Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Obviously, it's all Robs fault!

I expect some compensation, too. Should be no problem for Rob...he's been overcompensating for years... wavey

biggrin
Touche Chriselle.

En guard. wink
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

On topic though, I'm glad to hear that they are very sorry.

Always re-assuring.

And there's never a better time to book that early bird special deal in Hakuba or Niseko.

wink

Sorry to hear that.

NHK has holes in the equipment and workers seeing crazy raditation readings on the news tonight. As well as widening worries in Fukusbima.

I wonder when a turning point will come and we actually get some even vague semi-decent news rather than this progressively worse situation we are in.

Amazing how people generally seem numbed up to the bad news coming in. I suppose if we were cynical we might think that was the strategy.

Originally Posted By: Curt
Sorry to hear that.

NHK has holes in the equipment and workers seeing crazy raditation readings on the news tonight. As well as widening worries in Fukusbima.

I wonder when a turning point will come and we actually get some even vague semi-decent news rather than this progressively worse situation we are in.

Amazing how people generally seem numbed up to the bad news coming in. I suppose if we were cynical we might think that was the strategy.

We're probably only know that in hindsight. After all, bits of 'good news' are often followed by more grim stuff. I agree though people are pretty numbed up to those graphics of the reactors now.
Originally Posted By: echineko
I found out recently another person from my school days was taken away by tsunami, so now that is 3 people I know.

sadface

Really sorry about that echineko.

Are you from that area?

On Bankisha tonight they covered one of those places in Tohoku on the coast that gets flooded twice a day due to the ground sinking 70+cm and the tides coming in. Sewage and all. Yikes, what a nightmare that must be.

As long as they apologise and they are sorry, everything should be just fine.

Quote:
Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is not fully prepared for heavy rain and winds of a typhoon heading towards the country, officials admit.

Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), which runs the plant, said some reactor buildings were uncovered, prompting fears the storm may carry radioactive material into the air and sea.

Typhoon Songda is expected to hit mainland Japan as early as Monday.

Fukushima was heavily damaged by the deadly 11 March quake and tsunami.

'Inappropriate measures'

"We have made utmost efforts, but we have not completed covering the damaged reactor buildings," a Tepco official said on Saturday.

"We apologise for the lack of significant measures against wind and rain," the official added.

Originally Posted By: echineko
I found out recently another person from my school days was taken away by tsunami, so now that is 3 people I know.

sadface
Echi! I am so sorry to hear that bad news. To lose someone is very sad. To lose three people - from different families - I can not comprehend the sadness.
console

There must be a number of people from those area's that have lost more people than they can count on all their fingers and toes. Too painful to bear thinking about :(
Originally Posted By: TheOrange
On Bankisha tonight they covered one of those places in Tohoku on the coast that gets flooded twice a day due to the ground sinking 70+cm and the tides coming in. Sewage and all. Yikes, what a nightmare that must be.

I saw that, it's pretty wild. Seems they need to put up with it for another 2 months or so as well.

Wonder how many people this whole lot has put people off the idea of living right on the coast!

Still about 30 a day or so in that big region. Mostly small ones.

What is the average daily rate of quakes when no major event has happended, anyone know?

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Hows the situation with aftershocks now? Still rumbling on?

I'm not feeling them any more, so they must be small. For about a month after the main one, they were coming hourly or thereabouts.

Haven't felt one from over in Tohoku for quite a long time now. We are far away though. Still having the odd shake every now and again as leftovers from our local March 12th one though.

The night I came back from vacation in the states w/the family I felt one...think there was one the next night too. Other than that, haven't felt much. (was around mid-May)

Nice to see it settling down, hope it can stay this way. Seems the rest of the world is getting theirs now :( On a side note my Aunt lost her house during that tornado in Joplin.

Time for a break, mother nature smile

Re: mamabear

"There must be a number of people from those area's that have lost more people than they can count on all their fingers and toes. Too painful to bear thinking about :("

There is a continuing series of utterly harrowing stories (and some uplifting) coming from the East Coast. Schools full of children who survived but lost both parents.

An alternative is a retired engineer in Iwate, who didn't rate the evacuation procedures in his community. He built a staircase up the cliff behind his home at his own expense. He and over 70 of his neighbours survived.