Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

I offered lots of solutions earlier on in this thread.

My favourite being a big dome to put over the top of it all.

Nice and shiny.

They have done that in movies I have seen, so it must work.

I believe they have done something like that on The Simpsons too.

Only then would all the good guys be able to spontaneously cheer, high-five, light cigars and listen to the accompanying dramatic music.

I'm sure it would work and I can't for the life of me think why this has not yet been implemented.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

now that there is no current death and destruction, the Aus media have indeed gone off it. Charlie Sheen is no longer winning and it seems that the folks in the middle east are bombing each other again / still.

No news on Japan of any substance in the last few days. I actually log on here to get the latest.

There's still lots of aftershocks, some quite large and wide.

Strange I haven't been seen much updates on the Fukushima situation, that seems to be slowing down in terms of info.

Hard to imagine what it must be like having your home, your town, totally destroyed in an instant like that. And family/friends killed. I was reading some towns have had their records wiped out too, so there's not backup records of the people who lived there.

Nightmare, must be totally overwhelming. All the more remarkable the way people are coping. Respect.

I am using Japan Today for latest info, but they release a story usually only twice a day or so about Fukushima recently.

I think Kyodo has more frequent updates if you are into finding needles in haystacks.

I check the IAEA website for the latest on whats happening up there.

Anybody in Blackout mode just now? I'm meant to be but seems they've spared me.....JUST!! 1 street over toward sthe station and then across to the south side is all out. Was out looking to see if there were any restaurants staying open and found my fave Indian restaurant more than willing to stay open without electricity! Had a nice curry meal by candle light.....nice n romantic for me and my good lady!! smile

console

Round these parts, shops are getting quite bare. Bread, milk, that kind of thing becoming harder to come by. Not selling veggies from Fukushima, Ibarak, Saitama, Gunma. Gasoline limited as well. Evenings darker than usual as people save electricity.

Far from normal feeling.

Yep like that here as far as darkness goes, certainly darker here as a lot of street lights are off all the time, not that we have many street lights around here to start with, and houses look really dark, very few lights on.

Shops here are holding out reasonably but to get bread or milk you have to get to the shop firsth thing in the morning otherwise by lunch most if not all has gone.

Petrol is like I said the other day varies a lot from garage to garage.

Originally Posted By: griller
Kyodo posted some utter bullshit during those first 4-5 days.
I would not try to find any needles there.

Compared to what other news outputs? The Sun, The Daily Mail, CNN, BBC, Fox? News agencies that actually admitted to sending people over without being able to speak a word of Japanese and then not being able to understand what is going on. Sensationalist headlines that have proclaimed Armageddon is coming.

Compared to those, Kyodo have been one of the most reliable, and accurate news outlets throughout the whole period.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I check the IAEA website for the latest on whats happening up there.

The IAEA has been good, even posting notes on their facebook page. The problem with that is that there have been "experts" posting on their, proclaiming what the Japanese guys are doing is wrong and everyone is going to die like in Chernobyl. Stopped reading them after that.

I would like to know. We have donated money BUT where and how can we help out by sending food to these affected areas. Surely in Japan places shouldn't be running out of food. We would also like to get together blankets - clothes and toys for displaced children. BUT WHERE DO WE SEND IT!!!!

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I would like to know. We have donated money BUT where and how can we help out by sending food to these affected areas. Surely in Japan places shouldn't be running out of food. We would also like to get together blankets - clothes and toys for displaced children. BUT WHERE DO WE SEND IT!!!!

You can contact a few places to ask those questions:

Nearest JP consulate/embassy
Red Cross
Médecins Sans Frontières
Oxfam

I don't think they want any direct food donation though, I am pretty sure that will be rejected. Make sure there is really a need for what you have.

Blankets, nappies, womens sanitary towels. A word of warning though I read that they are only accepting new blankets and clothing, not 2nd hand. Think its to try ad stop any secondary infection/infestations that MAY occur as a result of used clothing and bedding

Yes everything must be new, and all bags must have LV logo on the side.

Jesus, lets get with the program. I heard stories of people not having a bath for a week, freezing every night. Let's just get them the essentials and stop this stupid pickiness.

Originally Posted By: bobby12

Jesus, lets get with the program. I heard stories of people not having a bath for a week, freezing every night. Let's just get them the essentials and stop this stupid pickiness.

While that is true, people do need warm items, sending items that may have lice or infestations is not the best thing to do is it? confused

The last thing they need right now, is an outbreak of some diseases that they do not have medication or means to treat. It's not a case of being picky, it's a case of trying to reduce contaminates and external variables that they can't control.
Originally Posted By: bobby12

Bobby....I'M not the one saying these things, this is what the organisations collecting them are saying. No one would knowingly deliver soiled items but they have to be prudent or it would just be another thing to tackle in difficult circumstances