Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Just a few places where the plasterboard-and-wallpaper interior walls cracked. Purely cosmetic, and not enough to make a claim over.

There is some coverage for personal effects inside the house, though not sure of/forgotten the details. Didn't need to use it, in any case.

Yes, we have earthquake insurance. And with an 87% chance of a big one here...I'll make sure we continue to have it.

Kan only requested they shut down Hamaoka. I'll bet they will build a wall and beef up safety but I doubt they will shut it down cold turkey.

He doesn't have the authority to order it to shut down apparently. I've surfed near there quite a few times and was always surprised that they had no tsunami barriers at all... Really hope they shut it down!

One thing I have learnt from all of this:

make sure that your phone app for earthquake detection is set up correctly, otherwise you'll be woken up by an alarm for a shindo 1 earthquake in Fukushima.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Programme just starting on NHK now about the tsunami....
Serious one, looks interesting.

I was watching some of that....the footage still shocks me
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Some amazing stories indeed.

And a crucial lesson: Pay attention to tsunami warnings.

It seems lots of people didn't even know about the warnings, so better still if you live near the coast and feel a strong quake best to get up to higher ground asap anyway.

Yes on that programme last night a few people said that they didn't hear any warning. Apparently lots of people were cleaning up the mess in their house that the earthquake made when the tsunami arrived.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Those two women clutching to the roof of their house was amazing! How lucky were they to survive?!!

Yes that was crazy.

Some of those people must not be able to sleep at night with some of the images they must have in their heads.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
One thing I have learnt from all of this:

make sure that your phone app for earthquake detection is set up correctly, otherwise you'll be woken up by an alarm for a shindo 1 earthquake in Fukushima.

Turning the thing off altogether is the best idea I think!
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Some amazing stories indeed.

And a crucial lesson: Pay attention to tsunami warnings.

It seems lots of people didn't even know about the warnings, so better still if you live near the coast and feel a strong quake best to get up to higher ground asap anyway.

Yes, in that case, consider the quake your warning.

So sad to think how many lives might have been spared, if only...

Just been on Bankisha tv program about so many schools in Fukushima - right through west to central Fukushima that is well out of the 20km/30km zone - not using their school fields because of radiation levels. Really got to wonder if we are not being told stuff.

Just watching something on Tv now and they are showing how Disneyland coped with the shindo 5 strong they got on 11th March. Very well prepared it seemed.

Thing that got me was they are saying that there was 10,000 staff there! Ten thousand?! 90% of them arubaito.