Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

The ground sunk 84cm in one place on the coast in Tohoku.

Just showed some people living in areas where the sea is coming on and flooding them twice a day.

sadface

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

I totally don't get Disneyland myself and the appeal with young adults and no children. But whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Got to remember though that lots of people are going through some massively stressful times at the moment. Going to enjoy something that they love might just be a big emotional release from whatever particular stresses they are experiencing. Everyone deals with these things in their own way, perhaps their love of Mickey et al was just something that triggered something in them.

friend

yeah I'm not a fan of Disneyland either.....I've been once and thats enough for me. I like good rides and there just isn't enough at Disneyland.

Some of that footage is incredible and god only knows what was going through peoples minds as they watched their whole life being washed away. The US Navy has been reporting giant debris fields many kms out at sea, where whole towns are floating by. They have to take evasive action so as not to damage the ship with any submerged rubble. Read a story on the BBC of a teacher who was coach of the swimming club, the kids were down at the seaside pool complex, just changed to go into the pool when the earthquake struck, they were evacuated to the designated community centre (although the school was closer and higher up) but most were killed the tsunami struck....the teacher survived as she was at the school at the time, her colleague is still missing (died?) after trying to evacuate the kids from the pool. 2 girls survived by treading water and breathing in a 6 inch gap between the surface and the ceilling of the room they got washed into. They said there were 3 of them, but they couldn't hold the 3rd girl and had to watch helpless as she was swept away from their grip.....that'll stay with them for the rest of their lives. Very sad

From another thread...

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Does the town have big tsunami barriers or whatever, BM? I know the ones in lots of towns in Tohoku weren't big enough or whatever due to the scale of what went on.

I would have probably got a fair few more days in since the Tohoku earthquake if the local Nagano/Niigata one hadn't kicked off as well.

We actually have a very famous one that has been written about quite a lot in Japanese media. Its basically I giant gate that closes to protect the port area when a tsunami comes. However, I think its all a fantasy as there is a huge river just next to the port. I can't imagine something like this would be very effective against the tsunamis that hit Tohoku.

numazu-floodgate-02.jpg

The gate is in the right hand side of this next photo. As you can see, it wouldn't help much to stop the tsunami from hitting anything other than the port. Tsunamis would just roll right up that river...

IMG_0149s-.jpg

Interesting.

That does look like a little dinky toy down in that lower photo!

I suppose what has happened will have people living low down near the coast in other areas of Japan generally feeling a bit shifty at the monent.

æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ã®å‹ä¿£æ’久会長ã¯ï¼‘ï¼—æ—¥åˆå¾Œã€åŒç¤¾æœ¬åº—ã§è¨˜è€…会見ã—ã€ç¦å³¶ç¬¬ä¸€åŽŸå­åŠ›ç™ºé›»æ‰€äº‹æ•…ã®åŽæŸã«å‘ã‘ãŸåŸºæœ¬çš„ãªè€ƒãˆã‚’発表ã—ãŸã€‚

ãã‚Œã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ã¨ã€äº‹æ•…åŽæŸã«å‘ã‘ãŸé“筋をステップ1ã€ï¼’ã«åˆ†ã‘ã€ã€Œæ”¾å°„ç·šé‡ãŒç€å®Ÿã«æ¸›å°‘傾å‘ã¨ãªã‚‹ã€ã‚¹ãƒ†ãƒƒãƒ—1ã«ï¼“ã‹æœˆç¨‹åº¦ã€ãã®å¾Œã€ã€Œæ”¾å°„性物質ãŒç®¡ç†ã•ã‚Œã€æ”¾å°„ç·šé‡ãŒå¤§å¹…ã«æŠ‘ãˆã‚‰ã‚Œã‚‹ã€ã‚¹ãƒ†ãƒƒãƒ—ï¼’ã«ï¼“~6ã‹æœˆç¨‹åº¦â€•â€•ã¨ã—ã¦ã„る。

TOKYO —

Tokyo Electric Power Co said Sunday that it aims to bring the damaged reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to a stable condition known as a ‘‘cold shutdown’’ in about six to nine months, while restoring stable cooling to the reactors and spent fuel pools in about three months.

