Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

マグニチュード(M)7級の首都直下地震が今後4年以内に約70%の確率で発生するという試算を、東京大学地震研究所の研究チームがまとめた。

東日本大震災によって首都圏で地震活動が活発になっている状況を踏まえて算出した。首都直下を含む南関東の地震の発生確率を「30年以内に70%程度」としている政府の地震調査研究推進本部の評価に比べ、切迫性の高い予測だ。

昨年3月11日の東日本大震災をきっかけに、首都圏では地震活動が活発化。気象庁の観測によると12月までにM3~6の地震が平均で1日当たり1・48回発生しており、震災前の約5倍に上っている。

同研究所の平田直なおし教授らは、この地震活動に着目。マグニチュードが1上がるごとに、地震の発生頻度が10分の1になるという地震学の経験則を活用し、今後起こりうるM7の発生確率を計算した。

Thanks for cheering me up dudes.

Translation goes something like quake boffins at Tokyo dai say there's a 70% chance of a Mag 7 directly-under-tokyo quake in the next 4 years.

M3-6 quakes increase 5 fold in the region since March 11th.

マグニチュード(M)7級の首都直下地震が今後4年以内に約70%の確率で発生するという試算を、東京大学地震研究所の研究チームがまとめた。

東日本大震災によって首都圏で地震活動が活発になっている状況を踏まえて算出した。首都直下を含む南関東の地震の発生確率を「30年以内に70%程度」としている政府の地震調査研究推進本部の評価に比べ、切迫性の高い予測だ。

昨年3月11日の東日本大震災をきっかけに、首都圏では地震活動が活発化。気象庁の観測によると12月までにM3~6の地震が平均で1日当たり1・48回発生しており、震災前の約5倍に上っている。

同研究所の平田直なおし教授らは、この地震活動に着目。マグニチュードが1上がるごとに、地震の発生頻度が10分の1になるという地震学の経験則を活用し、今後起こりうるM7の発生確率を計算した。

Thanks for cheering me up dudes.

Translation goes something like quake boffins at Tokyo dai say there's a 70% chance of a Mag 7 directly-under-tokyo quake in the next 4 years.

M3-6 quakes increase 5 fold in the region since March 11th.

They led with that on news station tonight.

BBC today, never one to go for startling headlines:

Big Tokyo earthquake likely 'within the next few years'

The chance of a big earthquake hitting the Japanese capital in the next few years is much greater than official predictions suggest, researchers say.

The team, from the University of Tokyo, said there was a 75% probability that a magnitude seven quake would strike the region in the next four years.

The government says the chances of such an event are 70% in the next 30 years.

The warning comes less than a year after a massive earthquake and tsunami devastated Japan's north-eastern coast.

The last time Tokyo was hit by a big earthquake was in 1923, when a 7.9 magnitude quake killed more than 100,000 people, many of them in fires.

Researchers at the University of Tokyo's earthquake research institute based their figures on data from the growing number of tremors in the capital since the 11 March 2011 quake.

They say that compared with normal years, there has been a five-fold increase in the number of quakes in the Tokyo metropolitan area since the March disaster.

Oh no!! Not the end of the world again :doh:

Why the whole world? can't we just box it up and send it to one area - My vote goes to Greece

according to a LOT of people on my facebook, theres a big earthquake coming tomorrow. So i guess that beats the guardians 98% within 30 years :)

Where the hell has this come from? I thought maybe the folks at jma had released massive breaking new crust anomaly info, but same as it ever was. Are we seeing all these stories coordinating into hyper speed hysteria?

Will it be chips or jacket spuds? Will it be salad or frozen peas? Will it be mushrooms? Fried onion rings? I'll have to wait and see!

But I sure hope get the chance to find out.

:grandpa:

Will it be chips or jacket spuds? Will it be salad or frozen peas? Will it be mushrooms? Fried onion rings? I'll have to wait and see!

But I sure hope get the chance to find out.

:grandpa:

That's funny seeing how you cook for yourself :D

according to a LOT of people on my facebook, theres a big earthquake coming tomorrow. So i guess that beats the guardians 98% within 30 years :)

Where the hell has this come from? I thought maybe the folks at jma had released massive breaking new crust anomaly info, but same as it ever was. Are we seeing all these stories coordinating into hyper speed hysteria?

Ippy, they said they just watched the disaster movie, the Day After Tomorrow!!

silly boy!

;)