Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Don't worry, Metabo.
It's completely safe and nothing to worry about!

Excellent! thumbsup

Quote:
Hope that puts you at ease.
wink

That, and all the Tohoku sake I've been buying helps too.
(Least I can do.)
cheers

This doesn't sound like the best thing to hear:

æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§èµ·ããŸåœ°æ®»å¤‰å‹•ã®å½±éŸ¿ã§ã€é¦–都åœã®åºƒã„範囲ã®åœ°ç›¤ã«åŠ›ãŒåŠ ã‚ã‚Šã€åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚„ã™ã„状態ã«ãªã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã¨ã®è§£æžçµæžœã‚’ã€æ±äº¬å¤§åœ°éœ‡ç ”究所ã®ã‚°ãƒ«ãƒ¼ãƒ—ãŒï¼’ï¼’æ—¥ã€ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

解æžçµæžœã¯ã€å¤§éœ‡ç½å¾Œã«ç™ºç”Ÿã—ãŸåœ°éœ‡ã®åˆ†å¸ƒã¨ã‚‚ã»ã¼ä¸€è‡´ã—ã¦ã„る。åŒç ”究所ã§ã¯ã€å›½ã®åœ°éœ‡èª¿æŸ»å§”員会ãŒä»Šå¾Œï¼“ï¼å¹´é–“ã«ï¼—ï¼ï¼…ã®ç¢ºçŽ‡ã§èµ·ãã‚‹ã¨äºˆæ¸¬ã—ã¦ã„るマグニãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼—ç´šã®å—é–¢æ±ã®åœ°éœ‡ãŒèª˜ç™ºã•ã‚Œã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã¨ã—ã¦ã€æ³¨æ„を呼ã³ã‹ã‘ã¦ã„る。

åŒç ”究所ã®çŸ³è¾ºå²³ç”·ãƒ»ç‰¹ä»»ç ”究員らã¯ã€é¦–都åœã§éŽåŽ»ï¼’4年間ã«èµ·ããŸç´„3万ã®åœ°éœ‡ã§ç ´å£Šã•ã‚ŒãŸé ˜åŸŸãŒã€æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§ã©ã®ã‚ˆã†ãªå½±éŸ¿ã‚’å—ã‘ã‚‹ã‹ã‚’解æžã—ãŸã€‚ãã®çµæžœã€åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚„ã™ããªã‚‹åŠ›ãŒåƒã領域ã¯ç´„1万7ï¼ï¼ï¼ã§ã€èµ·ãã«ãããªã‚‹é ˜åŸŸã®ç´„ï¼—ï¼ï¼ï¼ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚多ã„ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ†ã‹ã£ãŸã€‚

震æºãŒï¼“ï¼ã‚­ãƒ­ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚æµ…ã„地震ã¯ä¼Šè±†ãƒ»ç®±æ ¹ã‚’å«ã‚€é™å²¡çœŒæ±éƒ¨ã‹ã‚‰ç¥žå¥ˆå·çœŒè¥¿éƒ¨ã§ã€ï¼“ï¼ã‚­ãƒ­ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚æ·±ã„地震ã¯èŒ¨åŸŽçœŒå—西部ã€ãŠã‚ˆã³æ±äº¬æ¹¾åŒ—部ã‹ã‚‰éŠšå­ã«è‡³ã‚‹ç¯„囲ã§èµ·ãã‚„ã™ããªã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ¤æ˜Žã—ãŸã€‚

Basically saying earthquakes in Tokyo region more likely??

Anyone fill in the blanks?

Basically the recently earthquake has apparently lodged a bit of frustrated underneath tokyo that may cause future earthquakes, but noone knows if or when something will happen.

All I care about in regards to the reactor is them getting the radiation leak reduced or stopped before the winds change in autumn / winter.

It doesn't seem to be implying "the big one" or anything like that. Just that some points are more likely to go than others after the mega Tohoku one.

Good to hear that Metabo. friend

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Basically the recently earthquake has apparently lodged a bit of frustrated underneath tokyo that may cause future earthquakes, but noone knows if or when something will happen.

All I care about in regards to the reactor is them getting the radiation leak reduced or stopped before the winds change in autumn / winter.

yeah thats my main concern as well. For us lying to the south of Fukushima, its come at a time when the winds are prevalent from the south, bringing the warmer weather, so giving us a measure of protection against the radiation (still not good for those to the North or in Fukushima), but if its still leaking come autumn when the winter weather patterns start to take hold then it will be a big concern for this area of Kanto.

Metabo, what's the latest news with the Reactors, I've kinda stopped watching the news cause it was depressing the shit outta me.
Quote:
Pope Benedict XVI has made history as the first pontiff to take part in a televised question-and-answer session.

Seven questions were chosen from thousands submitted for the Pope to answer during the 80-minute programme.

The first question was asked by a seven-year-old Japanese girl traumatised by the recent devastating earthquake and tsunami.

She asked why she and other children should have to feel afraid. The Pope replied that he had also asked himself the same question.

"We do not have the answers but we know that Jesus suffered as you do," he said.

