Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Not in the middle of it but certainly on the outskirts.

But only now do am I sorting of getting to know how you felt in that Niigata one, Niigata dudes.

sadface

Easily the worst month of my life.

I have hardly had much sleep, not keen on going upstairs to bed, and the thought of these aftershocks continuing more just makes me want to get out of this place.

If I were to do that I would need to sort out a lot of things so can't just really get on a plane but I am giving the leaving thing some real serious thought.

Every strong quake pushes me a bit closer.

If I could easily do it, I think I'd get out of Japan for a month. Clear the head, give time for things to hopefully calm down a bit more, recharge.

Unfortunately, I can't really do that without quitting my job, so going to have to keep on keeping on.

Strong shaking here in Niigata that one this morning.

I could tell it was closer, the east coast quakes wobbles are more like being on the sea, this was more violent and 'felt closer' somehow.

Oh how we are becoming the experts. wink

Originally Posted By: fukdane
On CNN just now, some earthquake lass explaining that aftershocks from this can literally go on for years.

She said that due to the mag 9 size of the original, we can expect]

1 mag 8 aftershock (none yet)
10 mag 7 aftershocks (3 so far)
100 mag 6 aftershocks
1000 mag 5 aftershocks
10000 mag 4 aftershocks

...so what we have had is "just the beginning".
Belt up boys and girls!

Don't shout at me, that's just what they said.

Hmmm/ don't like the sound of that.
A mag 8 would be pretty goddam major in itself.
Originally Posted By: norcal
We will all be certified Geologists by the time it's all over, lol. Wonder if we get college credits for this? haha razz

A double major of geology AND nuclear physics. lol Add that to my oceanography honors degree.... all this crap happening around us certainly is making me "certifiable". shifty

Looks like nuclear situation has been level-upped to Level 7, same as Chernobyl.

I thought things were supposed to have been getting somewhat settled with no chance of big leakage? confused

経済産業çœåŽŸå­åŠ›å®‰å…¨ãƒ»ä¿å®‰é™¢ã¯ï¼‘ï¼’æ—¥ã€æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ç¦å³¶ç¬¬ä¸€åŽŸå­åŠ›ç™ºé›»æ‰€ã®äº‹æ•…ã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã€åŽŸç™ºäº‹æ•…ã®æ·±åˆ»åº¦ã‚’示ã™ã€Œå›½éš›åŽŸå­åŠ›äº‹è±¡è©•ä¾¡å°ºåº¦ï¼ˆï¼©ï¼®ï¼¥ï¼³ï¼‰ã€ã‚’最悪ã®ã€Œãƒ¬ãƒ™ãƒ«ï¼—ã€ã«å¼•ã上ã’ã‚‹ã¨ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

ã“ã‚Œã¾ã§ã«æ”¾å‡ºã•ã‚ŒãŸæ”¾å°„性物質ã®é‡ã‚’1~3å·æ©Ÿã®åŽŸå­ç‚‰åœ§åŠ›ãªã©ã‹ã‚‰è¨ˆç®—ã—ãŸçµæžœã€ã€Œï¼—ã€ã«ç›¸å½“ã™ã‚‹ã€Œæ•°ä¸‡ãƒ†ãƒ©ãƒ»ãƒ™ã‚¯ãƒ¬ãƒ«ä»¥ä¸Šï¼ˆãƒ†ãƒ©ã¯ï¼‘å…†å€ã‚’示ã™å˜ä½ï¼‰ã€ã«é”ã—ãŸãŸã‚ã ã€‚

「7ã€ã¯ï¼ï½žï¼—ã®ï¼˜æ®µéšŽã«åˆ†ã‹ã‚Œã‚‹ï¼©ï¼®ï¼¥ï¼³ã§æœ€é«˜ãƒ¬ãƒ™ãƒ«ã®ã€Œæ·±åˆ»ãªäº‹æ•…ã€ã«ç›¸å½“ã—ã€å›½å†…ã§ã¯åˆã€‚éŽåŽ»ã«ã¯ï¼‘986年ã«æ—§ã‚½é€£ã§èµ·ããŸãƒã‚§ãƒ«ãƒŽãƒ–イリ原発事故ãŒãƒ¬ãƒ™ãƒ«ï¼—ã«åŒºåˆ†ã•ã‚Œã¦ã„ã‚‹ãŒã€ä¿å®‰é™¢ã®æŽ¨è¨ˆã«ã‚ˆã‚‹ã¨ã€æ”¾å°„性物質ã®æ”¾å‡ºé‡ã¯ãƒã‚§ãƒ«ãƒŽãƒ–イリã®ï¼‘ï¼åˆ†ã®ï¼‘程度ã ã£ãŸã€‚

