Punk snowboarders vs. the don't-take-no-crap gaijin

This is a great story... also happened up in Tohoku where Japan's eyes are these days looking for the snowboarder wearing grey...

My buddy (gaijin) was riding a 6-person gondola with 4 other japanese snowboarders, two girls and two guys... one dude lights up his cig, completely ignoring the signs and my friend. my buddy held some constraint, gave him a few "stink eyes" and then when the other guy lit up, just couldn't stand by and suffocate any longer. He tells the guy, "yamete" (stop that)... repeats it three times, only to have the guys completely ignore him (guess they were showing who was boss in front of their girlies). so what does my friend do? PULLS the cig out of one guys mouth and throws it out of the gondola! (not condoning littering here, it was a spur of the moment thing for effect!) well, the other guy quickly puts his out! no words are said, and as soon as they get off the gondola they speed off as quickly as they can! well... does it end there? nope!

So, my buddy is keeping his eyes out for any kind of retaliation, and sure enough as he heads down the hill a ways, he sees the two guys waiting for him, watching him get closer to them. so, what does my friend do? well, he figures, there's two of them, one of me, and if they wanna start something, I better take one out quickly. best way to do that? ride into one of them! yep, he squared his shoulders and did a nice football (American) tackle! the guy flew a bit and the other guy didn't stick around and went blazing off! my buddy asked the guy if there was a problem (in Japanese) and oddly enough, the guy didn't have one! well, the group was not to be seen from again that day, even though my friend was keeping his eyes open.

any other interesting stories out there? maybe the two of us will make some this week up in Tohoku (same buddy)!

sounds to me like your buddy just crash tackled a japanese guy for standing there. a pre-emptive strike.

A better ending would have been:

"there were two of them and one of me, so I decided to take a wide line around them and if they still followed me I would confront them, until that event was reached there was no point in any violence".

your mate really sorted these guys out, he should be proud.

yeah, seriously, i think your friend was a bit too rude. i mean, this is japan, he could have tried being just a little polite in asking the dudes to put out there cigs, throwing in some sumimasens, gomenasais, and kudasais. and why the hell did he tackle one of the dudes?? he couldnt be certain they were waiting to retaliate (and what kind of retaliation was he expecting? an ass-beating midslope or something?). they could have been waiting for their girfriends- didnt you say it was a group of 4 boarders? it sounds like your friend had some anger issues. he went way overboard.

yeah smoking on the Gondola is a bit rude - as is throwing a lit cigarette out the window. As for what you're friend did next - an unprovoked assault. The chances of them wairing to jump him are so remote - especially after their reaction on the Gondola - waiting for their girlfriends maybe? And you're so proud your boasting/posting the story here. You both need help!

yeh, i would have taken the ciggie and chucked it!

smoking in front of other people is soo rude! i hate it! ciggie smoke makes me sneezy and get watery eyes! i cant handle it! silly inconsiderate people they deserved what they got, a crash tackle down the mountain!

\:\)

I would have told them to put the cig out too but the body block as told was not cool. He could have (and maybe should have) been arrested by the police.

I'm from Hawaii too - big island. Shoot me a private email when you have some time.

super lame.

your friend puts out a cigarette

no words are exchanged

your friend sees them further down the run looking at him

so he hits them?

is your friend retarded ?

it's not exactly cool to hit someone who hasn't done anything to you.

and your friend could have really hurt the guy.

he probably did actually, and that is why you didn't see them for the rest of the day.

get a clue.

I would have done the same thing. I've seen it too many times. You give respect where respect is due. It's called ALOHA. I would have tackled his ass too. Show him what real football is about. I had a guy drop in on me surfing the other day. I let him do it once and I smiled. let him do it agian and I smiled. He did it a third time and I just said screw it, and ran over him. His wetsuit isn't all that warm anymore.

There is only so much you can put up with.

hmmm, seems like I've got a lot of mixed replies with this topic... to set the record straight, no we are not both retarded, and we don't need help!

I think this might be one of those things where you had to be there! I'm not going to explain and justify everything that transpired, since like the other topic about the snowboarder that "left the scene of the crime," all the facts cannot be known to those that weren't there nor involved.

Maybe my friend was a premature in his actions, but then again, maybe he felt threatened (yeah, some of you say, this is Japan, and things like that don't happen, well they DO, I've lived here long enough and seen things like that happen first hand). Japan for the most part is a peaceful society, and it is one of the reasons I love living here, but there are elements that are not so peaceful and there are quite a few individuals that take pleasure in looking for trouble (and neither I nor my friend are look for trouble). It's a fact and it pisses me off every weekend when I have to put up with retared motorcyle riders that think it is their purpose in life to wake the neighborhood at two in the morning!

