ben at GRAND HIRAFU, NISEKO expecting another powder day like yesterday.

Alas no.

Upper lifts on windhold so no access to Gate 3 or 4. Greybird too. Skied a couple of laps of fast groomers, but there are already patches showing at the Alpen base area.

Over 13m of snowfall at the base and patches already appearing. Useless.

Annupuri mountain and the Niseko Resort Area looking like the Serengeti at sunset

MikePow_731.jpg

DAY 14 : TUESDAY 29 MARCH 2011

Ian M was back from his jaunt to Indonesia and with rising freezing levels and sunny skies it was time to head back to KIRORO.

Although it's school holidays here on Hokkaido and the lodge and base area of Kiroro were jumping we didn't wait for a lift all day.

The south facing slopes had been sun affected and although spongy were very enjoyable, but the north facing aspects offered up untracked knee deep dry turns all day.

Ian M brought his A game today.

The evidence m'lord

MikePow_732.jpg

MikePow_733.jpg

MikePow_734.jpg

MikePow_735.jpg

MikePow_736.jpg

MikePow_737.jpg

MikePow_738.jpg

It's been said that the name Kiroro is derived from the Ainu (Japan's indigenous people) word "kiroru" meaning a wide road that has been hardened by many people walking on it.

Not in our experience smile

Originally Posted By: MikePow
It's been said that the name Kiroro is derived from the Ainu (Japan's indigenous people) word "kiroru" meaning a wide road that has been hardened by many people walking on it.

Not in our experience smile

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've GOT to get myself here next season!!!

Thanks all.

DAY 15 : WEDNESDAY 30 MARCH 2011

With no new snow in the Shiribetsu area it was back to KIRORO with Ian M for more powder but this time from the summit of Yoichi-dake (1488m), the above tree line peak and bowl that dominates the skyline from the top of Kiroro's lift system.

It was an easy 90 minute walk from the top of the gondola to the peak, with only the last pitch getting the heartrate and breathing rising.

For a sense of scale, the speck of black at the bottom is a group of 8 Japanese hikers out with 2 guides.

Yoichi-dake above Kiroro ski resort. The true summit is hidden in the clouds

MikePow_739.jpg

MikePow_740.jpg

Clouds, mist and light snow rolled in as we got to the summit and it stayed that way until we got to the bottom of the second bowl

MikePow_741.jpg

MikePow_742.jpg

Hard packed base with 5-10cm of ski penetration on the aspects that had been in the sun earlier in the week. Boot top dry powder in the sheltered aspects. Fantastic terrain between 30 and high 30 degrees, wide open, gullies, cornices. Fun, fun, fun.

And it to make it all the more enjoyable the run out takes you right back to the chair. And a much easier and shorter run out than Jackson's in Grand Hirafu for example.

Much less visited than other slackcountry spots in this area and as a consequence more care needs to be taken during slope and snowpack assessment.

A must do if visiting Kiroro on a bluebird day.

The night was spent at Irori, a small izakaya in Makkari, talking with the teachers from the school where Ian's daughter goes. Great company, great atmosphere, great food.

DAY 16 : THURSDAY 31 MARCH 2011

Day off snow waiting for the next storm to roll through.

Great night in Hirafu for Paddy McGinty's closing down party. Most of Hirafu there made for a boozy and late night.

DAY 17 : FRIDAY 01 APRIL 2011

Another day off snow, and a great day to night at Paddy's with Craig and Ian drinking the black stuff and watching the Super 15s on the big screen.

As we drove back to Makkari the light drizzle turned to big fat flakes and Saturday was looking very promising.

DAY 18 : SATURDAY 02 APRIL 2011

5cm on the car in Makkari but as we drove to Grand Hirafu we could see the clouds racing past the peak. Fearing high winds and the top lifts closed we drove on to SAPPORO KOKUSAI.

The drive from Makkari via Jozankei Onsen took about an hour and the closer we got to our destination the deeper the snowbanks and the heavier the snow became.

10-15cm in the car park and it was puking.

Lots of activity at the base area and yet we never had to wait more than a minute or two to get on the gondola. Although the hill has a number of lifts and runs, we concentrated our day left and right of the main gondola.

There was a sun crust from earlier in the week that had to be skied lightly, but it was untracked knee deep, blower on top of that all day and accumulating by the hour.

The terrain is varied and challenging with a good, consistent pitch; trees, pillows and mini bowls.

No pics unfortunately, snowing and blowing all day. And still going when we left.

And what a bargain. 7-hr ticket was JPY 2,500 (20 euros, $30) with our Kiroro Season Passes.

After almost 10 years in the area it was Ian M's first visit to Sapporo Kokusai. It won't be his last!

For dinner we went to Macarina in Makkari. 7-course fine Japanese/French dining. Superb.

DAY 19 : SUNDAY 03 APRIL 2011

Another covering on the car in Makkari, and bluebird over the Niseko Resort Area. But for my last day of skiing this trip it had to be KIRORO.

As we passed through the tunnel on 393 we went from sunshine to light snow. By the time we got to the Kiroro turn off it was dumping.

15-20cm settled in the car park and at least that much again up high.

No crust today, just untracked knee to waist deep turns all day.

Found a couple of new quick laps from the top of the gondola and hit our favourite spots into the gully.

Ian M had an epiphany today and was flying on all terrain and in all snow.

MikePow_743.jpg

MikePow_744.jpg

MikePow_745.jpg

MikePow_746.jpg

MikePow_747.jpg

Had intended being over for 6 weeks this trip but my dad passed away last Tuesday (29 March), so cutting the trip short and flying home for the funeral on Friday.

It was great to be back on Fantasy Island and I can't wait to return in October.

Thanks to everyone who hung around while I tried to set up the shot. Much appreciated.

Great to see, ski, watch rugby and drink adult beverages with Glen, Ben, Craig, Cezar, Greg, Paul, Peter, Liam, Thom, Tomoko, Diggler, Sam, Damian, Joel, T-roy, Ross and Glen.

And many thanks to Ian M for hooking me up with so much.