1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I went to Lake Toya today with the wife and kid to enjoy the beautiful weather and hopefully find some snowfree ground. Was very limited snowfree areas but we found a playground area with not too much snow and the little one had a great day. Nice to have a break from all the terrible news.

Yeah I went down the beach today, was beautiful actually. Very strange to think that only a few hundred k's up the coast the place is devastated. At least i got out of the house and away from the News casts

Went for a short walk this afternoon.

With so much snow still here though no parks etc unfortunately and so not many places to walk other than roads.

It is such a beautiful day though - sunny and warm.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I'll try to do my bit to get out, maybe tomorrow.

I think I might wait a bit.
Still feeling pretty uneasy with the threat of aftershocks and everything.
Hope to try and get out though asap.

Yeah Lake Toya gets a lot less snow than around these parts so it starts melting off a lot earlier. The ground was still covered in snow but the play equipment was free of it and it was lovely and warm in the sun. Great day for a family outing. Not so good for the snow though!

I would guess that generally someone who has been through a strong earthquake experience - I doubt they will be rushing to the hills anytime soon.

Someone who hasn't had that experience may well be much more cavalier in attitude, however horrible the images are. Experiencing it changes your outlook immensely.

Me? Not likely for a while thats for sure.

We took the kids to the kids area for an hour or so today to get them out of the house. Its only ten minutes by car.

As for the previous message, different people deal with things in different ways. Literally millions experienced the Great Hanshin Earthquake (me too fwiw), but I doubt they all have the same outlook and have reacted to this latest disaster in the same way.

The point perhaps being that once you have experienced the horror of a strong, very frightening earthquake, rather than just a few wobbles, most people seem to take them much more seriously. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone I know in Niigata would say the same. I think Rob made a comment in the other thread along those lines too.

I didn't really give them that much thought until the Chuetsu one. I do now.

Life has to go on for those not effected. If we shut down, the economy will dry up and that wont help the people that need our tax money. Of course going out will be hard but we have to move forward somehow. I took my kids out and had fun. At all times I could not get the images or the problems out of my head. It does no good to stress my children out as well, so we got them out. My 4 year old daughter skied the womans downhill which I was so proud of. A small moment but important step to getting back to life.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Sorry if that came across as offensive, but I didn't react very well to the "much more cavalier" expression.

Not offensive at all, just obvious. I don't know you.
No need to get your knickers twisted up, I wasn't directhing the comment to you in any way.

wakaranai

Life goes on for sure.

I'm afraid that driving to the mountains and putting on skis is not high on my list of things that I want to do - or of things that I think will help - right now. In fact, it's not on the list at all.

There is not much we can do really. It is best left to the army and the pros to get in there and save people. Once that is said and done, Im sure that they will need people for the clean up. With the gas problem and such I cant see many people getting to the resorts any time soon really.

We were not affected up here in Sapporo.

Spent Saturday skiing with the family. Latter that afternoon skinned up to an area with my son. Really nice pow up top nasty sunbaked on the lower half.