Plenty I am sure!

I still have not seen any of this sensationalist reporting here though...

Maybe the Eastern side of the continent has more of everything - including journalistic tosh wink

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Plenty I am sure!

I still have not seen any of this sensationalist reporting here though...
Maybe the Eastern side of the continent has more of everything - including journalistic tosh wink

perth now

Just a quick search but this is from Perth Now.

Shall we play a game of sensationalist headlines. Perhaps you don't read this site, I don't. But just because we don't, doesn't mean others won't.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: RobBright

Shall we play a game of sensationalist headlines

Lets not...

Yeah, shouldn't even discuss them Rob.
Out of bounds.
'Banned', even.

To quote Go Native himself, when he disagrees with something, "I just don't get it".

There's another thread for the sensationalist bs. Go knock yourself out in that one if you wish. Discuss whatever you like window boy. And if you want to quote me it may as well be in context. I don't get it when I get attacked by some on here for merely pointing out that life in Hokkaido has basically been unaffected. Many people who are stil thinking of travelling here appreciate knowing that. Wasn't about disagreeing with something. Anyway thanks for the insighful input. You may not post much but each and every post you've made means so much to all of us wink

I find it hard to believe how many people really believe all the crazy stuff that is written. But unfortunately, they do. Morons they may well be. Frustrating and very annoying.

Well it's interesting isn't why someone who has contributed so little to these forums has taken such an interest in this particular thread? We can look back and see you contirbuted to one thread on 12 Jan, before that we have to go back to one thread on 7 Sept last year and one of 11 May last year. So last year you commented twice on these forums. And yet you have made 13 posts just in this thread alone. Mostly seeming to justify why you won't be coming to Japan and having a go at those who still will. This is why I bring up the posts nugget. Do you get it now?

So, what, I'm not allowed to take a big interest in this subject?

Do I perhaps need to post in certain other threads before I choose to post in others?

Do tell me how it works.

I just don't get it, as you would say.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Mostly seeming to justify why you won't be coming to Japan and having a go at those who still will.

No, not at all.

Perhaps having a go when baited with bullshit, yes.

I have no problems visiting Japan again.

Now that I am not there.

I can understand why people who have never been, don't know it, don't know anyone in Japan etc might choose somewhere else while all this goes on. But for me, I don't have a problem. And I'll do my best to talk other people who might be worried into dropping those worries.

friend

Said nothing about you not being allowed. I said it's interesting. Interesting that it seems important to you, important enough to actually make a sizeable contribution on this forum for once, to justify your not coming here next season. As interesting as we all find your justifications not to come to Japan in the near future I'm not overly sure why you felt the need to take a shot at me in your post above. As you have probably noticed a lot of us who actually do live here in Japan are getting a little tired of the sensationlising of the disaster here by the western media. Maybe you don't get that either.

Well as I say your extremely infrequent contributions to this forum are greatly valued by us all. We look forward to more from you as your insight into Japan and what is happening here is very interesting. Keep up the good work thumbsup

Not sure what the debate here is all about. Nothing has changed at the majority of ski resorts in Japan other than there are not many people around. A few have closed early due to that reason along with some seasonal businesses. Majority of the popular resorts still have a lot of snow. The overseas media are without a doubt sensationalising the radiation situation that is in a specific area but the majority of Japan is safe to travel to. Hopefully for the sake of the millions of people employed through the tourism industry that the tourists do not stay away for too long. Don't forget the main point at this stage is that there are a lot of people in need in the directly affected areas.

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
Not sure what the debate here is all about. Nothing has changed at the majority of ski resorts in Japan other than there are not many people around. A few have closed early due to that reason along with some seasonal businesses. Majority of the popular resorts still have a lot of snow. The overseas media are without a doubt sensationalising the radiation situation that is in a specific area but the majority of Japan is safe to travel to. Hopefully for the sake of the millions of people employed through the tourism industry that the tourists do not stay away for too long. Don't forget the main point at this stage is that there are a lot of people in need in the directly affected areas.

Must admit I find it really bizarre how some people seem totally unable to comprehend why people might not want to go to Japan now.
"Everythings ok here" etc line of thinking aside, can you not see that?
A ton of people back home for the most part wouldn't dream of visiting Japan right now - people I know with no reason to deceive have told me as much.
To be honest, if I were them, I would probably be thinking the same right at this moment.

That point has got nothing to do with being positive or negative, you seem to just be choosing to totally ignore that reality just because it isn't very palatable.

It's obviously a very unfortunate situation and one which I hope will clean up quickly.
And I agree with your sentiments about all those people directly affected now in those regions and from now indirectly because of what has happened.

sadface
Originally Posted By: brit-gob
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ

Must admit I find it really bizarre how some people seem totally unable to comprehend why people might not want to go to Japan now.
A ton of people back home for the most part wouldn't dream of visiting Japan right now - people I know with no reason to deceive have told me as much.
To be honest, if I were them, I would probably be thinking the same right at this moment.

That point has got nothing to do with being positive or negative, you seem to just be choosing to totally ignore that reality just because it isn't very palatable.

It's obviously a very unfortunate situation and one which I hope will clean up quickly.
And I agree with your sentiments about all those people directly affected now in those regions and from now indirectly because of what has happened.

sadface

I must be dyslexic. Have I said something that is not factual. I think you are reading something else into what I have actually typed. You are answering something that I didn't question. But anyway enjoy your Saturday.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
ha ha! Well found Rob.
No I don't read Perth Now as a general rule.
Bit like reading The Sun and thinking that it is gospel wink

haha very true. biggrin

Problem is that The s*n is the UK's biggest selling daily newspaper.

keep telling my family that while there are powercuts, and some shortages of food in kanto, daily life is returning slowly. The only thing we in Japan can do is to tell people what it is like and how it will be, which noone seems to know. sadface

Well, its been a long day but we made it to Niseko this afternoon. The train ride from Sapporo to Kutchan was beautiful...and it snowed most of the way here! Niseko itself felt like a ghost town this evening...the combination of late season and the current situation seems to have cleared the place right out.

We ran into VERY few non-japanese between Haneda and Niseko. I say that just as an observation, not a criticism one way or another. I look forward to riding fresh snow at at an almost empty resort tomorrow. I will say this...I am very happy we decided to come to Japan. People have been extremely hospitable and helpful EVERYWHERE we've been for the past two days.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob

sadface

Must admit I don't understand why you think some here don't understand. Of course we understand why many will choose not to come. What's not to understand? We also understand that some people will still want to come. By letting them know that that things are basically unaffected hopefully we give them some piece of mind that they will be able to come and have an enjoyable holiday.
That many won't want to come is certainly not an issue, it's a fact. Many though will still come and they will want to know what it's like here currently from those of us who live here.
Those of you who live in in the big cities can advise what it's like there. Those of us in the resorts will let them know what it's like here. And what it's like here currently is lots of fresh powder with practically no one on the mountain to share it with! clap