Spot on, Bag.

All the people on here either know about Japan well or are at least interested enough to, er, be on here.

The general public of the world will just see 'JAPAN'.

I'm afraid the whole scene will have taken a collosal hit for a fair period of time.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: ju87
I note that Niseko Village will be closing from 5 April onwards. Does anyone know what impact this will have on Grand Hirafu and Annapuri ?

Is there anyone in Niseko at the moment ? Are restaurants still open or are things shutting down early this year ?

Niseko Village and Hanazono normally close on around 5 April. Nothing to do with what's happened down south. Only Hirafu and Annupuri stick it out to the end of Golden Week. There's not a lot of people in Hirafu at the moment. Quite a few restaurants and bars have closed earlier than expected. Still plenty open though.

I'm sure I have just missed something here BOC and I'm not trying to start a debate, but what is your point? I looked through 7 pages of thread and only found one other post from you on page 1 that didn't really relate then next thing your doing a survey because peoples opinions are "funny".

Quote:
I'm sure I have just missed something here BOC and I'm not trying to start a debate, but what is your point? I looked through 7 pages of thread and only found one other post from you on page 1 that didn't really relate then next thing your doing a survey because peoples opinions are "funny"

"funny"?

confused

I'm sorry, did I need a history of posts in this particular thread to contribute?
Do tell the necessary conditions needed.
Just for the record looks like I posted 4 times in this thread before this one.
Did I need 5 or something?

Is 'the point' not blatantly clear?
It is to me.
Mamabear seems to have got it too.
You just not that bright or something?

wave

Apparently I’m not that bright and I missed your blatantly clear point. I wasn’t having a go, I was just after a little clarification in the interests of furthering the conversation.

To me your point could have been any of the following:

People should not go skiing in Japan because of the disaster.

People will not go skiing in Japan because of the disaster.

People should cancel their trips.

People that previously did not have plans to go to ski in japan are now unlikely to make plans to go and ski in Japan this season.

Anyway, I will leave you to talk to the bright people, enjoy.

“funny†is from you comment on page 6 where you said “I find some peoples thoughts on this quite funny.†You have since edited it changing the word funny to interesting and elected not to mark the post as edited. I'm guessing since you took the time to untick the mark as edited box you will deny it.

Quote:
“funny†is from you comment on page 6 where you said “I find some peoples thoughts on this quite funny.†You have since edited it changing the word funny to interesting and elected not to mark the post as edited.

Er, nope, I have not edited anything.
wakaranai
Stop making shit up.

The point was simply that I asked people here in London, people who have never been to Japan and have no special link or feelings towards Japan, and they answered. And those people really do not seem mad keen on visiting Japan right at this moment.

I think also the point being discussed is how sad we feel as people who know and love Japan, that people who may have been considering Japan for a holiday probably wont in the next 12 months - right when the tourism cash injection would be most handy - because they are booking and paying for those trips now.

I have some friends back home who were showing an interest in coming next season. They seem rather put off right now to say the least! I can certainly understand those responses you got Bag. People who haven't got any Japan in them will I imagine have a different outlook to those who have.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I have some friends back home who were showing an interest in coming next season. They seem rather put off right now to say the least! I can certainly understand those responses you got Bag. People who haven't got any Japan in them will I imagine have a different outlook to those who have.

We were getting a lot of inquiries for accommodation for next season which has stopped and the people who were booking are holding off for the moment.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Is there no "saving electricity" things going on up in Hokkaido then? Or people using as normal?

No electricity issues up in Hokkaido at all. I can only say so many times that life here is basically unaffected by what has happened down south. There was some property damage at some coastal towns due to the tsunami but nothing like down south and those areas have been completely cleaned up already and are running as normal again. Obviously tourism has been affected but beyond that life as normal. Virtually no one I've spoken to recently (of the ones who haven't already done a runner) has any concerns whatsoever about the radiation issues. Pretty rare for winds to come up from Fukushima to SW Hokkaido and we're so far away that even if they did radiation levels here would probably barely change.
Anyway had up to knee deep powder this morning. I'm happy! wink

Yes we have heard your line Go Native.

Message clearrly received.

But are people in Hokkaido not doing their best to conserve energy, like most other (?) Japanese are in this difficult time?

We are basically independent of the grid that supplies northern Honshu. We have our own reactors up this way too you know and I don't believe any of them went offline during the quake. Not sure how people in Hokkaido saving energy beyond normal would make any difference to what's occurring down south.

And although it appears to slightly annoy some people that I keep making mention that there has been few, if any affects up here I do it purely because many people out there seem to be under the misconception that what occurred was a devastating Japan wide event. Sure those of us who live here know that's not true but a lot of people out there, especially with the sensationlism in the media, don't appear to understand this.

Originally Posted By: oo
Are people down in southern Japan saving electricity / putting in an effort?

People in southern Japan are on a completely different grid to those in the north so there's no point them doing anything different.

I see, about the grid.

What you don't be able to see is the enormity of this and one that will have many ramifications for ALL of Japan. Because it's not your country perhaps along with the fact that you never change message once you're on one.

I can see that and it will have big ramifications for the country, especially in terms of tourism. I have already done a lot to raise money and make donations and send clothing, blankets, baby clothes and nappies to affected areas. Our bar in Hakodate raised Y150,000 last week which we donated. Not sure what more I can do personally? Should I stop living life as normal? Stop skiing because others can't?

My comments about daily life being unaffected here are just staing the truth. Whether you like it or not matters little. We have all been affected emotionally by the catastrophe but I don't see the need to incorporate that into every post I make. And I can assure you I care more for this country and it's people that I ever have for my home country. That's why I've lived here for so long!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Should I stop living life as normal? Stop skiing because others can't?

Who said that then?

I should know better than responding to you though.
Perhaps you could once again tell us all how life in Hokkaido is just going on totally as normal.
Just in case someone didn't pick up on it.

What is your problem? So I mention that things are ok up here and you have an issue with that. Why? Is there anything wrong with attempting to assure people out there who may be wanting to come to Hokkaido that they've got nothing to worry about? Seriously what is your problem?

The snow glows in the dark so night skiing is awesome. They don't even need to turn on the lights which is great for saving electricity! All the soft cock gaijin (mostly poms) have left so if anything it's better than it has been in years!!

We are basically independent of the grid that supplies northern Honshu. We have our own reactors up this way too you know and I don't believe any of them went offline during the quake. Not sure how people in Hokkaido saving energy beyond normal would make any difference to what's occurring down south.

I was told today that in Nagano, Niigata and Northern Honshu and Hokkaido electricity is 60Hz compared to Tokyo and the areas affected by the quake which is 50Hz so a lot of the areas that are saving power are only doing it as a way to show their support to the areas that have to go without power but it doesnt make any difference to the affected areas electricity problems.

Still any way to save energy has got to be good.

Don't know about anywhere else but the reason that electricity is being saved in this area is to prevent unscheduled blackouts due to supply issues.

We have been due to have some planned blackouts, but they have all been cancelled so far as supply has been ok.

This is not all "out of sympathy".