Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Here is a bit of a different take on the predictability of earthquakes... and on that seismic hazard map...

Quote:
TOKYO —

Robert Geller, a University of Tokyo professor specializing in seismology, has urged the Japanese government to give up efforts at earthquake prediction in an article issued Thursday on the online edition of the renowned British science magazine Nature.

‘‘All of Japan is at risk from earthquakes, and the present state of seismological science does not allow us to reliably differentiate the risk level in particular geographic areas,’’ Geller wrote in the article, contributed to the ‘‘Comment’’ section.

The U.S. national called on the government to ‘‘prepare for the unexpected’’ and ‘‘tell the public frankly that earthquakes cannot be predicted.’‘

Geller also said that since 1979, earthquakes that killed 10 or more people in Japan have actually occurred in places assigned a relatively low probability on the government’s seismic hazard map published on a yearly basis.

The map assesses that magnitude-8 level earthquakes would hit the Tokai, Tonankai and Nankai regions, but Geller said that ‘‘the hazard map and the methods used to produce it are flawed and should be discarded.’‘

‘‘Future basic research in seismology must be soundly based on physics, impartially reviewed, and be led by Japan’s top scientists rather than by faceless bureaucrats,’’ he said.

Referring to the well-documented 1896 Sanriku tsunami which had a maximum height of 38 meters and hit the Tohoku area in northeastern Japan, Geller said tsunami that hit and crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant could have been ‘‘foreseen’’ if the historical record had been used as the basis for estimating seismic hazards.

‘‘Countermeasures for dealing with such events could and should have been incorporated in the initial design of the Fukushima nuclear power plants,’’ Geller said.

The map posted above is not a "seismic hazard map".

Not often you hear the gaijin with the 'shouga nai' attitude is it. wink

The 'faceless bureaucrats' comment sounds pretty typical though.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Well, predicting an earthquake and doing research to say that pressures or whatever you call them under ground in certain regions are more than others etc are quite different things.
The latter isn't actually pure speculation is it.

But that map doesn't measure pressure though does it?

According to the OP it measures probability of earthquake in that area.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
...due to increased pressures after March 11th, no?

Whatever. Have it your way.
wakaranai

But the title of that map doesn't mention anything about pressure does it?

Ok, lets compare that chart to the recent aftershocks and see how they match up, eh? wink

Also, whats the point in publishing a map that is missing so much data? confused
Originally Posted By: RobBright
But the title of that map doesn't mention anything about pressure does it?

The article does. In fact, that's the whole point being made. Recap:

æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§èµ·ããŸåœ°æ®»å¤‰å‹•ã®å½±éŸ¿ã§ã€é¦–都åœã®åºƒã„範囲ã®åœ°ç›¤ã«åŠ›ãŒåŠ ã‚ã‚Šã€åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚„ã™ã„状態ã«ãªã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã¨ã®è§£æžçµæžœã‚’ã€æ±äº¬å¤§åœ°éœ‡ç ”究所ã®ã‚°ãƒ«ãƒ¼ãƒ—ãŒï¼’ï¼’æ—¥ã€ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

解æžçµæžœã¯ã€å¤§éœ‡ç½å¾Œã«ç™ºç”Ÿã—ãŸåœ°éœ‡ã®åˆ†å¸ƒã¨ã‚‚ã»ã¼ä¸€è‡´ã—ã¦ã„る。åŒç ”究所ã§ã¯ã€å›½ã®åœ°éœ‡èª¿æŸ»å§”員会ãŒä»Šå¾Œï¼“ï¼å¹´é–“ã«ï¼—ï¼ï¼…ã®ç¢ºçŽ‡ã§èµ·ãã‚‹ã¨äºˆæ¸¬ã—ã¦ã„るマグニãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼—ç´šã®å—é–¢æ±ã®åœ°éœ‡ãŒèª˜ç™ºã•ã‚Œã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã¨ã—ã¦ã€æ³¨æ„を呼ã³ã‹ã‘ã¦ã„る。

åŒç ”究所ã®çŸ³è¾ºå²³ç”·ãƒ»ç‰¹ä»»ç ”究員らã¯ã€é¦–都åœã§éŽåŽ»ï¼’4年間ã«èµ·ããŸç´„3万ã®åœ°éœ‡ã§ç ´å£Šã•ã‚ŒãŸé ˜åŸŸãŒã€æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§ã©ã®ã‚ˆã†ãªå½±éŸ¿ã‚’å—ã‘ã‚‹ã‹ã‚’解æžã—ãŸã€‚ãã®çµæžœã€åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚„ã™ããªã‚‹åŠ›ãŒåƒã領域ã¯ç´„1万7ï¼ï¼ï¼ã§ã€èµ·ãã«ãããªã‚‹é ˜åŸŸã®ç´„ï¼—ï¼ï¼ï¼ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚多ã„ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ†ã‹ã£ãŸã€‚

