Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
It was looooooooong! I'd just fell over asleep when it started to shake, bugger woke me up. Thankfully those up north didn't get hit by a tsunami again

Yes, like the original one --- not violent here in Niigata but big wobbles and going on for a fair while.

**** off earthquakes. Just **** off.

In terms of frequency they are actually still calming down. Difficult to accept that of course when you get a shindo 6 ripping up Tohoku again. Lets hope that's the last hurrah, so to speak.

Here it is

æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã¯ãƒžã‚°ãƒ‹ãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼ˆï¼­ï¼‰ï¼™ãƒ»ï¼ã®å·¨å¤§åœ°éœ‡ã ã£ãŸã€‚

余震ã¯é€šå¸¸ã€ã ã‚“ã ã‚“ã¨è¦æ¨¡ãŒå°ã•ããªã‚Šã€é–“隔も開ã„ã¦ã„ããŒã€ï¼‘ã‹æœˆè¿‘ããŸã£ã¦ã‹ã‚‰æœ€å¤§ä½™éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚‹ã“ã¨ã‚‚çã—ããªã„。一方ã€æœ€å¤§ä½™éœ‡ã¯æœ¬éœ‡ã‚ˆã‚Šã‚‚マグニãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ãŒï¼‘å‰å¾Œå°ã•ã„ã®ãŒä¸€èˆ¬çš„ã§ã€ï¼­ï¼—ç´šã®ä½™éœ‡ã—ã‹èµ·ãã¦ã„ãªã„æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§ã¯ä»Šå¾Œã€ï¼­ï¼˜ç´šç™ºç”Ÿã®å¯èƒ½æ€§ã‚‚ã‚る。

æ±äº¬å¤§åœ°éœ‡ç ”究所ã®å¤æ‘å­å¿—教授(強震動)ã¯ã€ã€Œï¼­ï¼™ç´šã®åœ°éœ‡ã¯ä¸–界的ã«ã‚‚例ãŒå°‘ãªãã€ç™ºç”Ÿæ©Ÿæ§‹ã«ã¤ã„ã¦ã¯ä¸æ˜Žãªç‚¹ã‚‚多ã„。数ã‹æœˆã‹ã‚‰ï¼‘年後ã«ã€ï¼­ï¼˜ç´šã®æœ€å¤§ä½™éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚‹ã“ã¨ã‚‚å分ã«ã‚ã‚‹ã€ã¨è­¦æˆ’を呼ã³ã‹ã‘ã¦ã„る。

On the flight back earlier this week, one of the steward guys told me the delay before taking off was that they were at the moment putting more fuel into the plane every day "just in case" something happens before we land at Tokyo. Felt a bit strange when he said that!

Something like the one last night, I suppose.

Yes that was another strong one last night.

Lots of people still without electricity etc, I was lucky I think.

Not keen on the idea of a M8 close to the land than the original.

sadface

Felt it here too.

In other news:

The important dudes are back to wearing shirt, ties and suits now.

No more WorkMan pale blues for them, oh no.

The Torygraph has this. Bull or not?

As a result of the quake, water leaked out of spent fuel pools at Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant in northeast Japan, although there were no changes in radiation levels outside the complex, according to Tohoku Electric Power, its operators.

The leakages were reported from three reactors at the plant, which was earlier shut down safely after it was hit by a 43-foot tsunami triggered by the March 11 earthquake.

"We detected a small rise in radiation levels inside the reactor buildings, and are trying to find the locations of the leaks,†said an official for Tohoku Electric Power. “We see no change in radiation levels outside the reactor buildings.â€

Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
What's the deal with the bright white light in the background at the beginning, from last nights Sendai

They said on NHK that it was some power plant, shorting.

Huge chunks of entire towns have been found floating in the ocean off Japan after the earthquake and tsunami that devastated the northeast of the country last month.

A 500 mile wide debris field made of up whole houses, cars and furniture has been seen bobbing around the Pacific ocean by members of the US Navy’s 7th fleet, according to the ABC.

Vernon Davis, a naval ensign told the ABC: It’s very challenging to move through these to consider these boats run on propellers and that these fishing nets or other debris can be dangerous to the vessels that are actually trying to do the work,†Ensign Vernon Dennis said. “So getting through some of these obstacles doesn’t make much sense if you are going to actually cause more debris by having your own vessel become stuck in one of these waterways.â€

Capsized ships are also believed to be floating across the Pacific Ocean, potentially blocking shipping channels.

“There was really no way to weather such an event... so there’s ships out there - that are capsized or upside down or resting on their sides... in many cases are blocking the channels that go into these ports,†said Mr Dennis.

Over 200,000 buildings which were washed out to sea by the tsunami, ahve been swept up by the powerful North Pacific Gyre current which is sweeping the debris toward the US coast at five to 10 mph..

Saw that. Imagine, houses floating over to the US!

--

On the subject of gaijin leaving northern Japan, I'd love to know some real stats. There's the sensational headlines of the first few weeks, and the scoffing at them, but I actually know of a fair few people who have actually left... some not to come back. Just like, had enough. Sure would be interesting?

So, do you know someone who has left?

A few of my friends have left... It seems that one or two of them were sort of waiting for a good excuse to leave anyway... A couple of them had been here for quite a long time too. Leaving for good is probably not an easy decision for most people so I think that judging them for do so is kind of low. That being said, I don't have much respect for those people who have commitments and responsibility here and fled leaving others in the lurch.

Oh I agree Black Mountain, I wasn't out to judge at all.

Just interesting to know what's happening out there. I am thinking there are actually quite a lot more people leaving quietly than first imagined. Based on my friends here and things I have heard from a few more people.

I know a few people who have left Japan and a few more who are in the process of preparing to leave.

After been shook up a few hundred times in the last month, I can't say I blame them. Some of them who really love Japan but made a difficult decision.

It's all very sad.

I'm certainly considering my situation.

Few friends are gone, never to come back.

Some may say it's the result of silly headlines, but I don't think so. The events of the last month have certainly brought some unthinkables to peoples minds.

Like Black Mountain said, one or two may have been looking for a good excuse, but I don't think that's the universal reason.

Wonder how many jobs opened up for foreigners...sounds like alot of people leaving, wouldn't be bad to check out the want ads, might be something nice opened up.