Insanely stupid comments about earthquake/tsunami/nuclear tradedy

^ that is an awful article snowhuntress.

It takes a statement by a rabid anti nuclear activist from Russia, the home country of the worst nuclear accident in history, and makes it news.

There is no denying the situation at Fukushima is a concern and a terrible tragedy for those in the exclusion zone, but the reactors are very very different in construction - there has been one expert after another from many different countries saying that the worst case scenario for Fukushima is not as bad as Chernobyl - maybe close to 3 Mile Island, but impossible to get as bad as Chernobyl.

I think we are indeed at the worst case scenario, but for that woman to claim the 7 point rating scale will need to be revised to accurately include Fukushima is pure and evil radical scaremongering.

/outrage

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a non-story really....she doesn't say why she thinks that, she just says "its worse". Well ok, I'm just gonna accept your advice over everybody else's because you helped clean Chernobyl up. At least if they are gonna make statements like that, they should be qualified with reasons as to why she thinks it'll be that way. Just saying "it's worse" is no better than any Tom, Dick or Harry in the pub

Relax, it's just a catchy headline!

Fukushima 'much bigger than Chernobyl'

But in the article it said: Fukushima, could be "even higher" on the INES scale, said Mironova.

To me "could be" implies that it ain't yet. I think correctly the headline should have been:

Fukushima much bigger than Chernobyl?

And then anyway, what's bigger? The plant? The radiation leakage? The effected area? The people effected?

Not one person has died from radiation so far. Not one person as far as I know has even been treated for accute radiation sickness. Not anywhere near Chernobyl.

In terms of a major Industrial Accident, its up there with the biggest, but in terms of a Nuclear Radioactive Incident its nowhere near Chernobyl

Downloaded and watched Horizon: Japan earthquake that was broadcast on UK tv last week. Interview with a Professor of Nuclear Physics was very calming and factual. He reiterated that this is a major problem for Fukushima and the plant surroundings but that the dangers to people outside of the exclusion zone and specifically Tokyo were "negligible".

like I've said, the symptoms being attributed to radiation has been apparent over there for years......3 legs, deformed hands, 2 heads....thats what happens when your wife is your sister and your son is your nephew! biggrin

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I would like to know the truth from locals in Japan. We are reading these reports over here and now I am starting to get really worried for my friends in Japan.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8231882/fukushima-much-bigger-than-chernobyl

I found the "The truth...about marrying a younger man" article on the same page particularly interesting. Even though I will never do such a thing.

"She can't blink after surgery" was a heartbreaking story too.

womansurgeon_quad.jpg

A small selection of todays "Comments", the pulse of the people

lol

Quote:
Sorry George, I think you should brush up your skills on nuclear power. The accident at Fukushima is worst than Chernobyl. In 1986, the nuclear reactor was entombed in cement. Now highly radioactive water is leaking into the sea which could affect the people of Japan from generations to generations.

The BP disaster will be a drop in the ocean (no pun intended) compared to this contamination of the ocean wich will last for millenue - c

WHY is this not a top headline?? Why is none of the press covering the real story!!??? It is your job to report the truth yet you are reporting things that we have known for 3 weeks! People need to know how bad this is.

This is what happens when the 'I can handle it' brigade won't listen, won't confer, won't ask for assistance from people who know better. I hope that the rest of the nuclear indistry is PAYING GREAT ATTENTION TO ALL THIS. ... You don't know it all, you don't know what you are meddling with AND ......... YOU HAVEN'T GOT THE RIGHT TO MESS UP OUR EXISTENCE BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU KNOW BETTER! For once and for all ... STOP MEDDLING! And yes, I am shouting.

I remember an old bloke named Tariq Aziz-he was Saddam's Defense Minister from memory-speaking on a live news broadcast,about how the Iraqi army would have a great and mighty victory,noone would penetrate Baghdad, everything was under control...Meanwhile,we could hear bullets and noisy mayhem going on in the background, metres away from him. The Japanese government,some of our own politicians,the management...Oh,join the dots.

This is the nuclear nightmare - the horror everybody with half a brain has dreaded for years. The whole truth isn't being told, and the extent of this is being hidden. Yet there are STILL fools who insist that nuclear power stations somehow provide "cheap" electricity. They should be sent to live next to Fukushima for a month, then tell us how safe it is. And see if they consider their own deaths "cheap".

Wizardess, Londres, not only what you wrote but the Japanese will be ever increasing their fishing in other nation's shores as they have already been doing so. The Japanese will be flooding into Australia, the Hawaiian Islands, and California in even greater droves than they have already been doing so.

Years, or months, from now, sea food will be inedible. The experts and the Japanese government official who said it was safe to build the nuclear monstor shoud be feed contaminated food.

We are all doomed!!!If only there was some way - some sort of dye - available to show the presence and levels of radioactivity - we would know the full extent of this catastrophe. Sadly, unlike smoke spewing from fossil fuels, radiation is invisible and this is its danger: what you cannot see you tend not to worrry about. Sadly when its effects DO become visible, causing cancer, affecting the food chain, causing mutagenic and teratogenic effects, it will be too late. We need to treat nuclear power with the alarm it deserves - its potential for disaster is truly horrific, massive and unbelievably extensive time scale wise to this planet and humanity.

