Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

• 2 weeks later...

Wild monkeys to measure radiation levels in Fukushima

Wild monkeys in nuclear-hit Fukushima are to be fitted with special radiation-reading monitors in order to measure contamination levels in forests.

The new project, conducted by researchers at Fukushima University, will involve monkeys being fitted with collars containing radiation meters and GPS transmitters.

Scientists will be able to monitor radiation levels deep across forest areas in Fukushima, home to the nuclear power plant severely damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

The collars will detachable remotely at the end of the experiment, which will last up to around two months, according to a team of scientists led by Professor Takayuki Takahashi.

We decided to use monkeys for this project because the territory they cover is very well known to us," Professor Takahashi told the Telegraph. "It's the first time such an experiment has been carried out with monkeys."

Forests in the Fukushima region are currently being monitored for radiation levels primarily from the air, with testing taking place most commonly from helicopters.

However, scientists are keen to obtain more detailed data in relation to radiation levels in forest habitats and the subsequent contamination exposure of wild animals in the region.

The range of elevations at which monkeys spend their time will also enable scientists to obtain a broad spectrum of radiation level data, from the forest floor to the treetops.

The project will launch in Minamisoma, an area hit hard by the tsunami and earthquake and located just outside the exclusion zone, around 16 miles north of Fukushima Daiichi power plant.

As many as 14 groups of monkeys are believed to reside in the mountains forests to the west of Minamisoma city, which is where the study will focus

• 2 weeks later...

Hope not, that is mostly aftershocks from March 11 th it seems.

I have not heard anything since but got to think that 'our' one in northern Nagano / niigata on March 12th was 'provoked' by the tohoku quake.

Holy Moley, that is scary stuff Muika. Is there a deeper pattern do you think

Yep, the march 13th earthquake has basically set in motion about 10years of aftershocks, in an area about 100miles wide, stretching from southern Chiba/Kanagawa up to Hokkaido. Think that's what they said.

There are apparently dozens of mag 7 aftershocks earthquakes now due over the next decade....

In the 7 years I lived up in the Niseko area I can only recall about 4 or 5 quakes that we felt including the big one and one of the aftershocks. None were over shindo 3 and were kind of fun rather than scary.

• 2 weeks later...

NHK just had amazing story about some people who lucked out on the train that they were on, with the tsunami stopping metres from their train.

Still gets me whenever I hear stories about the tsunami. One day, I hope it doesn't...