Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
can someone please explain what I'm looking at on the Geiger counter page? Where is it measuring.....Tokyo? At what level on the graph does it become a concern?

its measuring tokyo, and if I gets to say 1millisievert for over 3days, then time to run.
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

A friend of mine has left Yokohama with everything in his van and is staying down here in Ito. He's ready to start heading south ASAP but I'm not sure yet. My wife and daughter are supposed to be heading back up to Hokkaido on a previously planned trip but aren't leaving until Sunday. A lot can happen by Sunday...or not.

Now, I don't know how much of this is accurate or not BUT...

This friend's (the guy staying with me) wife knows a tech that worked at the Fukushima powerplant for 11 years and this tech was the one advising to get out...get far, far away.

I'm just going to play it by ear.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
it's nearly full moon which is usually worst for aftershocks

MintyNZ, where do you get that from?

Take care!

That would be from Ken Ring, the moon man. He kind of predicted the last earthquake a week or so out and says that there will be another big one on march 20. If there is then I will become a believer and if there isn't I will continue to call moon based weather and earthquake predicting rubbish.
Originally Posted By: Captain Stag

That would be from Ken Ring, the moon man. He kind of predicted the last earthquake a week or so out and says that there will be another big one on march 20. If there is then I will become a believer and if there isn't I will continue to call moon based weather and earthquake predicting rubbish.

Does this mean he was a week out with his prediction or he made it a week before?
Quote:
Mr Ring, who used to read pets' paws for a living, caused nationwide controversy this month when he predicted a massive quake would take place in Christchurch on March 20.
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
A friend of mine has left Yokohama with everything in his van and is staying down here in Ito. He's ready to start heading south ASAP but I'm not sure yet. My wife and daughter are supposed to be heading back up to Hokkaido on a previously planned trip but aren't leaving until Sunday. A lot can happen by Sunday...or not.

Now, I don't know how much of this is accurate or not BUT...
This friend's (the guy staying with me) wife knows a tech that worked at the Fukushima powerplant for 11 years and this tech was the one advising to get out...get far, far away.

I'm just going to play it by ear.

Thinking about doing the same w/the wife & kid. One way ticket shouldn't be too bad, and she can stay w/her parents for a while. Better to play it safe since its an easy move.
He kind of predicted the last earthquake a week or so out

You mean the last NZ earthquake, right? (Not the Japanese one)

The NZ one - the prediction was made 1 week in advance of the earthquake and the one for the 20th is for NZ not Japan. I think if you look he makes all sorts of predictions and he gets a few right by the shear number of predictions made. I'm not ready to believe just yet, I'll stick with traditional science for now, but if there is a big one on the 20th (or even a day either side) I will start paying him more attention. (as will many people I suspect)

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
it's nearly full moon which is usually worst for aftershocks

MintyNZ, where do you get that from?

Take care!

No, I definitely do not believe Ken Ring.
edit: I don't want to believe him. Smug man sitting safely up in Auckland. Anyway I think his prediction is for the alpine fault, which thankfully hasn't gone yet. I'm expecting a few normal sized after shocks on the banks pin fault, which unfortunately is quite near my house (I'm in Woolston), so even if they're just 3's and 4's it will feel like my house is going to fall apart.

However, if you look at the past six months, we have always had aftershocks during the full moon - boxing day was approx full moon - Mr Minty and I asked the cabbie who picked us up when we got back from Japan as it was the Jan full moon time and he said "we had a 5 last night" then in feb we were standing around on the 20th saying "this is weird, the moon is full, no aftershocks yet" then the 22nd happened.

I think it is probably some kind of effect akin to tidal pull - the tectonic plates are all floating on magma
Originally Posted By: CptSlow
Glad to know you're safe Captain stag - does anyone know about Captain slow?

if you mean me? im sweet, in comparison... smile

YAY! How is your knee? I read that you did it in while you were in Japan :(
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
can someone please explain what I'm looking at on the Geiger counter page? Where is it measuring.....Tokyo? At what level on the graph does it become a concern?

its measuring tokyo, and if I gets to say 1millisievert for over 3days, then time to run.

so right now with those constant levels its nothing to worry about....right?

OK so why are fire trucks with big water hoses only now on their way?

I don't get stuff like that. Why on earth weren't they on their way on Saturday? Or Sunday? Or Monday. It's Thursday.

Originally Posted By: @tokyo
OK so why are fire trucks with big water hoses only now on their way?
I don't get stuff like that. Why on earth weren't they on their way on Saturday? Or Sunday? Or Monday. It's Thursday.

Um because they weren't required previously. They are being sent now because because water levels are falling in the spent fuel containment areas. Although it seems the water levels are still well above the level of the spent fuel rods they do not want the rods to become exposed for obvious reasons. Should they have been mobilised earlier? Hard to say. It actually took the hydrogen explosions to blow away the outer walls to reveal the containers that need the water. They are obviously responding to each critical incident in order of priority. Initially it was to get sea water into the cores to attempt preventing total meltdown of the core materials. Now it's cooling the spent fuel containment areas.

I think it unfair to suggest they are ill prepared or lack appropriate planned responses as to be honest this is something no one anyewhere in the world would have been fully prepared for. It's an unprecedented event to have so many reactors go into at least partial meltdown at one time. And this has occurred just after one of the biggest natural disasters imaginable. Transport is severely limited and it's little wonder that resources may have been spread thin.

I await the next thrilling solution when they drop a slightly damp cloth over the reactors. smile This honestly seems more and more like the BP oil capping every day.

Look it's hard to say in the end. I understand that people have legitimate fears but I also believe people have completely irrational fears when it comes to radition. At no time in Tokyo for instance even when the prevailing wind was coming straight out of Fukushima did radiation levels get even within several orders of magnitude of dangerous levels. A simple x-ray would have given you a bigger does of radiation. The situation does not appear to me to have worsened appreciably over the last few days but it also hasn't lessened appreciably. I don't believe there is any reason for anyone to be panicking about radiation levels. Even those in Fukushima prefecture outside of 30km from the reactors. It's still a very contained situation. I don't blame people for wanting to leave but I don't see any reason to myself.