Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

I've read a report ages ago that had said Plutonium had been detected in low quantities outsid ethe plant but that scientists couldn't be sure it was actually from the plant itself as the Chernobyl accident and the Nuclear bomb tests of the 50's-70's blew Plutonium around the globe and is detectable at similarly low quantities

• 2 weeks later...

Whats all this about "high" radiation levels found.... in my town! :grandpa:

東京電力福島第一原子力発電所の事故を受けて、文部科学省が新潟県の上空で行った放射線量調査で、村上市や魚沼市などの山間部でやや高めの線量が測定された。

放射性物質を含む花こう岩が多くある地域と重なるため、県は「福島第一原発の事故の影響とは言い切れない」としているが、念のため独自に追加調査を行っている。

文科省の調査は8月30日~9月23日に実施。ヘリコプターで高度150~300メートルを飛び、上空の空間放射線量を測った。その実測値を基に、地表1メートルの空間放射線量などを推測した結果、大半の地域は毎時0・1マイクロ・シーベルト以下で、事故前の通常の測定範囲(毎時0・016~0・16マイクロ・シーベルト)に収まった。

ただ、村上、新発田、魚沼、南魚沼の各市、阿賀、湯沢両町などでは、山間部で0・1~0・2マイクロ・シーベルトの地域が多かった。五泉市と阿賀町の境界、魚沼市の群馬県境などには、0・2~0・5マイクロ・シーベルトの地域もまだら状に存在していた。局所的だが、南魚沼市で0・63マイクロ・シーベルト、関川村で0・62マイクロ・シーベルトとなった地点もあった。

毎時0・2マイクロ・シーベルトを超える地域は、計算上、被曝(ひばく)量が年間1ミリ・シーベルトを超え、環境省が定めた除染対象となる。

しかし、これらの地域は花こう岩の分布域と重なっている。県が調査結果の評価を依頼した工藤久昭・新潟大教授は、「空間線量は、花こう岩などの天然放射性物質を含む地質による影響で高くなることもあり、すべてが福島第一原発事故による影響ではない」と指摘する。

実際、新発田市山間部の線量が高い地域で、県と市が13、14の両日に行った調査では、内の倉川の脇の山腹で花こう岩がむき出しになった場所で、カリウム40など天然の放射性物質が見つかった。線量を測ったところ、ごく一部で比較的高い毎時1・5マイクロ・シーベルトを測定した。

また、文科省が出した地表1メートルの線量は推測値のため、かなりの誤差が生じている可能性もあるという。このため、県は独自の追加調査を実施し、その結果を公表する。具体的には、村上、魚沼、南魚沼の各市と湯沢町などで、線量の測定ができる車を使って地表1メートルの線量を実測するほか、農地などに含まれる放射性セシウムの量も調べる予定。

Oh dear....

Japan's disaster minister says sorry after calling tsunami victims who failed to flee 'idiots'

Japan's disaster minister has come under fire for calling tsunami victims "idiots" for not moving fast enough to safety during the March 11 disaster.

Tatsuo Hirano, the minister in charge of disaster management, made his controversial comment during a meeting with politicians from the Democratic Party of Japan in the town of Nihonmatsu in northeastern Fukushima prefecture.

According to reports by Fuju TV, Mr Hirano told the gathering: "There were those who moved to safety and thought 'we'll be safe here'. Then there were idiots like my old classmate who didn't take shelter. He's dead now."

His comments were likely to have caused embarrassment to the prime minister and the ruling party as he was promoted to his current position after his predecessor was forced to resign only three months ago over making offensive comments.

:doh:

No I didn't M-I-J, I just cut & pasted from a blog that was forwarded to me.

The original pics and text came from Kyodo News. I did put a credit in for them but it seems to have got lost in the paste..

The pics just blew me away and reinforced my opinions of the Japanese people's industry & resilience

I just watched some footage of the tsunami for the first time since seeing it on the news in Japan. Instantly I was reminded how incredibly powerful nature can be. We can build walls, dams, levees, etc. But above all, nature rules.

I still have a hard time believing anything that bad can happen to a country like Japan. I guess it goes to show there is no universal fairness. The Japanese people have done such an amazing job at bonding together and cleaning up some of the more devastated areas which, in itself, is a testament to the good reputation of the culture that I constantly preach about to others. I hope that there is some way we can learn, appreciate, or even just recognize so that all the people hadn't died in vain. I'd like to make a trip down there to do something to off-balance the horror these people had to ensue. Maybe an event for a free lunch at a park or something...just something to help out.

Thanks for the pics snowjunky, they were remarkable!

mmmmmm, yummy......

Yasuhiro Sonoda, a Japanese MP and parliamentary spokesman for the cabinet office, drank water not normally intended for human consumption after it was scooped up from gathered pools inside Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

The politician was visibly nervous as he gulped the water from a glass with shaking hands in a televised press conference in a bid to highlight government confidence in the efficiency of its decontamination procedures.

Collected from beneath two reactor buildings at the plant, the water is decontaminated before being used for tasks such as watering plants, a controversial procedure which has been the subject of safety concerns in the media.

Before drinking the water, Mr Sonoda read out a string of figures relating to its low contamination levels and explained he was drinking in response to journalists repeatedly asking him to “prove” the safety of the plant’s surrounding area.

Speaking at the headquarter offices of Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), operators of the plant, he added: “Just drinking (decontaminated water) doesn’t mean safety has been confirmed, I know that. Presenting data to the public is the best way.”