Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

No damage to my home but a lot of damage to my nerves.

Shit this is scary stuff big time.

Luckily I live nowhere near the coast.

In tears looking at some of this, some of my good friends live in places that have it seems been wiped out.

The bloke from that company yesterday was unintentioally amusing.

Question - we have all seen the photos of that Unit 1 where there was an explosion and the top and sides are no lo longer there

(and any other question asked)

Bloke - we are collecting data and analyse the data to confirm

etc

etc

Originally Posted By: Error404
Anyone else just glued to the tv watching all this?

I work at a teleport (hub for TV signals) in Aus so I been watching this for the past couple of days

They are now daying that the earthquake was 9.0
Originally Posted By: blinkin'ek
The bloke from that company yesterday was unintentioally amusing.

Question - we have all seen the photos of that Unit 1 where there was an explosion and the top and sides are no lo longer there

(and any other question asked)

Bloke - we are collecting data and analyse the data to confirm

etc
etc

Whatever he says or doesn't say, the press are just gonna say whatever they want.

0336: It may seem slightly immaterial given what has followed, but Japanese officials have revised up the strength of Friday's quake from 8.8-magnitude to 9.0. US officials had measured it at 8.9.

This is 'sobering' to say the least:

Quote:
Oki warned that increases in seismic activity, especially of the inland type, have been historically noted before and following plate boundary earthquakes, although she said it was difficult to determine whether it had any relation to the magnitude-6.7 earthquake that hit Nagano and Niigata prefectures early Saturday.

"Plate boundary earthquakes happen every 100 years or so, but one of this magnitude happens only once in 1,000 years," Oki said.

Yuji Yagi, associate professor at Tsukuba University, said an earthquake of this scale could trigger other earthquakes at faults that are already on the brink of a tectonic upheaval.

"The stress created by a massive quake increases the possibility of other large tremors; extreme caution is needed," he said.

Perhaps that is what has happened with the big one we had yesterday morning in Niigata. They were saying on the local news that the theory is that it was some remaining pressure that was released after being given a poke by the Tohoku one.

We can only hope there are no more chain reacion quakes like that.

I remember after the Chuetsu

Initially something like:

"Aftershocks for at least a week"

Soon changed to:

"Aftershocks for at least a month"

Next day:

Next day:

A week later:

A week later:

A week later:

Got to the point where you wanted to thrown something at the tv. Ended up, if I remember correctly, being at least a few months Niigata getting regular shakes.

Originally Posted By: igloo
70% change of a Magnitude 7 class aftershock earthquake in the next 3 days, they just said on NHK news.

chance you mean?

Yeah, there has already been some of those.