震æºãŒï¼“ï¼ã‚­ãƒ­ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚æµ…ã„地震ã¯ä¼Šè±†ãƒ»ç®±æ ¹ã‚’å«ã‚€é™å²¡çœŒæ±éƒ¨ã‹ã‚‰ç¥žå¥ˆå·çœŒè¥¿éƒ¨ã§ã€ï¼“ï¼ã‚­ãƒ­ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚æ·±ã„地震ã¯èŒ¨åŸŽçœŒå—西部ã€ãŠã‚ˆã³æ±äº¬æ¹¾åŒ—部ã‹ã‚‰éŠšå­ã«è‡³ã‚‹ç¯„囲ã§èµ·ãã‚„ã™ããªã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ¤æ˜Žã—ãŸã€‚

So over the next 30 years, the probability of the great kanto earthquake has been increased by 70%. So from the original 100% of the great kanto earthquake occurring within the the 70years from the original cycle, it has increased by 70% within he next 30 years. So we are at 170% now. wink

国ã®åœ°éœ‡èª¿æŸ»å§”員会ãŒä»Šå¾Œï¼“ï¼å¹´é–“ã«ï¼—ï¼ï¼…ã®ç¢ºçŽ‡ã§èµ·ãã‚‹ã¨äºˆæ¸¬ã—ã¦ã„るマグニãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼—ç´šã®å—é–¢æ±ã®åœ°éœ‡ãŒèª˜ç™ºã•ã‚Œã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã¨ã—ã¦ã€æ³¨æ„を呼ã³ã‹ã‘ã¦ã„ã‚‹

oh wise sanjo, please translate this for me, as I no speak Japanese. rolleyes

No, do it yourself.

I'm not wise, but I can read Japanese enough to know that it sure doesn't say

"So over the next 30 years, the probability of the great kanto earthquake has been increased by 70%. So from the original 100% of the great kanto earthquake occurring within the the 70years from the original cycle, it has increased by 70% within he next 30 years. So we are at 170% now."

Originally Posted By: sanjo
No, do it yourself.

I'm not wise, but I can read Japanese enough to know that it sure doesn't say

"So over the next 30 years, the probability of the great kanto earthquake has been increased by 70%. So from the original 100% of the great kanto earthquake occurring within the the 70years from the original cycle, it has increased by 70% within he next 30 years. So we are at 170% now."

I notice how you didn't quote the wink there either. wink
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Metabo, what's the latest news with the Reactors, I've kinda stopped watching the news cause it was depressing the shit outta me.

Well, they are pouring lots of water through the reactor cores, and most of the temperature and radiation readings are going down, very slowly. Nowhere near stable conditions yet, though, and a lot could go wrong in a hurry at any time. Good news is that atmospheric releases seem to be relatively low for now, bad news is that lots of contaminated water is being generated, with some of it being leaked into the ground. Tokyo Electric is talking about putting in underground barriers to try to confine the contaminated water on site as much as possible.

Also, some of the numbers being reported look odd (some temperature and radiation readings and isotope ratios, for example), which have some people scratching their heads. Hopefully there will be turn out to be benign explanations for them, such as instrument malfunctions or transcription errors, but anyway, there is a lot about the state of the situation there that is still not well understood.

Here's something.

You know that kind of at-sea sea-sick kind of feeling you get when there's a small wobble of an earthquake? Anyone getting that sometimes when there actually ISN'T an earthquake... you know, all in the mind? Sometimes I kind of feel like that after all we have had the last month and a half. I have to look up at a light that easily sways to see if we are actually moving or not (and then check the JMA website to see if there was one or not).

Originally Posted By: Wizz
Here's something.

You know that kind of at-sea sea-sick kind of feeling you get when there's a small wobble of an earthquake? Anyone getting that sometimes when there actually ISN'T an earthquake... you know, all in the mind? Sometimes I kind of feel like that after all we have had the last month and a half. I have to look up at a light that easily sways to see if we are actually moving or not (and then check the JMA website to see if there was one or not).

I have had that feeling yes. And sometimes noises that sound like a quake about to rattle but turn out to be trucks or something.