1000 milisiverts is a full sivert...and that sounds pretty catastrophic to me...when i know we are only meant to be exposed to micro 10 to the power of -6 sieverts.... no doubt they will say it is no IMMEDIATE DANGER TO HUMAN LIFE.......why dont they just tell the whole story .....which is ' there is no immediate danger to human life....but in the very near future the effect this will have on the food chain and the effect it will have on phoetuses is totaly catastrophic and will change life as we know it for at least hundreds of years, and the number of people who will notably suffer from the effects of this disaster is in the millions if not billions' ......THEY HAVE MESSED UP BIG TIME.

A nation sitting on the rim of fire that banked it's future and people on nuclear energy. You can call it brave. I can think of better adjectives. The best I can think of is easily led.

I feel so angry about Japanese not accepting foreign expert hep for Fukushima in the early days of the disaster. Because of their pride the whole planet will get poisoned within weeks. Starting with the ocean and then the ground waters. The next world war will be about food supplies, not oil. Oceans and seas poisoned so no fish eatable. Vast fields unsuitable harvest vegetables due to contamination. Doom days ahead.

the people monitering the site must have known this days after the explosion.the whole truth is not being told!

Actually I'm starting to get simply annoyed now, it's not even amusing any more considering how this lot will end up affecting Japan and peoples attitudes.

Sad situation in so many ways.

They are the ones commenting though.

I really do hate "Comments" on websites like that. Almost always nothing but moronic stuff getting a huge audience.

I'm going to say straight out that I'm no nuclear expert and I failed physics in HS but I can't help but notice the similarities between the blown off roofs/structures when comparing photographs of Chernobyl and Fukushima no matter what governments are saying. And I believe people still cannot live within a huge range of the Russian ground zero nightmare for decades to come. I just pray that this stiuation gets sorted asap and Japan can find a viable alternate power source because as we are witnessing a geologically active country and nuclear power can't mix.

Clearly you're not an expert.

One was caused by hydrogen explosions from the nuclear reaction reaching criticality and reacting with the excess hydrogen in the air from steam, one was caused by graphite rods igniting, exploding and launching a 2000ton plate and radioactive material into the air.

To which someone comments

Quote:
I think these are the LUCKY ones at least they will die quite quickly, what about all the ones that have slow death because the Government Hide the true readings, mind you now it is in the sea they the whole world better look out as they have not plugged the gap yet, we are assuming they will plug the gap in the next 50-100 years, but then i suppose there will not be any life left by then, if they don't find the leak soon and plug it, it;'s good night vennia, Reminds me of the neuclear threat in the 80's when we all had to live in shelters, to survive, ITS COMING TRUE!!!!! mind you look an the bright side its not worst than Chenoble??? RIGHT?

Yeh,, Well think on, no one lived in Chenoble, This is the end of Tokyo, at least, 34 million people, ..... if not Japan, and More, ...but there again the world ends in 2012

anyone would think with whats going on nostrodamus was right! but i dont belive in that.. i believe what my government tells me, this is not another chenonoble.

lol

Some of these people must surely be taking the piss.

Is it you posting those comments TB? wink

Is there any evidence at all that the Fukushima 50 have even shown mild symptoms of radiation exposure? I haven't heard of any being hospitalised with radiation sickness at this stage.

Originally Posted By: joshnii
They are the ones commenting though.

I really do hate "Comments" on websites like that. Almost always nothing but moronic stuff getting a huge audience.

It can be awfully entertaining.
I have the ABC News on my Facebook feed - today I was reading the comments about whether the AFL or other sporting codes should do more to regulate whether players play injured/ie look after the player better - one woman wrote:
Quote:
contact sport is wrong. Its like the gladiators of old. Without any contact sport we will be a peaceful society. No need for armed police, no need for defence. No need for the US alliance

I was unsurprised when clicking her profile I discovered she was an unemployed student/policy writer for the Greens/in a committed relationship with her girlfriend.

There is sometimes decent debate - but most often the comments on these stories are just ridiculous.
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
To which someone comments

Quote:
I think these are the LUCKY ones at least they will die quite quickly, what about all the ones that have slow death because the Government Hide the true readings, mind you now it is in the sea they the whole world better look out as they have not plugged the gap yet, we are assuming they will plug the gap in the next 50-100 years, but then i suppose there will not be any life left by then, if they don't find the leak soon and plug it, it;'s good night vennia, Reminds me of the neuclear threat in the 80's when we all had to live in shelters, to survive, ITS COMING TRUE!!!!! mind you look an the bright side its not worst than Chenoble??? RIGHT?
Yeh,, Well think on, no one lived in Chenoble, This is the end of Tokyo, at least, 34 million people, ..... if not Japan, and More, ...but there again the world ends in 2012
anyone would think with whats going on nostrodamus was right! but i dont belive in that.. i believe what my government tells me, this is not another chenonoble.

lol
Some of these people must surely be taking the piss.
Is it you posting those comments TB? wink

hey GG.......I'm just trying to keep it light!! No one would want to confuse a "Nuclear" event with something as trivial as a "Neuclear" threat.....especially those in some region of France called Chenoble smile