Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Originally Posted By: frannyo
Looks like some dudes going into one of the Fukushima reactor buildings.
Hurray!

doh what an idiot, doesn't he know there was an uber accident there a few weeks ago!!??

Click to reveal..
wink
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

They are closing for a period of time only until they build higher wave barriers and re-inforce the buildings etc and add back up power supplies!

It is supposed to re-open again though, unfortunately.

I see Fukushima and Ibaraki in particular are still getting quite a lot of shakes each day, most of them small. Even 2 months after every day. I'm sure you get used to it in a way, but it must be very stressful.

sadface

Here's yesterdays line-up

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼’3時ï¼ï¼åˆ†  9日22時55分頃 åƒè‘‰çœŒåŒ—西部 M3.9 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼’2時4ï¼åˆ†  9日22時35分頃 茨城県沖 M3.6 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼’1時43分  9日21時38分頃 長野県å—部 M2.4 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼’1時41分  9日21時37分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M2.6 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼’1時31分  9日21時26分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M2.6 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼’1時13分  9日21時ï¼ï¼˜åˆ†é ƒ 茨城県沖 M4.3 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘9時57分  9日19時53分頃 茨城県沖 M4.2 震度3

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘8時51分  9日18時46分頃 åƒè‘‰çœŒæ±æ–¹æ²– M2.8 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘8時14分  9日18時ï¼ï¼™åˆ†é ƒ 茨城県沖 M3.6 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘6時ï¼ï¼“分  9日15時58分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæ²– M3.8 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘4時ï¼ï¼åˆ†  9日13時56分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒä¸­é€šã‚Š M2.9 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘2時31分  9日12時27分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š ï¼­ï¼“ï¼Žï¼ éœ‡åº¦ï¼‘

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘2時14分  9日12時1ï¼åˆ†é ƒ ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M3.1 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘2時13分  9日12時ï¼ï¼™åˆ†é ƒ ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M3.4 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘2時ï¼ï¼•åˆ†  9日12時ï¼ï¼åˆ†é ƒ ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M2.8 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘1時31分  9日11時26分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæ²– M4.4 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘1時24分  9日11時19分頃 茨城県沖 M3.8 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘1時14分  9日11時1ï¼åˆ†é ƒ 宮城県沖 M3.6 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼‘ï¼æ™‚11分  9日1ï¼æ™‚ï¼ï¼—分頃 茨城県北部 M2.8 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼™æ™‚45分  9日ï¼ï¼™æ™‚41分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæ²– M3.9 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼™æ™‚ï¼ï¼•åˆ†  9日ï¼ï¼™æ™‚ï¼ï¼‘分頃 茨城県北部 M3.9 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼˜æ™‚59分  9日ï¼ï¼˜æ™‚54分頃 トカラ列島近海 M3.7 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼˜æ™‚48分  9日ï¼ï¼˜æ™‚44分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒä¸­é€šã‚Š M2.8 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼˜æ™‚ï¼ï¼˜åˆ†  9日ï¼ï¼˜æ™‚ï¼ï¼”分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M3.6 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼—時28分  9日ï¼ï¼—時24分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M3.5 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼–時32分  9日ï¼ï¼–時28分頃 茨城県沖 M3.4 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼•æ™‚ï¼ï¼“分  9日ï¼ï¼”時59分頃 å²é˜œçœŒé£›é¨¨åœ°æ–¹ ï¼­ï¼“ï¼Žï¼ éœ‡åº¦ï¼’

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼”時28分  9日ï¼ï¼”時23分頃 宮城県沖 M4.3 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼“時47分  9日ï¼ï¼“時43分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæ²– M3.3 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼“時13分  9日ï¼ï¼“時ï¼ï¼˜åˆ†é ƒ ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M2.9 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼’時37分  9日ï¼ï¼’時32分頃 種å­å³¶è¿‘æµ· M3.5 震度1

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼’時2ï¼åˆ†  9日ï¼ï¼’時15分頃 ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M2.8 震度2

å¹³æˆï¼’3年ï¼ï¼•æœˆï¼ï¼™æ—¥ï¼ï¼æ™‚25分  9日ï¼ï¼æ™‚ï¼’ï¼åˆ†é ƒ ç¦å³¶çœŒæµœé€šã‚Š M4.2 震度2

No doubt there are more than a few people suffering from stress related things now. It was a couple of weeks after our one when I was at my worst through those continued shakes, stress, lack of sleep etc.

I remember seeing those images of the ground moving on CNN. Creepy.

Been a few mag 5s or close to in the ocean area where the originall biggie was today. Not much in terms of shaking on the coastal areas, but there haven't been many like that recently from what I remember. I hope it doesn't mean there's a stronger one coming..

I think they have been pretty regular, sanjo.

Interesting though how Fukushima and Ibaragi seem to be getting the most aftershocks still.

Interesting though how Fukushima and Ibaragi seem to be getting the most aftershocks still.

Originally Posted By: joshnii

Apparently since the big one the number of earthquakes are 3 times more than usual and will continue like this for quite some time!
Hope they are wrong. Sometimes though many small earhtquakes are good, as they can release the pressure from the plates, thus reducing the chance of a big one striking again soon.
Of course it can also have an opposite affect and gradually course more stress on the plates!

At the end of the day who knows!

I hope not.

JMA say in their reports that things are calming down and the chances of a M7 or more are now low. But there's still a chance. I read somewhere a while ago that because of there not being that many M9 events, there's simply not enough data to show a real pattern, they were just guessing that there might be a M8 sometime because there has been in previously sized events.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Originally Posted By: joshnii

Apparently since the big one the number of earthquakes are 3 times more than usual and will continue like this for quite some time!
Hope they are wrong. Sometimes though many small earhtquakes are good, as they can release the pressure from the plates, thus reducing the chance of a big one striking again soon.
Of course it can also have an opposite affect and gradually course more stress on the plates!

At the end of the day who knows!

I think in the big picture snowdude earthquakes of the size less than M4 are almost totally insignificant and really aren't releasing enough pressure to make any real difference. If a big one is due, it will inevitably come such is the massive amount of stress that needs to be relieved.

I was reading something about those boats that perched themsevles on the top of buildings. Seems for some of them they are literally going to have to cut them into pieces. That in itself will I would think take a bit of time.

Seems there has been a "massive" 5.whatever quake in Spain.

Quote:
We live just south-east of Lorca and felt both earthquakes. There was a rumbling noise and the house shook so much a plate fell off the dresser and broke.

Shook so much that a plate fell off the dresser!!!! veryshocked

All relative isn't it.

buildings have fallen down. A church bell almost crushed a camera crew. It just goes to show how good Japanese engineering is though, that quakes in most parts of the world make building fall or crumble but Japanese buildings stand pretty firm.