I am sure the little girl felt much better knowing that Jesus had suffered.
Originally Posted By: oblivion

æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§èµ·ããŸåœ°æ®»å¤‰å‹•ã®å½±éŸ¿ã§ã€é¦–都åœã®åºƒã„範囲ã®åœ°ç›¤ã«åŠ›ãŒåŠ ã‚ã‚Šã€åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚„ã™ã„状態ã«ãªã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã¨ã®è§£æžçµæžœã‚’ã€æ±äº¬å¤§åœ°éœ‡ç ”究所ã®ã‚°ãƒ«ãƒ¼ãƒ—ãŒï¼’ï¼’æ—¥ã€ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

解æžçµæžœã¯ã€å¤§éœ‡ç½å¾Œã«ç™ºç”Ÿã—ãŸåœ°éœ‡ã®åˆ†å¸ƒã¨ã‚‚ã»ã¼ä¸€è‡´ã—ã¦ã„る。åŒç ”究所ã§ã¯ã€å›½ã®åœ°éœ‡èª¿æŸ»å§”員会ãŒä»Šå¾Œï¼“ï¼å¹´é–“ã«ï¼—ï¼ï¼…ã®ç¢ºçŽ‡ã§èµ·ãã‚‹ã¨äºˆæ¸¬ã—ã¦ã„るマグニãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼—ç´šã®å—é–¢æ±ã®åœ°éœ‡ãŒèª˜ç™ºã•ã‚Œã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã¨ã—ã¦ã€æ³¨æ„を呼ã³ã‹ã‘ã¦ã„る。

åŒç ”究所ã®çŸ³è¾ºå²³ç”·ãƒ»ç‰¹ä»»ç ”究員らã¯ã€é¦–都åœã§éŽåŽ»ï¼’4年間ã«èµ·ããŸç´„3万ã®åœ°éœ‡ã§ç ´å£Šã•ã‚ŒãŸé ˜åŸŸãŒã€æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§ã©ã®ã‚ˆã†ãªå½±éŸ¿ã‚’å—ã‘ã‚‹ã‹ã‚’解æžã—ãŸã€‚ãã®çµæžœã€åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚„ã™ããªã‚‹åŠ›ãŒåƒã領域ã¯ç´„1万7ï¼ï¼ï¼ã§ã€èµ·ãã«ãããªã‚‹é ˜åŸŸã®ç´„ï¼—ï¼ï¼ï¼ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚多ã„ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ†ã‹ã£ãŸã€‚

震æºãŒï¼“ï¼ã‚­ãƒ­ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚æµ…ã„地震ã¯ä¼Šè±†ãƒ»ç®±æ ¹ã‚’å«ã‚€é™å²¡çœŒæ±éƒ¨ã‹ã‚‰ç¥žå¥ˆå·çœŒè¥¿éƒ¨ã§ã€ï¼“ï¼ã‚­ãƒ­ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚æ·±ã„地震ã¯èŒ¨åŸŽçœŒå—西部ã€ãŠã‚ˆã³æ±äº¬æ¹¾åŒ—部ã‹ã‚‰éŠšå­ã«è‡³ã‚‹ç¯„囲ã§èµ·ãã‚„ã™ããªã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã“ã¨ãŒåˆ¤æ˜Žã—ãŸã€‚

I saw that on Yomiuri this morning.
In fact, they have changed the headline for the exact same article to:

首都åœåœ°ç›¤ã«åŠ›ã€å—é–¢æ±ã®ï¼­ï¼—級誘発も…æ±å¤§ç ”
Oh good. wink
Quote:
A Japanese girl asked the pope, who, she said, "speaks with God", why she was having to suffer so much as a result of the earthquake and tsunami that had struck her country.

"I am very frightened because the house where I felt safe really shook a lot and many children my age have died. I cannot go to play in the park. I want to know: why do I have to be so afraid? Why do children have to be so sad?" said seven-year-old Elena.

Benedict admitted: "I also have the same questions: why is it this way? Why do you have to suffer so much while others live in ease?

"And we do not have the answers, but we know that Jesus suffered as you do, an innocent, and that the true God who is revealed in Jesus is by your side."

Whether Elena was satisfied with that answer was unclear. But the studio audience gave the pope a hearty round of applause.

That response certainly deserved a heary round of applause, don't you think?

Here's what the Todai dudes say how things have changed since march 11th.

Darker means "increased chance of earthquake"

Middle gray means "no change"

White means no data

20110423-562628-1-L.jpg

I'm in no change area but very close to 2 increased risk areas.......so I have a chance of being in an earthquake.....thanks for the insight students!! wink Go get a real job soap dodgers!! biggrin

Why the cynicism? confused

They are not a bunch of students, but the Earthquake Research Institute of the University of Tokyo, one of the top earthquake research centres from what I can tell - and this report is simply based on their research to show how the pressures have changed in different areas. I'm sure that simple image is just the 'headline'.

And considering the same earthquake techs also said that a magnitude 9 on that part of the pacific player wouldn't happen, doesn't instill me much confidence with their abilites in a science that is pure speculation. As of yet, there is still no system that can accurately predict earthquakes, only using supposed cycles past on past occasions.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Why the cynicism? confused

They are not a bunch of students, but the Earthquake Research Institute of the University of Tokyo, one of the top earthquake research centres from what I can tell - and this report is simply based on their research to show how the pressures have changed in different areas. I'm sure that simple image is just the 'headline'.

I was just being flippant and I figured that they weren't the students

Well, predicting an earthquake and doing research to say that pressures or whatever you call them under ground in certain regions are more than others etc are quite different things.

The latter isn't actually pure speculation is it.