Insanely stupid comments about earthquake/tsunami/nuclear tradedy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Like China on Tuesday and Singapore a couple of days before that, all this talk of banning or inspecting Japanese goods for radiation is all BS...

I can't really agree. To inspect them is certainly absolutely reasonable. And not wanting to get stuck with radioactive waste in the target country is reasonable too.

That said, this could be simply done with a check at source before export though. An organization like SGS could do that easily.

You miss the point: Earthquake and tsunami devastated Japan is in no position to be exporting all that much post-incident, so anything arriving to be inspected would have left Japan long before radiation was an issue.

Looks like there is drama stiring in Europe....

Quote:
Officials in Iceland have detected radioactive particles believed to have come from Fukushima, the Daily Mail reported.

The British government said there were no reports yet of radiation reaching the country, though France predicted tiny amounts are due to arrive in hours

Stupid Daily mail. Stupid French.

Ezorisu

It's not that Japan has totally shut down. There are still plenty of exports. In a news from yesterday:

In Hong Kong, Undersecretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok said that up to 2pm yesterday the Customs and Excise Department had screened 5,870 consignments of goods imported by air and 15 containers shipped by sea. None had abnormal radiation levels.

>Source<

Schneebored

I wonder what's wrong with monitoring radioactivityJ Japan does it too. Why is that stupid? And why isn't it stupid in Japan?

At least some sanity came back to Hong Kong - my local supermarket had salt again! I wonder if there were many kidney failures the last few days.....

...and for those interesting in airflow....

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/trajectory/fukushima/trajectory_e.shtml

Schneebored
I wonder what's wrong with monitoring radioactivity Japan does it too. Why is that stupid? And why isn't it stupid in Japan?

Just preempting an over the top media 'hoo haa' which reports radioactivity with no perspective.

The monitoring is obviously a very important thing.

And just bagging the French for the fun of it.

A few from today

Here's some fine reporting to get hot and bothered about:

Japan on 'maximum' radiation alert as poison particles reach GLASGOW

Japan was today put on maximum radiation alert as it emerged particles from the country's stricken nuclear power plant have reached as far as Glasgow.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan told parliament that Japan was grappling with its worst problems since the Second World War.

'This quake, tsunami and the nuclear accident are the biggest crises for Japan' in decades, Kan said.

He warned the crises remained unpredictable, but added: 'From now on, we will continue to handle it in a state of maximum alert.'

Meanwhile, experts monitoring radiation levels more than 5,500 miles away in Glasgow said that they had detected particles of radioactive iodine, according to the Glasgow Evening Times.

In Japan, hundreds of pregnant women are fleeing at risk areas over fears that radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant will harm their unborn babies.

It comes as radioactive water and plutonium-contaminated soil were found outside the plant on Japan's tsunami-hit north-east coast where brave workers are battling to stop a meltdown.

More than 150 women from the north-east coast have travelled over 450 miles from the crippled power station to check into hospitals in Osaka to give birth in a safer place.

At least 58 women have fled Tokyo - 150 miles south of Fukushima - following the discovery of high levels of radioactive iodine in the city’s water supply.

So many are arriving in Osaka that hospital bosses fear they might not have enough staff to cope.

-----

COMMENTS:

Wouldn't be surprised is this was just another story from as a cover to account for the ever rising levels of radioactivy. It is far worse than we are being told.

The time will come when they simply have to nuke the site in order to evaporate 17000 tons of critical mass.

Who ever approved a nuclear power station in a major earth quake zone should beheld to account!!!! The fact that there is more than one built in a known earth quake zone is pretty terrifing!!! Shut them down now, before another earth quake strikes!!

Did anyone actually think Japan was telling the truth ??

When will they (TEPCO, and other operators like EDF etc) admit and apologise for all the other mistakes and fake documents they produced? I'm sure we haven't heard everything yet.

Only humans would be stupid enough to build a nuclear power station in a major earthquake zone!

They interviewed some dweeb on the telly last night who said he was cancelling plans to visit Oxford* due to the 'Fukushima radiation' detected there.

There's just no words to counter this sort of nonsens with.

* yes, the one in England.

This lot has annoyed me a lot.

I have decided to never give any of these media people my cash again.

Lets doing same.

It's really upsetting when even some 'serious' media are just going along with the unreal doom and gloom view. Very sad.

Bollocks or not, I do not know. Probably, but anyway

Quote:
Japan has finally conceded defeat in the battle to contain radiation at four of its crippled reactors and they will be closed down.

Details of how this will be done are yet to be revealed, but officials said it would mean switching off all power and abandoning attempts to keep the nuclear fuel rods cool.

The final move would involve pouring tonnes of concrete on the reactors to seal them in tombs and ensure radiation does not leak out.

Quote:
I get the feeling that the Japanese government had deliberately DRIP FED the news to the public in order to reduce the political fallout. I also think that their disaster planning left a lot to be desired. I may be corrected on this but their plans were made on the assumption of a 7.5 magnitude earthquake - when in fact that actual event hit 8.9. With the recorded history of quakes & the likely dangers of nuclear power - they should have made plans based on a 10 magnitude or even higher. In particular ; considering the level of risk - they should not have relied on just one backup cooling system but 2 or even 3. The human & financial costs would have been lower.

NO!!!
I think they should have made plans based on a 25 magnitude... or EVEN HIGHER

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

It's just getting sillier by the day.
lol
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Quote:
I get the feeling that the Japanese government had deliberately DRIP FED the news to the public in order to reduce the political fallout. I also think that their disaster planning left a lot to be desired. I may be corrected on this but their plans were made on the assumption of a 7.5 magnitude earthquake - when in fact that actual event hit 8.9. With the recorded history of quakes & the likely dangers of nuclear power - they should have made plans based on a 10 magnitude or even higher. In particular ; considering the level of risk - they should not have relied on just one backup cooling system but 2 or even 3. The human & financial costs would have been lower.

Unbelieveable....where did you get this from GG? Was it another crappy UK "news" outlet? I've stopped reading them online beacuse I just can't handle reading nonsense....

1\ You are corrected, they plants were built for a 8.5 or something as the previous high of 8.2 was the baseline

2\ They did you cretin! Earthquake happend and safety systems kicked in, shutting off the reactors. Power has been cut as well so the 1st safety system kicks in and the Diesel Generators start pumping coolant BUT the tsunami hits and knocks them out......so saftey system 2 kicks in and Batteries take over the power needs of the pumps but these only have an 8 hour charge so the race is on to try and hook up power to recharge the batteries or re-power the plant.

Like you said GG, its just getting ridiculous, I take it these are comments attached to a news piece. They should've built the diesel generators on 30 metre high re-inforced concrete pillars, guarded huge rottweillers that have been bred for their angriness and ability to withstand radiation and swim for long periods!! doh
Ezorisu
It's not that Japan has totally shut down. There are still plenty of exports. In a news from yesterday:

In Hong Kong, Undersecretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok said that up to 2pm yesterday the Customs and Excise Department had screened 5,870 consignments of goods imported by air and 15 containers shipped by sea. None had abnormal radiation levels.

Doubt any of those (or any subsequent) imports came from the tsunami ravaged regions or areas affected by the nuclear accident.
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Doubt any of those (or any subsequent) imports came from the tsunami ravaged regions or areas affected by the nuclear accident.

Hong Kong banned imports from 4 JP prefectures, which probably don't export anything right now anyway.

I think it good to test everything, but as long as its just traces I am not interested to hear.