From what I can gather, there are frequency converting facilities located at Shin Shinano, Nagano and Sakuma, Shizuoka. Also, Hokkaido and Tohoku are linked by a DC transmission line. It would seem that saving electricity wherever you are in Japan could help reduce the need for power cuts in the coming months.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only about 1MW of 60-50hz conversion capacity though. Also, while its good to save power now, demand is currently at its lowest. It will start to increase rapidly as the temperature rises, so saving power is only going to become more important.

Its a real nightmare situation for sure.

So I'm out of Japan now and with family.

The general opinion of people here seems to be WHY THE HELL DO YOU STILL WANT TO LIVE IN JAPAN?!?!?

There's a real lack of real info outside of the headlines. But unfortunately that is the reality of the situation, and people say they wouldn't set foot in a place as dangerous from earthquakes and this nuclear situation.

Total overload on the word 'earthquakes' and 'nuclear catastrophy' are almost convincing me. (Well, not quite, but you know what I mean.)

More than a few people have been "amazed" that I will be going back.

Sad. But these are people who might have been considering visiting Japan. They sure as hell aren't now.

From what I am hearing I can see the people selling Japan as a destination having one hell of a big problem trying to get the unwashed masses here in the near future. Perhaps even the clean ones too.

I've had similar experiences since getting back to Toronto. In fact, the immigration officer at the airport even asked why I was going back to Japan... (and not as an official question...) Most of my friends seem to understand my reasons for wanting to continue living there but most of my family think I'm making a mistake.

Actually, I'm here for a week... then off to Jamaica for a week. I'm here for a friend's wedding so made the reservations and such a few months ago. It didn't have anything to do with the earthquake... in fact, I almost cancelled the trip home because of it.

On the electricity thing, alot of the large neon signs in Sapporo, particularly in Susukino have not been lit since the earthquake. I'm sure that has to have something to do with conserving power. (Of course this is really minor!)

I think once they get the reactor under control and there is no longer a story in it for the media then things will settle quickly. Being in the winter business we are all thankful here that it did not happen at the end of December. I think that there will be a few months of it being very quiet and then the ball will start rolling again hopefully. Otherwise there will be lots of powder around and only a few people to ski it. Pretty much how it was in Hakuba 8 years ago although the Japanese are into it a lot more now. Bali is a good indication of how things can bounce back.

Season saved!! lol

It sure will be interesting.

One things for sure, there will be a lot of people who were not directly affected by the disaster who will be very anxious in the next six to nine months or so.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
I would go to Hokkaido to ski..... familiarity and friends already there

Yes, there you go, here is a very interesting point.

You know the place.
You have friends there.
You have links to Japan.

The people I asked do not have any of those.

That's a very important difference, I would guess.

That's good.

But we're back onto this again aren't we.
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
Pretty much how it was in Hakuba 8 years ago although the Japanese are into it a lot more now. Bali is a good indication of how things can bounce back.

8 years ago? What are you referring to there?

"Japanese into it a lot more now?"
Yeah, I suppose that accounts for the huge increases in numbers of Japanese skiers and snowboarders every year in recent history hey.
Otherwise there will be lots of powder around and only a few people to ski it. Pretty much how it was in Hakuba 8 years ago although the Japanese are into it a lot more now.

Sometimes a quote needs to have the subject attached to make it clearer. The Japanese are going off piste a lot more than when I first started coming here. This is fact.
Originally Posted By: IIIII
IT is understandable why you want it to 'bounce back' but to compare this to Bali is frankly laughable.

I compare it as an event that affected the tourism industry to such a major extent. I am not comparing the catalyst.
Otherwise there will be lots of powder around and only a few people to ski it. Pretty much how it was in Hakuba 8 years ago although the Japanese are into it a lot more now.

Sometimes a quote needs to have the subject attached to make it clearer. The Japanese are going off piste a lot more than when I first started coming here. This is fact.

Care to explain the 8 years ago thing? What's that about then? Another more important 'fact' is the one that shows that total numbers of Japanese visitors down, not some increase in a small subset increasing. What has has got to do with the big picture, I'm sure you'll explain.

I can understand how you must be bricking it that your business is going to be taking a massive hit, but I see that post-disaster you still seem incapable of posting anything that isn't bullshit/hyperbole free.
Originally Posted By: IIIII
IT is understandable why you want it to 'bounce back' but to compare this to Bali is frankly laughable.

I compare it as an event that affected the tourism industry to such a major extent. I am not comparing the catalyst.

But, 'the catalyst' is an important point.

Fancy going to a place that has been ripped apart by 1000+ earthquakes that are still happening, one of them being one of the biggest ever recorded, followed by a massive tsunami, followed by a serious nuclear disaster, followed by the hype of talk of new quakes on their way (silly as they are).

I'm afraid the scale of the two are totally different.
I wish it weren't so.
It remains to be seen how long term this will affect things, but I can't imagine it not having a really huge impact.
Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba

Care to explain the 8 years ago thing? What's that about then? Another more important 'fact' is the one that shows that total numbers of Japanese visitors down, not some increase in a small subset increasing. What has has got to do with the big picture, I'm sure you'll explain.

I can understand how you must be bricking it that your business is going to be taking a massive hit, but I see that post-disaster you still seem incapable of posting anything that isn't bullshit/hyperbole free.

Personally I could take a couple of years off which is what I would do if they don't contain the radiation. Ride everyday on empty mountains would do me fine. I am in a good position of no bricks at all and in need of a break. That is not good for the rest of the community and Japan tourism in general though.