ä¿å®‰é™¢ã¯ï¼“月18日ã€ç¦å³¶ç¬¬ä¸€åŽŸç™ºäº‹æ•…ã®æš«å®šè©•ä¾¡ã‚’ã€æŽ¨å®šã•ã‚Œã‚‹ç‚‰å¿ƒã®æå‚·ãªã©ã‚’ã‚‚ã¨ã«ã€ç±³ã‚¹ãƒªãƒ¼ãƒžã‚¤ãƒ«å³¶åŽŸç™ºäº‹æ•…(79年)ã¨åŒã˜ã€Œãƒ¬ãƒ™ãƒ«ï¼•ã€ã«ä½ç½®ä»˜ã‘ã¦ã„ãŸã€‚周辺環境ã«æ”¾å‡ºã•ã‚ŒãŸæ”¾å°„性物質ã®é‡ã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã¯ã€å†…閣府原å­åŠ›å®‰å…¨å§”員会ãŒã€ï¼“月12~24日ã«å¤§æ°—ã«æ”¾å‡ºã•ã‚ŒãŸæ”¾å°„性ヨウ素131ã®é‡ã‚’約3万テラ・ベクレルã¨è©¦ç®—ã€ã•ã‚‰ã«ï¼‘1日ã€ã“ã‚Œã¾ã§ã«æ•°ä¸‡ï½žå数万テラ・ベクレルã«é”ã™ã‚‹ã¨å…¬è¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

ã“れらã®çµæžœã«åŠ ãˆã€åºƒã„範囲ã§äººã€…ã®ç”Ÿæ´»ã«å½±éŸ¿ã‚’与ãˆã¦ã„ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã‚‚考慮ã—ã€ä¿å®‰é™¢ã¯ãƒ¬ãƒ™ãƒ«ï¼—ã¸ã®å¼•ã上ã’を決ã‚ãŸã€‚

Top news again:

Japanese authorities have raised the measure of severity of their nuclear crisis to the highest level, officials say.

The decision was taken due to radiation measured at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi power plant, NHK reported.

The highest level for nuclear accidents (seven) had previously only applied to the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

Meanwhile a 6.3-magnitude earthquake was reported off eastern Japan, the second tremor in as many days.

The aftershocks come a month after a huge quake and tsunami hit Japan, leaving nearly 28,000 dead or missing.

An official from the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan announced that the crisis level at the Fukushima Daiichi plant was being raised in a televised statement, adding that it was a preliminary assessment that was subject to confirmation by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

The level seven signifies a "major accident" with "wider consequences" than the previous level, officials say.

"We have upgraded the severity level to seven as the impact of radiation leaks has been widespread from the air, vegetables, tap water and the ocean," said Minoru Oogoda of Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (Nisa), the government's nuclear watchdog.

One official from the Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco), which operates the nuclear plant, said that radiation leaks had not stopped completely and could eventually exceed those at Chernobyl, Reuters news agency reported.

The severity level of Japan's nuclear crisis has so far been set at five, the same as that of the accident at Three Mile Island in the US in 1979.

Japan has also said it is extending the evacuation zone around the crippled nuclear plant because of radiation concerns.

The zone will be widened to encompass five communities beyond the existing 20-km (12-mile) radius, following new data about accumulated radiation levels, officials said.

Japan's nuclear commission said that according to preliminary results, the cumulative level of external radiation exceeded the yearly limit of 1 millisieverts in areas extending more than 60 kms (36 miles) to the north-west of the plant and about 40 km to the south-southwest.

This is going to be great for tourism - "on par with Chernobyl".

Quote:
Japan has raised the severity of the crisis at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant to 7 - the highest level on an international scale, and equal to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster in the former Soviet Union, in a move that indicates the disaster was far worse than the government or the plant’s owner, Tepco, admitted at the time.

The Nuclear and Industry Safety Agency said the Japanese government had decided to raise the level to 7 from its current level of 5, Kyodo News reported today. The decision was made after the Nuclear Safety Commission released a calcuation which showed that the plant had been releasing up to 10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour after the earthquake and tsunami hit northeastern Japan on March 11.