Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

"Have seen that many supermarkets are restricting essential purchases to one item per person, ie one loaf of bread per person."

Well this seems like the sensible answer to the hoarding that apparantly is happening in Tokyo.

Funny thing is more hoarding seems to be gong on in asia, all these stories of people hoarding the dodgy chinese salt that is full of iodine! lol

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Do you guys know many people that have fled Japan?

Loads of families have left from my kids school, I am worried if the school will even be able to survive the next year or so. Hopefully non of the teachers have gone.

Basically all the families without a Japanese parent have left. A lot of them went for a month temporarily but many of them have just said its like the straw that broke the camels back, ie. they have been thinking to move back anyway for a while and this was the trigger to force them into a decision.

They all in Hyogo as well , bobby?? confused

Not that many gaijin round here that I know other than toka, the sj people and sanjo and joshnii to the north. None of them fleeing, tokabochi just going back for a bit to calm family down and get out for a short while.

Heaps of seasonal staff have fled Niseko bringing about the early closure of many restaurants and other businesses. Many were scheduled to go within a couple of weeks anyway and plenty probably were going to get little work due to all the customers cancelling. Still I reckon to leave Niseko because of fears from the reactors is incredibly stupid. More than stupid really considering you'll receive far more radiation on the flight home than we're ever likely to experience up here from the troubles down south. But as we all know rational decision making has basically been thrown out the window recently.

Originally Posted By: echineko
Originally Posted By: echineko
Is everyone ok?

Some of my friends in Iwate not found yet.

sadface

One of my friend has been found dead.
Other still not found.

I'm so sad and emotional right now, I never felt like this before.
sadface

I am so sorry to hear that news Echi sadface
console ((((HUGS))))

All these fairweather friends with their fancy packages and foreigner-bubble-lifestyle they live in who flee at the first sign of clouds in paradise..... good riddens, I say. I'm sure there will be other people to take their place. It might hurt in the short term, and obviously not the best way for something to happen, but a shake up with that scene may be a good thing.

A lot of people have come under extreme pressure from their families to leave. The fear being generated in other countries has fuelled irrational demands by many for relatives in Japan to leave. I was chatting to a couple of expats from Hong Kong last night who decided to still come here even after the incidents down south. They were getting mail on their phones constantly from family concerned about their welfare. One guy told me his brother rings him daily to abuse him for taking such a big risk and making the family worry so much. The fear machine that is the western media really has caused even usually rational people to completely lose it.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
A lot of people have come under extreme pressure from their families to leave. The fear being generated in other countries has fuelled irrational demands by many for relatives in Japan to leave. I was chatting to a couple of expats from Hong Kong last night who decided to still come here even after the incidents down south. They were getting mail on their phones constantly from family concerned about their welfare. One guy told me his brother rings him daily to abuse him for taking such a big risk and making the family worry so much. The fear machine that is the western media really has caused even usually rational people to completely lose it.

And I understand that GN.

I got my son home just over a week before the EQ.
I have repeatedly said that if he was still there I would have got on a plane and flown over to get him. I know Niseko is safe - but my boy is 17. I would worry about further EQs now that the plates are having a big grumble. I would worry about shortages. I would worry that my little gaij traveler is taking resources that could better be used by people in the disaster zone.

But if it were just me in the country - I would probably be looking for ways to help. Kids change the way you react. I don't blame people for leaving, either permanently or temporarily. Practically speaking by leaving they are no longer consuming the limited electricity, or guzzling the limited fuel, or using the limited rolls of loo paper (Tubby did you find some yet?). It is probably for the best.
Originally Posted By: griller
All these fairweather friends with their fancy packages and foreigner-bubble-lifestyle they live in who flee at the first sign of clouds in paradise..... good riddens, I say. I'm sure there will be other people to take their place. It might hurt in the short term, and obviously not the best way for something to happen, but a shake up with that scene may be a good thing.

