Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

BBC News just said that there has been some announcement that the chance of a big release of radiation has reduced dramatically, or something along those lines. Where's that in all the media? Too positive perhaps?

confused

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

It would.

Not experiencing any of the wobbles down here, it's hard to imagine how bad it has been for you guys up in Tohoku. Thoughts with you.

Living in Kobe though, lots of reminders. Fingers crossed things calm down from now.

Thing with jobs opening up might take a bit of time.

From what I gather some schools have seen a drop in the number of students learning as well, in this region anyway, with more important things to look after right at the moment. So the drop in teachers might not be an urgent thing to replace.

Quote:
PM Naoto Kan has thanked people around the world for their support.

In an open letter carried in seven newspapers around the world, he said that the support had brought hope and inspired courage at a desperate time.

"Through our own efforts and with the help of the global community, Japan will recover and come back even stronger. We will then repay you for your generous aid," he wrote.

"With this in our hearts, we now stand together dedicated to rebuilding the nation."

Here's the message in full:

Kizuna

- The Bonds of Friendship -

One month has passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake, which caused over 13,000 people to lose their lives in the enormous earthquake and tsunamis that struck. Even now, over 14,000 people remain unaccounted for, and about 150,000 people remain forced to take shelter as evacuees. I extend my heartfelt sympathy to all the people who have suffered as a result of this disaster, both Japanese nationals and non-Japanese, and to their families.

We are currently mobilizing all resources to bring the situation at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station under stable control and working to stabilize the situation there at the earliest possible time.

This one month since the great earthquake has been an extremely arduous time for Japan. Yet at the same time, it has been a period during which Japan has once again realized, and once again given thanks, that we stand together with the world.

Thus far, over 130 nations and regions, nearly 40 international organizations, a number of nongovernmental organizations and people from all around the globe have extended their best wishes to us, and moreover they have expressed their support and solidarity through donations and other means. Various countries and regions rushed in rescue workers to swiftly conduct rescue operations in the affected areas swiftly and delivered supplies such as food, medical supplies, and blankets. This assistance also brought wholehearted encouragement to the disaster victims. In addition, we have received thousands of origami paper cranes intently folded by children in distant nations wishing for the reconstruction of the disaster-stricken areas.

On behalf of the people of Japan, I extend my heartfelt thanks for such assistance from all around the world.

There is no doubt that Japan will recover, become vibrant again, and become an even more marvelous country. In living up to the cordial encouragement and solidarity extended to us by the international community, I consider walking down the road to such a rebirth to be incumbent upon us, and the best way for Japan to reciprocate your kind concern. It is my firm conviction that through the fundamental strengths inherent to the Japanese people and the cordial cooperation of the international community, we can achieve this without fail.

I am also determined that Japan will certainly repay, through our contributions to the international community, the cordial assistance we have received from around the world.

To that end, I will work to the best of my ability to realize reconstruction of Japan.

On CNN just now, some earthquake lass explaining that aftershocks from this can literally go on for years.

She said that due to the mag 9 size of the original, we can expect]

1 mag 8 aftershock (none yet)

10 mag 7 aftershocks (3 so far)

100 mag 6 aftershocks

1000 mag 5 aftershocks

10000 mag 4 aftershocks

...so what we have had is "just the beginning".

Belt up boys and girls!

Don't shout at me, that's just what they said.