Punk snowboarders vs. the don't-take-no-crap gaijin

It seems funny that everyone is getting embroiled in a debate about violence in sport, be it surfing or boarding, and getting very agitated about what you should do but what this boils down to , regardless of nationality or the country you are in is un provoked assault. Do that in my country and you get arrested. Simple as that . No amount of debate on this forum can change that simple fact.

Well, regular readers will probably know my thoughts on this.

As for db 'withdrawing' - now that just seems a little silly \:\) ....if you don't like a thread or disagree strongly with something, just ignore it!

The vast majority of people will see through crazy posters thoughts and treat them as such!

\:\)

I've been trying to aviod this thread but i want to put in my two cents.

Big Kahuna - what your mate did was a joke. I hate it when smokers smoke inside, and it would be even worse in a gondola. I would have thought about taking it out of his mouth and chucking it out. The tackling thing is just bullshit. Macho bullshit. If it was in self defense - fine. But it wasn't.

As for the surf and drop in thing. I have only been in one fight in my 10 odd years of surfin/bodyboarding. Yes, drop in's shit me to tears, but running over someone is wrong. The one fight i have had was back on the beach when i told a guy off for dropping in on me a number of times, he got all p!ssed at me for telling him off and he started swinging. So i acted in self defense.

I wonder if there isn't, in some other snowboarding forum, a Japanese thread talkng about stupid aggressive foreigners who are rightly attacked by the ski patrol, barred from certain pubs and night clubs and excluded from onsens.

.. it would be nice to see what the macho heros on here who advocate the use of a little 'impact dispute resolution' do when they DON'T out weigh the local guys by 20kg. BK, I'm sure your mate would have acted very differently if he had been in the States or in Europe. What a gutless wonder. BK's mate is probably wishing they were looking the other way, that way he could have hit both of them....It is quite sickening to think of somebody delibrately running into another person on the slope....

db, please come back, we miss you already!

Slightly off topic, but those of you rolling your eyes at the notion that locals could never instigate violence are being a little naive.

I've been physically assaulted by locals in the past and while the situation was resolved without too much drama, i would never be so complacent as to believe its never on the menu.

u know this thread has a scary correlation with japan and north korea/USA and iraq. should we pre-empt the the guys we don't get along? i guess it comes down to how much of a threat they represent. i dunno what really happened so i'm not gonna pass judgement on second hand information altho i'm re-assured by most people's reluctance to resort to violence.

peace out dudes

I'm no fan of George Bush, but let's not accuse anyone of wife beating until he actually beats his wife. Bush is being constantly condemned for heavy handedness and excessive use of the "first pre-emptive strike" idea. However, let's remember he has NOT struck yet!

This is just my thoughts and, of course, I could be completely wrong. But what if....IF all this hard-lining is a big big bluff. Whether or not it is or not, wouldn't it be a major victory for Bush if his THREAT of war was so convincing that it brought down Saddam's regime without actually needing to go to war! We all know that economic sanctions are not effective on Iraq, so perhaps the best peaceful solution is to just scare them into submission. If it really works, then Bush deserves credit. If he goes hastily to war without the proper sanctioning of the U.N., then he should be condemned.

All I'm saying is, let's call a spade a spade. He has NOT done a "hit first and justify later". So I don't think the subject of this thread is a fair comparison to Mr Bush.

We (Chinese) have our differences with Bush too. As soon as he took office, he made it very clear publicly that China was to be viewed as an adversary and not an ally. He has quickly learned who his true enemies are. I think we view America more as rivals than as the enemy so his China policy was quite offensive to us. Nevertheless, I still try to be objective when I view his handling of Iraq.

As for db....The intellect that wrote his way out of an empty box. Revolted by the inadequacy of general opinion. There is no weight to any matter unless you invite it or react. I know your still reading and wondering if you chose the right path to blow out the candle. Instead, you chose the wrong pathetic to blow off the poor efforts. But I gotta lotta love for everyone!!!!Even you db...! \:D

And how about taking a deep breath, counting to 10 and just relaxing. Tackling the guy was so over the top and unecessary. All that exciting tough fellas talk about knife fights in the water sounds really fun though I must admit.

well Double-D-Licious, you are simply wrong about getting what is coming, and the head patroller in the office and half of the other patrollers agreed with me, not their friend.

If I wanted to I could have taken action against 47 but I chose to resolve the matter right there and then.

had I really got what was coming to me, I would have gotten a warning in the first place and that would have been that. I had been riding where I had been riding all winter, so I thought nothing of it and stopped when I saw the patroller instead of trying to evade. Never in the season had I ducked any ropes at Hakuba, so whatever. As for the second time, I was being disrespectful, but I was still only breaking the rules, breaking the law (assault) is more serious, and two wrongs don't make a right.

I have talked to the patrol since then, and I am still doing what I want to at my home resort, so I got the effect I desired and nothing else.

Violence is never the answer. I would have gone past those guys and if they wanted to take it somewhere i would have had it take place never a lift.

I dont know why you guys went off on each other here but I say "please calm down". As for this post I am out of this one. violence solves nothing, anywhere or at anytime.

Hey hey, merry pop a cherry! Yes, I was simply wrong to waste my time with such a complex matter that I knew nothing about. Me VS U, the head patroller in the office and half of the other patrollers. That's a hefty bout! Clarify with me! If the guy (who's a not their friend) punched you in the head and you didn't take appropriate action considering you were not at fault, why r u still pettyfogging, a ha, unresolved phenomenon. U were being disrespectful, and u were only breaking the rules, breaking the law (assault) is more serious, and one wrong doesn't make a right. \:D

Hi, I'm a friend of "Plucky" from the states. The current debate is really lame and I think it's time to change the subject and move on. Everybody drink a beer...preferably with someone you love (hopefully with someone hot). Now on this new subject, what's your favorite brew? I've got a Sapporo now but Guiness still holds a warm place in my heart.