Anyway, to set the record straight, nobody was hurt! After talking to my friend, he also agrees, his actions were maybe a bit premature... I will leave it at that...

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
I I had a guy drop in on me surfing the other day. I let him do it once and I smiled. let him do it agian and I smiled. He did it a third time and I just said screw it, and ran over him. His wetsuit isn't all that warm anymore.
There is only so much you can put up with.
very true Plucky! I work on the 3 strike system.. alot of kooks here in the water that don7t know...but the ones that do need a real lesson. I used to punch a fin out on the "3rd strike"... I have learned to deal with the anger a little better these days but i still wouldn't recommend dropping in on me!

I guess I don't understand surfing, and people dropping in on other people, but I do know that it is dangerous and that it pisses people off.

So if it bothers y'all, why wouldn't you say something to the offending party ? Explain why their actions are stupid and dangerous. Not everyone gets educated in the proper etiquette of their sport, and I know it is not your job to do so, but explaining the problem seems alot more reasonable than running someone over or hitting them, or whatever.

db - if you have a problem with me, just state it. I don't understand, but just say what you have to. I'm a big boy and can take it. I say we ski together and things would be smooth. Are you pissed because I'm an Ami?? Just asking. Your prior posts point to that.

Barok - snowboarding or skiing is the farthest thing from surfing. It cracks me up when guys say, 'yeah, I board and surf'. There is no connection.

When you deal with water, the stakes double. You wreck, you can die. God, It's really hard to explain to nobody that's been out. Imagine a wave that is breaking to the right. You get ready to take off on the wave and another person takes off right in front of you. Not good. This is called snaking a wave. The Japanese up north do not know wave etiquite, even though there are some great surfers up here. They will drop in and think nothing of it. I lived on the North Shore of Oahu and saw the same thing. Out here I give them respect because it is their home. They do it to me over 3 times, I run them the hell over. I haven't been in a fight wtih any of them, I'm peaceful, but I will not put up with that shit. The thing is, they know they are doing it. That's the rub right there.

They realize but don't act because I'm an American round eye. Once you cut a suit and f one guy up, you get respect. That's just how it works here, and almost anywhere in the surfing world. Take it as you will, but it is my second love.

plucky - I don't have a problem with you, but I think you have a massive inferiority complex, but that is your issue.

All I did was attempt to disarm your game before it began. This is your usual game:

1 - you provoke emotions by posting something brash

2 - you get an emotive response

3 - you slide out the side door by saying "hey man, I was only pulling your leg. Geez, chillout a bit guys".

Your post must surely have been part of a game as I doubt anyone could post what you did and mean it.

"I would have done the same thing. I've seen it too many times. You give respect where respect is due. It's called ALOHA. I would have tackled his ass too. Show him what real football is about"

Plus:

please drop the "everyone hates me 'cause I am American" jibe. This may come as a shock to you, but I couldn't give a flying-f if you are American. Who gives a shiit? Not me.... but your egocentric tendencies seem to derive pleasure from assuming that everyone gives a crap about you or your American-ism. Get over yourself and your American complex. Believe it or not, the vast majority of the worlds non-american population do not spend all their time thinking and talking about America.

Finally:

Barok made no reference to surfing and snowboarding being the same. He drew on the subject as a) you introduced it with your violent post, B) he was referring to etiquette, and nearly every sport has its own code thereof. If anyone is aware of unwarranted violence on the snow, perhaps Barok is.

As for running over kooks that don't know the road rules in the water: Interesting how both of you (plucky, Indosnm) brag about it as though it makes you so tough. Your immature approach to the problem only promotes resentment and violence in the ocean where it doesn't belong.

Now, I have enjoyed this forum and really enjoyed the company of the people I have met via this forum. Having said that, I am going to withdraw for this place until threads like this go away. Discussions like this with the type of people that support this behavior are not why I enjoy this forum.

In the meantime those that need to reach me know how to do so.

See ya and thanks for all the fish.

db

Barok - you said " Explain why their actions are stupid and dangerous" I am sure that's what the Ski Patrol were trying to do the first time they caught ya off course! The second time would have made their blood boil I would assume... not to say that the action that they took was the right one.

In Japan there seems to be 2 kinds of surfers (everywhere for that matter!)

1.ones that know better and drop in

2. the ones that don't know at all and drop in.

(3. longboarders!)

