Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Wonder what happened to flights that were approaching the airports when this happened. Obviously the airports will have closed down, wonder where they went on to? Osaka?

Hey is my big glass dome I suggested part of Tepco's plans?

It really should be.

If they watch The Simpsons movie, they could get some Top Tips on how to do it.

I've been here 10+ years now and that was of course by far the biggest and scariest I have felt. Makes you think what a big one right under our feet would be like, and I am really considering moving out of Tokyo. Where to, don't know. But I'm not feeling comfortable.

Funny, when you come to Japan you know there are earthquakes, but nothing prepares you for something like this. I think lots of people simply shrugged off the threat but there are lots of people not reconsidering that attitude.

from pie-eater in another thread:

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
I am trying to keep myself occupied and not thinking about it.

I guess there will be some accummulated stress in there that I'm not letting out proper, not aware of or aren't admitting.

But I really don't like hearing stuff about the possibility of M8 aftershocks and also 'Tokyo getting one' kind of discussions. I sort of want to know, but don't.

Regarding huge aftershocks.

If there were to be a mega M8 one, am I correct in guessing (hoping) that such an aftershock would happen very close to the original M9 quake location.

The 'aftershock region' is very large, and some of it covering land in the west part, so I am hoping that the mechanics of a possible M8 aftershock or whatever would mean such a big one would have to come from the same original place, rather than potentially happen just off the Fukushima coast for example.

?

I don't know brit-gob.

I hope you are right.

Sure wouldn't want that to strike just off Chiba like some of the other aftershocks are....

Damn can someone just go into the future, come back and let us know please.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I don't know brit-gob.
I hope you are right.
Sure wouldn't want that to strike just off Chiba like some of the other aftershocks are....

Damn can someone just go into the future, come back and let us know please.

Get in...

delorean1.jpg

Cows are suffering too.

Just seen a rather distressing bit on the news of tons of cows in a cowshed shouting their heads off hungry and thirsty. This is close to Fukushima where they soon will just be left alone.

sadface

Originally Posted By: 69
Cows are suffering too.
Just seen a rather distressing bit on the news of tons of cows in a cowshed shouting their heads off hungry and thirsty. This is close to Fukushima where they soon will just be left alone.

sadface

FUKUSHIMA--More than 600,000 domesticated animals have been left behind within the 20-kilometer evacuation zone around the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant since local livestock farmers evacuated more than a month ago.

As of Tuesday, about 30,000 pigs, about 600,000 chickens and about 3,000 cattle were still in the evacuation zone, the Fukushima prefectural government said. Many of them are believed to have starved to death.

As for the livestock that are still alive, farmers want them put down instead of letting them die from starvation. But administrative offices have said they cannot deal with the matter until radioactivity leaking from the plant is brought under control.

According to the Fukushima prefectural government, livestock and dairy farming thrived within the zone--a farm producing brand-name "Fukushima beef" and a leading food manufacturer's piggery being just two examples--before the nuclear crisis occurred.

The government issued the evacuation directive on March 12, the day after the Great East Japan Earthquake hit the Pacific coast of the Tohoku and Kanto regions. The disaster caused the nuclear crisis, leaving local farmers with no alternative but to flee immediately and abandon their livestock.

Prima Ham Co. in Shinagawa Ward, Tokyo, had bred about 13,000 pigs at a farm in Tomiokamachi, a town about six kilometers from the nuclear plant. A company spokesman said, "The best we could do was to evacuate about 30 employees from the farm."

Shuichi Soma, 35, a dairy farmer responsible for 200 cattle in Odaka Ward, Minami-Soma, a city within the 20-kilometer radius, said he visited his cowshed early this month, only to find some cows dead and others thin and starving.

"Some cows came up to me and mooed forlornly, but I had no means of saving their lives," he said.

A man, 73, who looked after 20 cattle in Tomiokamachi, said he often left his evacuation center to go and feed his cows. "I know each of these cows right down to their facial details and individual characteristics. I don't want to see them suffer," he said.

A local livestock and farming cooperative association and individual livestock farmers have asked the prefectural government to prevent the livestock from starving to death and suggested they be put down instead.

But the prefectural government said it had no alternative but to turn down this request because it is too dangerous to enter the 20-kilometer radius zone.

Likewise, the Self-Defense Forces cannot afford to dispatch personnel for this purpose as they are busy with their main mission, including search operations for missing people.

"It's heartbreaking but our hands are tied and we can't do anything about this situation," a prefectural government official in charge of livestock business said.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the impression that Tepco don't seem to have a **** clue what to do and fighting a 'losing' battle.

The daily news coming out of these seems to be more problems every day with no problems seemingly being fixed.

I'm limiting mine to once a day on NHK.

But I am keeping an eye on the JMA earthquake listing page at least a few times a day, and reading the reports they put out in Japanese - feel the need to keep up with that.