1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Was discussing this with a friend this morning after the Niigata/Nagano strong quake following on from the devastation of yesterday and this developing situation.

So, on a day like today, with all that misery and destruction, you any qualms about getting out on skis? Feel a bit bad about doing it. Don't feel like it anyway?

Let's poll

Very quiet. A lot of people who were to arrive yesterday and today have obviously been delayed. Today was actually meant to be one of the busiest days of the whole season for check-ins at one of the properties I'm involved with but not sure how many will make it.

There's nothing I can do about what's happened further south (well not today anyway) and I've just had most of the week sitting in the office watching all the new snow fall longing to get out in it. Today was my only chance before the expected warm temperatures tomorrow to get in some powder turns. Not sure if even a death in my family would have stopped me getting up there this morning!!

Yeah, once I knew my girl and her family were all ok, I was fine with going out for a ski. Up here in Furano we only just felt the quake, so I wasn't too concerned. If I was on Honshu though, I'd probably stay in.

It was very quiet early on, but by about 10 there were a few people out on the mountain. We've had a high school race meet here for almost a week, and the races where cancelled for today - I think that there might be many Tohoku schools competing.

Some of the best uncrowded waves I've had was at Ulu's after the bombings. It was spooky in a way but we almost surfed by ourselves. Tonight I have a choice of going to Aus on Monday or Japan to go boarding. I'm going back to Aus, just couldnt be there right now.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Tonight I have a choice of going to Aus on Monday or Japan to go boarding. I'm going back to Aus, just couldnt be there right now.

Don't blame you mate.

I went out for the morning in Happo. I was surprised by the number of Japanese out there actually. I teared up riding the lift a few times remembering my years living in Sendai and Iwaki Fukushima. Many of the places (Ishinomaki, Minami Soma, Shichigahama, Gakaemai...etc) that we would spend many, many weekends surfing and camping at are gone..just gone. Minami Soma perhaps the worst hit was our summer getaway for years.

We all have our ways to deal and mine was to get as close to the guy upstairs to say a few private words.

I need something positive right now. We spent Friday night driving around for 12 hours b/c we had to U-turn halfway to Zao. 8-10 of those hours were just coming back! Then today I was put on stand by in case they need us to provide humanitarian support (nothing bad about that though), but was also told I may have to go to work and just sit around! wtf! lol

THEN my daughter gets a stomach virus again. She will probably be ill for the next few days. I also get to work tomorrow at 0730, fun! By the way, today is our 4th anniversary, lol.

Not saying 'woe is me' or anything, I know there are people far off worse right now. Just saying that if I had the opportunity, I would hit the mountain.

Yeah, wasn't sure what to do yesterday morning. I ended up going up because a) I don't have a tv here and therefore hadn't then seen all the terrible footage nor realised the full extent of the devastation; and B) it was my last chance to ride Furano this season and there was quite a bit of fresh snow! Got quite a shock when I finally saw some tv footage last night!

I just looked at the Gala Yuzawa webcam.

It looks quieter than a quiet weekday.

Very very few people.

I wonder if this is just going to decimate the remainder of the season.

I'll try to do my bit to get out, maybe tomorrow.

Pete if you are comming back to the sunny coast.I would like to catch up and get you to show me what I'm doing wrong with trying to put the pic's on the fourm. I have spent Hour's it's driving me nut's.Payment in beer will be provided Roscoe smile

David its my end when I go to copy then paste it disappears on me.have tried many time's Tried to email you trip report when we got back but it was to big and got rejected.Think it may of been to many photo's. Waiting for my son to come home and see if he can help me. wakaranai

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi roscoe, from your explanation I'm not really grasping what the problem is. Tried to email me a trip report - you sent that by normal email? Did it get bounced back or something? We don't have a limit on the size of emails coming in....

Anyway if you want help please do email us at editor@snowjapan.com and I will help. Probably best not to overtake the thread with that discussion! Thanks friend