At a news conference in Tokyo, company Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata announced the utility’s schedule ‘‘for the moment’’ for bringing the complex in Fukushima Prefecture under control, while offering an apology for the ongoing nuclear crisis.

“We sincerely apologize for causing troubles,†Katsumata said. “We are doing our utmost to prevent the crisis from further worsening.â€

TEPCO said it needs three months to achieve ‘‘steady reduction’’ in radiation, and an additional three to six months to control radioactive emissions and curb radiation substantially.

It said it is addressing the immediate challenges of preventing hydrogen explosions at the Nos. 1 to 3 reactors and emission of water contaminated with high-level radiation from the No. 2 reactor.

The nuclear plant has been crippled by the devastating March 11 earthquake and subsequent tsunami, with the resulting damage causing radioactive materials to be emitted into the environment and forcing residents near the plant to be evacuated.

The company is focusing on cooling the reactors and spent fuel pools, decontaminating water that has been contaminated by radiation, mitigating the release of radiation into the atmosphere and soil and measuring and reducing the amount of radiation effecting the evacuation area, he said.

TEPCO Vice President Sakae Muto said that in addition to covering the reactor buildings, the company will also work with authorities to decontaminate areas affected by the radiation.

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Wow. "At least" 9 months takes us well into next year.
Was hoping for much smaller numbers than that.

I was looking for something like a "few" or "several" months not next year..

For the time being...The nitrogen injecting to prevent an explosion has me concerned. I thought these type of reactors can't explode. wakaranai

its the hydrogen build up again I think, so not an actual nuclear explosion, just an regular explosion but containing radioactive matter. It would be spread, but in a smaller area.

I have just been watching one of the lunchtime 'news' program things. A bit depressing really they were going on about all the risks involved and were basically saying it could take a fair bit longer than the 9 months being said.

Somewhat.

Lets hope so.

It can always quickly liven up again if there's a big shake and the associated new aftershocks etc.

Aftershocks in the last week, 91 on 11th April, 126 on 12th April, etc.

4月11日

ç·å›žæ•°ã€€ï¼™ï¼‘回 震度6弱:1回 震度5強:ï¼å›žã€€éœ‡åº¦ï¼•å¼±ï¼šï¼“回

震度4:6回 震度3:29回 震度2:3ï¼å›ž

震度1:22回

4月12日

ç·å›žæ•°ï¼‘26回 震度6弱:1回 震度5強:ï¼å›žã€€éœ‡åº¦ï¼•å¼±ï¼šï¼‘回

震度4:6回 震度3:24回 震度2:39回

震度1:55回

4月13日

ç·å›žæ•°ã€€ï¼˜ï¼’回 震度5弱:1回 震度4:1回 震度3:7回

震度2:25回 震度1:48回

4月14日

ç·å›žæ•°ã€€ï¼—2回 震度4:2回 震度3:11回 震度2:15回

震度1:44回

4月15日

ç·å›žæ•°ã€€ï¼•ï¼å›žã€€éœ‡åº¦ï¼“:5回 震度2:12回 震度1:33回

4月16日

ç·å›žæ•°ã€€ï¼“6回 震度3:2回 震度2:13回 震度1:21回

4月17日

ç·å›žæ•°ã€€ï¼”3回 震度4:1回 震度3:1ï¼å›žã€€éœ‡åº¦ï¼’:14回

震度1:18回

I'm looking forward to the day when we don't think about earthquakes every day and night and are always wary of them. I have recently realised and noticed that I have actually been pretty stressed out and bottling it up. Need a break on sturdy ground methinks.

Just on News Station that guy from Tepco announcing that they made a mistake with how much water there was in somewhere. Sorry don't know the details but the idea was that less is bettern. "Sorry it wasn't 20cm, it was 5m".

They don't seem to be as switched on as we would all like do they these dudes.

sadface