Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

I have not had any time to read the forums for a while but on this day my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the tragic events one year ago

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, it is quite difficult to believe that a year has passed since that terrible day.

Thoughts with all of the many people whose lives have bee affected by those events.

At home working on my computer.

It was big, but quiet, jelly wobbles here.

As I know how a big close-by one feels - strong, violent, noisy, terrifying - I pretty much guessed it was a biggie happening somewhere else.

I was soon I'm my car driving around for a few hours with it on navi tv.

At the office when the lights started swaying and we got that weird feeling of motion you can only get in an earthquake. Lasted quite a long time. Wasn't violent all the way up in Hokkaido but I remember thinking that this is a big one and that others would be feeling it far worse than we were. Went straight onto the JMA site to see where it was located and how big it was and within a very short time saw all the tsunami warnings. Spent pretty much the rest of the day watching the events unfold with a horribly sickening feeling.

Saw some coverage on the news over here today, so many people still living in temporary accomodation, the scale of it all is quite staggering. The footage of the Tsunami is still shocking to watch.

One of the statistics they have been talking about is that over 100 of the designated evacuation points were inundated by the Tsunami, I cant imagine what that would be like, to go to a "safe" place and still not be out of the path of destruction.

My thoughts go out to those who have been affected by this disaster.

Snowboarding with my wife at Madarao Kogen. We actually thought it was a minor local event for several hours. We didn't realize what had happened until we made a pit-stop at a parking area on the Chuo expressway. Not being able to get in touch with our friends and family in Numazu (coastal town) was a very frightening experience.

A lot of things changed that day forever. I think about the people who were lost and who are still suffering almost every day.

I was up at the top of Happo-one for the mokutou minute today. Certainly a lot of thoughts and emotions reflecting back on the year and the years past when I lived along the coastline in Fukushima and Miyagi.

There is no shortage of tv programs to pull at the heartstrings today.

Well, snow is falling....life is good.

What were you doing when it happened?

I've told this before but ... My wife, daughter and I were stopped at a traffic light (on our way to Nagano) when the shaking started. Like GN, I thought that's a big one somewhere. It just had that feeling about it. Turned on the radio...tsunami warning...4 meters, 7 meters and soon 10 meters or more they said. Our house is at 3 meters and only a hop-skip and jump from the waters edge. I said, we have to go back. My wife calmly and rationally said, .... Go back to what?

We didn't find out til the next morning that Izu was not affected.

What were you doing when it happened?

I've told this before but ... My wife, daughter and I were stopped at a traffic light (on our way to Nagano) when the shaking started. Like GN, I thought that's a big one somewhere. It just had that feeling about it. Turned on the radio...tsunami warning...4 meters, 7 meters and soon 10 meters or more they said. Our house is at 3 meters and only a hop-skip and jump from the waters edge. I said, we have to go back. My wife calmly and rationally said, .... Go back to what?

We didn't find out til the next morning that Izu was not affected.

Glad you guys were unaffected. You must have felt great (better than what you were feeling) when you actually found out the house was ok!

On a side note, I was driving to Zao last weekend and remembered the exact spot that I first felt the quake. Funny thing is, I wasn't even thinking about the earthquake! But once I got to that spot, everything around me was familiar, and it all came back. We even stopped at the same Service Area (only coincidence, i had to pee! lol)

I was on my field sowing corn seeds and as I stood up I felt dizzy and felt like I was shaking, I happened to stand up at the exact time the quake hit. It was so strong that the cars parked on the road where moving back and fourth about a metre or so. It then occured to me what was hapenig. I sat down on the field until it stopped. I thought that maybe the Tokai earthquake had hit until I heard the news a few moments later on my trucks radio. Felt the secokd big one about thirty , fourty mins later on the way back to pick up my daughter from school.

just got home from work, sat down at the computer and getting into my real job....posting on SJ. started to shake very badly so legged it outside, the road was rolling like the sea and concrete poles were bending over like they were made of rubber. After some nervous laughter with local oba-san's got back inside just in time to feel the next one and hear the tsunami warnings been given for Shonan.....thankfully they didn't come to much