I tend to agree with you on that one griller. I can't imagine home strange it would be to live in a place that I had no connection to and could flee so easily. It's kind of sad actually.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

And I understand that GN.

I got my son home just over a week before the EQ.
I have repeatedly said that if he was still there I would have got on a plane and flown over to get him. I know Niseko is safe - but my boy is 17. I would worry about further EQs now that the plates are having a big grumble. I would worry about shortages. I would worry that my little gaij traveler is taking resources that could better be used by people in the disaster zone.

But if it were just me in the country - I would probably be looking for ways to help. Kids change the way you react. I don't blame people for leaving, either permanently or temporarily. Practically speaking by leaving they are no longer consuming the limited electricity, or guzzling the limited fuel, or using the limited rolls of loo paper (Tubby did you find some yet?). It is probably for the best.

None of the issues you raise are issues being experienced in Hokakido though MB. We have no shortages of anything up here. If people really want to help Japan they should continue to support it through tourism in unaffected areas like Hokkaido.
Still I reckon to leave Niseko because of fears from the reactors is incredibly stupid.

Maybe they left for other reasons. Maybe some left to volunteer support? For some I guess it would not feel right to have fun in the snow with tragedy so close.
Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
Still I reckon to leave Niseko because of fears from the reactors is incredibly stupid.

Maybe they left for other reasons. Maybe some left to volunteer support? For some I guess it would not feel right to have fun in the snow with tragedy so close.

Nope, no foreign volunteers from outside areas accepted unless with rescue team.
None of the issues you raise are issues being experienced in Hokakido though MB. We have no shortages of anything up here. If people really want to help Japan they should continue to support it through tourism in unaffected areas like Hokkaido.

I know that GN.
But I would WORRY that that would BECOME the case.

I am putting myself in the position of other families, as irrational as it may seem, it is not the home country of that individual and in times of stress and crisis and worry (real or perceived) people usually want to be home - wherever home is for them - with loved ones.

I am sure those who call Japan "home" are not fleeing en masse.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Too early to tell, perhaps, but just out of interest.... Mamabear, you put off coming yourself again now with all this? How about people you know talking about it?

Totally unrelated to this situation Papabear and I had planned on Europe and the USA for our next NH snow holidays. We have planned on a trip to Europe with some friends (that we have done Niseko with before) for a few yrs now. We have also been honored to receive an invite from a new friend to the soft opening of the snowdome in NJ - and thought if we are going for that we may as well do a USA trip (sightseeing and snow) around that.

It would not stop me booking to come back next year when the immediate pressures are over, but we have made alternate plans already.
Originally Posted By: egglesby
I am thinking of going next week.
Any new snow today GN?

Warm today and tomorrow. Expecting to cool again next week with more snow. Don't expect waist deep stuff next week but should be nice.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: norcal
News just said they found another survivor...9 days later. I hope they still find more!

Sorry, was BS.

link to kyodo

go figure, media making me jump when they say jump, lol. well at least they are still looking smile

Hi folks,

I have a mate who has been booked to go to Japan in May. He isn't a skier or boarder and will not even see the snow.

The media has spooked him and I have encouraged him to still go. His trip is to Tokyo for three days and then down to Kyoto for five days. He has been looking forward to the trip for over a year. The trip isnt for another month yet.

Can any of you local folks tell me is the NEX is running from Narita to Tokyo and the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto?

My theory is, if they are running now, they will be running then. He would need to change his plans in the next week in order to get money back, if he decides not to go.

Sorry to possibly hijack the thread, I couldn't think of where else to put this.

Thanks guys.

Shayne,

A month is a long time in this scenario!

I believe there are interruptions to NEX, but not to the Tokyo-Kyoto Shink (from reports I have read). However I would be very surprised if they dont have everything back up to normal within a month.

He will only be in Tokyo for 3 days - and Kyoto is unaffected. I would say GO.