Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

From seeing pics of Hiroshima this year when I visited and seeing the images on TV its an easy comparison to make and quite fair in places where only the substantial concrete buildings remain. Lets not be too hard on BBC/CNN as perhaps the local media is underselling it and somewhere in the middle is correct.

The local media is no way underselling it Pete, there have been plenty of overhead images and video clips of the surrounding areas that have been affected.

As mitch said before, the Japanese media is trying to keep things calm and at some level, accurate. The Western Media are going for the death and destruction angle.

I might have another solution.

They have been talking of this being a bit like a kettle.

Well, once my water boils, it turns off. I can also take out the plug.

I hope they have tried that.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
I might have another solution.

They have been talking of this being a bit like a kettle.

Well, once my water boils, it turns off. I can also take out the plug.

I hope they have tried that.

If they boil it for too long, then the rods are exposed, which react with the water in the air, stripping the oxygen and leaving the hydrogen, which then goes...

kaboom.

wink

Can't they just cover it all with some kind of giant protective cool-looking dome thingy, like they would in the movies?

(Admittedly I haven't thought that theory out in detail)

Sorry man, got two friends proper freaking out about this reactor and every hour, I have to convince them that it is not going to be another chernobyl. And what with the aftershocks we're still having, and the lack of supplies, it's starting to do my head in.

By that, I mean the friends are. Just told them to pack up and go this morning if they want to, as trying to look after two families right now as well.

Some good stories to tell the grand-kids though. wink

Can't they just cover it all with some kind of giant protective cool-looking dome, like they would in the movies?

lol

Hollywood may have one or two spare, get it shipped over!
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Sorry man, got two friends proper freaking out about this reactor and every hour, I have to convince them that it is not going to be another chernobyl. And what with the aftershocks we're still having, and the lack of supplies, it's starting to do my head in.

By that, I mean the friends are. Just told them to pack up and go this morning if they want to, as trying to look after two families right now as well.

Some good stories to tell the grand-kids though. wink

Thinking of you Rob.
You are doing an awesome job.

make sure you look after yourself as well!
Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
Can't they just cover it all with some kind of giant protective cool-looking dome thingy, like they would in the movies?

lol

Hollywood may have one or two spare, get it shipped over!

Could be a cool visual effect, and might cam down the panicked masses - but wont actually DO much. A panacea for the panic?

The containment of the core should be all that is required even in event of a full meltdown - but we are 3 days in now - it should be beginning to cool off somewhat...shouldn't it? Almost time for no more kaboom?

Not sure Mamabear, the ones in the movies always seem pretty effective. Of course, with some sort of drama in the middle.

But they usually end up with highfives and people cheering. Hurray!

audience.gif

I'm a little confused by these 'rolling blackouts'. Not that I mind doing my part and having my power off, but why announce that it will be off in 5 minutes and then nothing? They've cancelled for the 2nd day now. Is there trouble, or they just don't need to shut it down?

Some areas are getting them, for example, my friend in Yokosuka did.

A lot of it norcal depends on the trains and industries, as they are the biggest users. The train services are running a lot less frequently, some at 30% of their daily capacity, which in turn, reduces the need for electricity. This means that the cut is not always needed.

It would be nice if they could all liaise between one another, and come to some sort of agreement, but I guess TEPCO is taking the lead, and the train companies are following.

They are talking about help being officially requested to the US.

What I don't get is why is this being asked now on Tuesday morning. And not on Saturday morning or Sunday morning at the latest. Is this not Quite Important?!

Hysteria aside until they can manage to get the normal cooling circulation working they will have to continually vent steam created from the injection of sea water. One of the big issues currently is that as pressure builds in the core vessel it becomes increasingly difficult to actually get water in. So they must release the pressure to allow more water in. It appears that at least some of the zirconium cladding on the fuel rods has melted and this means some reasonably nasty radioactive isotopes, namely cesium-137 and iodine-131 are getting released with the steam. The iodine decays quite rapidly with a half life of only 8 days and taking iodine tablets greatly reduce health risks if exposed. The cesium on the other hand has a half life of 30 years and if enough is released could pose some reasonably long term environmental issues in close proximity to the reactors.

There really is no chance of a large explosion that would expose the core directly to the atmosphere so there really is no chance that the effects of the radiation will be more widespread than the immediate area around the reactors. Some of the steam being released can of course be carried by the wind but as the wind disperses it the levels of radiation will decrease dramatically within a fairly small distance. This is why there is still only a 20km exclusion zone and this would be erring on the cautious side. So if you are planning on coming to Japan to somewhere 100's of km's away you really do have very little to worry about!

China TV is reporting a 3rd explosion. Not sure if that is up to date.

Igloo I'd be guessing that's it taken a while to ask for you US help due to just understanding the damage/effort required and the history of the US there.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Some areas are getting them, for example, my friend in Yokosuka did.

A lot of it norcal depends on the trains and industries, as they are the biggest users. The train services are running a lot less frequently, some at 30% of their daily capacity, which in turn, reduces the need for electricity. This means that the cut is not always needed.

It would be nice if they could all liaise between one another, and come to some sort of agreement, but I guess TEPCO is taking the lead, and the train companies are following.

good info, thanks. The only thing that was really getting me was the fact that they said it over the town loudspeaker that it would be off in about 15 minutes, then it never did. But now I can see its a last minute descision. Either way, I'm ready smile

Originally Posted By: igloo
They are talking about help being officially requested to the US.

What I don't get is why is this being asked now on Tuesday morning. And not on Saturday morning or Sunday morning at the latest. Is this not Quite Important?!

I mentioned it before, but I was called up on Saturday and told to pack a bag and get ready to head up there. They said prep for 30 days. That afternoon, it was cancelled.

I was really hoping to go up and help find people. Seemed like a waste of time, what I was doing at work. In them military we train for events like this (and war), and its silly to not use it when necessary.

But Japan wasn't asking for direct help, just help refuelling planes, moving cargo, etc. Currently we are housing foreign search & rescue teams & our own on the base. Also doing alot of flight operations as well. Hopefully Japan asks us to step in and join them with everything, that sure would speed things up alot. I know everyone I work with is ready to help.