Insanely stupid comments about earthquake/tsunami/nuclear tradedy

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Is there any evidence at all that the Fukushima 50 have even shown mild symptoms of radiation exposure? I haven't heard of any being hospitalised with radiation sickness at this stage.

the only ones that I've heard of are those the other day that got radiation burns to their feet after wading into the tunnel water. AFAIK there aren't any that have "radiation sickness" per se.....but the Fukushima 50 are actually a hell of a lot more, it started off as about 140-150 people behind and then as they felt it was safer more joined
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well starting on my way back now.

Is the ground safe? wink

Someone last night, asking incredulously...

"You're not going back THERE are you!?!?!"

Yep, sure am!

friend

This is just pathetic, in the telegraph

It was much like having just stepped off a death-defying roller coaster. My English-language students and I had survived the “big one†– a powerful earthquake rumoured to be magnitude 9.

The buildings had held up. Japanese architecture had proven to be sound. We were all fine. Everyone eagerly wanted to recount their unique and terrifying experiences. A sense of great relief and excitement prevailed. However, as the weekend wore on, any sense of euphoria diminished.

Scenes of the devastation caused by the tsunamis were being played and replayed on the television news. The realisation that whole cities had been washed away hit home. It was clear that thousands upon thousands were dead. Yet, unbelievably, things got worse. News began to filter out concerning radiation leaks at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Now the added terror of an invisible killer stalked the land, the sea and the air.

Questions rolled around my mind: what was in the air that I was breathing? Had death’s process already started within my lungs? Would I be cancer-ridden in a couple of years?

At about 130 miles south of Fukushima, was I far enough away to be safe from the effects of the airborne radiation? In what direction was the wind blowing now, in what direction had it been blowing yesterday, in what direction would it blow tomorrow? What was in the food? Was it safe to shower? What exactly did “meltdown†mean? Would there be a nuclear explosion? Was it all too late to save myself? What should I do?

The bustling city of Saitama had become eerily quiet. Most people stayed indoors as a precaution against possible nuclear fallout. Could the wooden homes really block out the radiation? Masks were being worn. Would a piece of cloth really protect us?

Most businesses had closed. Offices blocks and shopping malls had shut for strict structural checks. Power cuts started. Trains were reduced to a skeleton service. The shelves in the local supermarkets and convenience stores were thinning. I hadn’t been able to get bread for two days.

Most Japanese homes almost certainly had a week’s worth of provisions in store. Throughout their lives, the Japanese receive training to prepare for the aftermath of an earthquake. Those who did venture out, patiently queued at the supermarket checkouts with their usual quiet dignity, but, like me, they could do no more than hope that the air that they were breathing was radiation-free.

My family in the UK urged me to get out of Japan. I couldn’t see any good reasons for staying. I headed for the travel agency. After scouring the flights database, a seat was found for two days later. It was clear that many others were also making their escape.

Having secured my ticket, I had to get to Narita airport. Transport problems were severe, so I set off a day early. What would normally have been a two-hour journey took six hours. As I changed trains, and waited on platforms, I worried about what was in the air that I was breathing. Perhaps everyone else shared my thoughts. We were all hoping for the best.

All the airport hotels were fully booked. I needed somewhere to stay, so I went to Narita City and managed to get a room for the night. I lay on the bed, watching TV and trying to relax, when, at about 10.30pm, earthquake warnings sounded. Moments later, the hotel started to sway.

A tremor had hit Shizoka, magnitude 6. Shizoka is near to Mount Fuji, a sleeping volcano. If a tremor caused it to erupt, then the earthquake, the tsunamis and the radiation leaks would pale into insignificance. I wondered whether a mighty volcanic eruption would be the next episode in this chain of disasters.

Early next morning, at the airport, I was told to join a queue of about 1,000 people. An exodus from Japan was under way. And I was one of the well-dressed, well-fed refugees standing in line in an ultra-modern airport.

It was time to board the plane. The queue was moving very slowly. We walked past screens showing the latest images of the destructive tsunamis, and of a deadly smoke rising out of a nuclear power plant. The threats of aftershocks, tsunamis and radiation leaks were bidding us sayonara. Death and destruction: our final memories of Japan.

Finally, we took to the sky. An exchange group of young Japanese teenagers, on their way to Wales, were in nearby seats. Some began to cry. They hugged and comforted each other. Their parents, families, and friends were left behind in a tortured, writhing land.

I wondered what was going through the minds of these young people. Big aftershocks were imminent. Tsunamis could hit again. New nuclear leaks could occur. And there could be thousands more deaths at any time. There was no known end point to nature’s terror. There was no one to negotiate a truce with. There was only uncertainty.

And I, too, shed a tear as I watched the land shrink and disappear. I was now high and safe and in the clear, but was that really a cause for good cheer?

More than 100 South Korean schools have cancelled or shortened classes over fears that rain falling across the country may show traces of radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.

The Education Office of Gyeonggi province said it allowed schools to decide whether to open on Thursday.

The prime minister's office said radiation levels in the rain were low and posed no health threat.

But officials said that 126 schools in Gyeonggi province near Seoul closed, and 43 others shortened class hours as a precaution.

Here's a good one, a comment from The Scum, this evening after that aftershock

^^

Not sure this is natural, as weather modification programmes have been operational since about the 1960s that i have tracked back, the most well known one is haarp operating out of alaska with branches alround the world. the chinese earthquake was created by alaskan haarp system and katrina was retaliation for this. the japanese have been trying to create a non-centralised bank, and have become more vocal in their questioning of the event of 11-9-01.....this and the last could easily be the result of haarp that either creates from the beginning, or piggy backs an existing smaller seismic occurence. we are living in very dangerous times where the most unbelievably evil stuff is being done - of course evil always been around but technology has up the ante now. when i say alaska its nothing to do with americans, most of whom are unaware of this system....when we speak of this stuff it has nothing to do with any countryman anywhere rather it is an international syndicate.

I thought I'd put it in here but as was obviously going to happen, the gloomy scumbags are having a field day:

Now radiation in Japan is as bad as Chernobyl as crisis level is raised to 7 for only the second time in history

Japanese officials admitted today that the spread of radiation from its crippled nuclear plant was out of control and that the government had raised the crisis level to the worst on the international scale.

With radioactive substances pouring out over what the government said was a 'wide area' the crisis level had been raised from 5 to 7, posing a threat to human health and the environment.

Level 7 has only been applied to the Chernobyl accident in the former Soviet Union in 1986.

Worst in history: An image taken by T-Hawk drone aircraft shows an aerial view of the damaged reactor building of Unit 4, left, of the Fukushima power plant on Sunday

Officials were due to explain the extent of the danger at a news conference later on Tuesday.

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant had been releasing a massive amount of radioactive substances.

An unnamed official said the amount of radiation leaking from the nuclear plant was around 10 per cent of the Chernobyl accident.

• 2 weeks later...

Just put the BBC World news on.

First thing I heard was about the aftershock off Chiba last night.

"Japan has experienced several aftershocks since the main earthquake on March 11th"

And the map/graph it showed had the quake going off in totally the wrong place.

Several!? lol

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Just put the BBC World news on.

First thing I heard was about the aftershock off Chiba last night.

"Japan has experienced several aftershocks since the main earthquake on March 11th"

And the map/graph it showed had the quake going off in totally the wrong place.

Several!? lol

Just saw that now. Got to laugh.