I often try to tell the guys about the "rules" especially if they are beginners and look like they don't know what they are doing..

the smug little pricks that do know what they are doing are a different matter. In my opinion the japanese surfers are almost as bad as Brazo's when it comes to dropping in! only diff is that its not in such heavy waves as most are scared of em. Wether it be in OZ, Indonesia, Japan etc they will still drop in..

I hate violence in the surf but it does have a use..

where i grew up (Sth. Oz) you try dropping in on the older guys or even paddling out with 3 mates and see how they like that... if we did something wrong we would get a good whacking.. and how could we avoid that beating? don't bdo anything wrong! fast learning curve!

Japan needs locals that will enforce the "law". then there would be a little more order in the line up...

Db- not bragging mate... who has their season's riding count as their sig?? that could be interpreted as bragging too mate!

Plucky... is it really that crowded up there in Northern Japan that you feel you have to "run" someone over after a few lame drop-ins? Surely a few words with the guy would be a bit more appropriate. If the locals up there do not understand surf etiquette, which as far as I know is the same the world over, then why don't you teach them. They will soon find out about REAL surf etiquette if they go surfing in Australia, Indonesia or anywhere else for that matter. If you want to become mates with some of these locals then they aren't going to appreciate being "run over". If you do become a bit more friendly with these guys then maybe you will get more waves out there and enjoy a more mellow vibe out there in the water. Surfing should be a relaxed and calm activity where you take the waves that are yours but then give waves to other people if they haven't been getting many. A recent surf trip reminded me that outside of the big cities people do "share" waves and give waves to others. This is how surfing should be.

Quote:
Once you cut a suit and f one guy up, you get respect. That's just how it works here, .[/QB]
Aaaaahhhhh, how refreshing, the law of the jungle.

I particularly like it here, as I, fortunately, tend to be a little larger than the locals. I get to rest my educated civilized responses to a situation, and can fall back on violence and intimidation. One hell of a stress reliever too.

In fact, this rule worked rather well for me as I learned to surf in the Kansai area. Being the biggest fish (more like a whale avoiding a beaching) at a local break, the locals left rather than confront my 'dropping in'. All they had to do was give me some pointers!

If only they'd been 80lbs heavier they could've 'f'd' :rolleyes: me up.

I'm sorry Plucky, but in my book, physical responses are purely for self defence. Pre-emptive strikes are for the weak. If anyone 'f'd' up my suit they'd be paying for a new one five minutes later.
 Quote:
When you deal with water, the stakes double. You wreck, you can die.
Does this not mean that by intentionally runnning into somebody while surfing to "cut their suit" or "teach them a lesson" could result in a DEATH ???

By posting such comments here you seem to suggest that this would be getting their " just desserts" !!!

I don't know the "rules" of the surf but I do understand the concept of "Locals Only" as is the rule on almost any surf beach I think....

So why not surf somewhere "Up North" and get to know a few people - hang a bit - chill with them - get some respect as a local and what comes with that..... I'll just betcha that these locals don't "drop in" on other locals...

A friend of mine who does surf says that Hawaii is the hardest place to surf because "everyone" who is local has ZERO respect for Howlees (Hawaiin Gaijin?)

My Brother in Law is a Island Police Officer on Kawai and he tells me that the highest incident of non-reported violence is with surfers...

"non-reported" meaning whitnesed, reported to police, seen, violence resulting in hospital or doctor vistitation - but no one will Swear out a complaint - - - very similar to problems with Gang related violence.....

"Draw your own conclusions from these facts"

As for the hitting someone with your Surfboard, SnowBoard, Skis, Baseball Bat, Dirtbike whatever... I figger - when you do such - you are using them as a "Weapon" and that is just plain "chickenshit"....

just to respond to Indonism. . .

maybe it wasn't clear in my story, but nobody explained that anything was dangerous. In fact, back at the patrol shack, the best English speaker said "The snow condition is good today. There is no avalanche danger. We don't want you going off-course because it is a rule."

No mention of danger, stupidity or anything of the sort - only because it is a rule. And the second time - I wasn't going off-course, I was in the halfpipe.

They only asked me for my pass, and hit me when I refused.

All this tuff-guy stuff is really lame. Your friend sounds like the type of guy that gives foreigners a bad name here. I can sort of understand the smoking thing... (althought there are probably 100 better ways to resolve that situation than to bark at the guy and then grab the cigarette out of his mouth). Tackling the guy because he thought he was gonna get jumped is bullshit.... wtf is that?

...and all of you guys posting about the macho surfing stuff.... sounds like you need some anger management classes.