Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Yes just been told that

Quote:
There has been a small earthquake on the Lancashire coast, the British Geological Survey (BGS) has confirmed.

A small earth tremor was felt in the Blackpool area at about 0330 BST, they said.

Lancashire Police said calls had been received from several people saying their property was shaking.

A BGS spokesman said that the 2.2 magnitude tremor was thought to have centred on Poulton-le-Fylde. No damage or injuries have been reported.

A police spokesman said that they confirmed the reports when the force's control room on Bonny Street, Blackpool, began to shake.

Dave Thornton, a gift shop owner from Thornton Cleveleys, was woken up by the quake.

"All my wardrobe doors were rattling and I couldn't work out what it was.

"I went to the window, but everything seemed normal. It was a relief to be honest to learn that it was a quake because at least I know there's nothing wrong with my house.

"I'm about to go to my shop where we've got quite a lot of fragile items on shelves and it will be interesting to see if anything there has been damaged," he said.

Apparently no tsunami damage. Though I am worried about the nuclear reactors at Sellafield to the north.

Folks, next time there's a 2.2 tremblor in Japan, make sure you call the Police to tell them that your property was shaking!

lol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Quote:
I'm about to go to my shop where we've got quite a lot of fragile items on shelves and it will be interesting to see if anything there has been damaged," he said.

I do hope they follow up on this tense situation. We need to know if his fragile items will have survived the 2.2 mega-rattler.
I suggest people avoid Blackpool for at least 2 years.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
wow!! Thats the first sportsman I've ever seen doing this!1 well done Ryo clap

When you think of disasters from the developed world, the New Orleans one for example, I've yet to hear to a highly paid sportsman do something as self less as this. Think of the money that could've been raised if a top NFL or NBA star had donated his years wages to the Katrina clean up

New Orleans put a bunch of money into fixing their stadium instead of using it for the town. Then they put all their faith into a football team to 'uplift' the spirit. They all stood their with their hands out while looting and complaining the whole time.

Then again, it was mostly the slums that got it, so it was to be expected. Not 100% on them though, the gov't wasn't the best in the response either. But.....they did tell them to evacuate, waaaaay in advance.

Anyway /end rant, sorry about that. I hate how my country tries to rally behind Katrina, especially when they relate the football team to it. Makes no sense.

Haha, actually I suggest that people avoid Blackpool forever.

Though there are a few fine fish and chip shops there, and of course The Big One. (Different Big One to the Tokyo one).

Norcal, I only used New Orleans as an example cos I couldn't think of another disaster in a country that has over-paid sport stars. (The UK hasn't had a natural disaster yet)

Tubby I wasn't attacking you...lol, just get revved up whenever I hear about N.O. or the hurricane, haha. Sorry if it sounded that way!

Well, you know, fair enough earthquakes almost never happen in England and so even a little shaky one like this will be 'newsworthy', especially if there are lots of fragile items on shelves.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads

I suggest people avoid Blackpool for at least 2 years.

Liverpool Football Club will be first in the queue!
Originally Posted By: Queen of Chiba
Been a very rough few weeks for us here in north Chiba.
Another strong one today that apparently wasn't actually an aftershock.
I wish it would calm down.
sadface

Don't we all?

Obviously.

Some are more affected than others of course.

I can't imagine how I woud feel with many every day.

Still over 50 a day by the looks, most smaller of course but still nerve-wracking I would have thought.

The change in wind direction doesn't look good for Tokyo:

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/trajectory/fukushima/trajectory_e.shtml

The Iodine-131 level reaching Hong Kong is interesting:

http://www.hko.gov.hk/radiation/ermp/rmn/applet/map/iodine131_e.htm

It went up quite a bit lately. The dangerous level, they say, is 661.38 Bq/m3 - highest on the chart is 828 µBq/m3

Danger:

661.38 Bq/m3 - or - 661,380,000 µBq/m3

Highest in Hong Kong so far:

828.00 µBq/m3 - or - 0.000828 Bq/m3

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Thank god I am not 50m tall then. biggrin

And also did you even look at the map? It's going round to Chiba, and then Shizuoka. wink

Nope, I don't know were Chiba and Shizuoka is. Just think that the change in wind direction is not really a good development.

In a startling follow up to the Blackpool earthquake catastrophe. The massive tsunami took it's time (a few days) but eventually hit Blackpool where it hits hardest.

Foreign embassies are advising people to avoid the English west coast for 2 years. (And recommending their countries as an alternative).

Quote:
Crowds see man, 44, swept out to sea in Blackpool

A man drowned in front of horrified crowds at one of Britain’s busiest resorts yesterday after being swept into the sea by a large wave.

The 44-year-old had gone down steps close to the water’s edge by the promenade in Blackpool when he was dragged into the rough sea.

Witnesses – unable to enter the water because of the dangerous conditions – called the coastguard. An RAF helicopter was also scrambled to the scene just before lunchtime.