Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

I read that before too. It was either The Times (I think) or maybe The Guardian.

Unfortunately the former is also posting sometimes sensationalist-like stuff which is disappointing.

quote:

--------------

Japan Earthquake Information - Updated Mar 14, 4:50AM

Scheduled Blackout

There will be a scheduled blackout (power outage) starting the morning of 3/14 in Tokyo, Tochigi, Ibaraki, Gunma, Chiba, Kanagawa, Saitama, Yamanashi, and Shizuoka.

Areas will be divided into 5 groups and each group will experience about 3 hours of power outage.

Please refer to the TEPCO Homepage (as of now, the list is only provided in Japanese) to find out which group you are in and what time the power outage will occur in your group.

Train companies have announced that there will be irregular operation, including out of service hours.

JR | Tokyo Metro | Toei Subway/Bus | Tokyu | Odakyu | Keio | Tobu | Keikyu | Keisei

-------------

unquote

The way that the media is carrying on at the moment is pathetic. Channel 9 (today show in Aus) said they are forecasting another 7 scale earthquake today.... We are forecasting earthquakes now? Not to mention the nuclear disaster bigger than Chernobyl as well... I feel for the people who have family in the effected areas and have nothing but the media to go on.

I am relieved to see the regulars on this forum from Japan who are posting. I am glad you are all safe.

Originally Posted By: tokabochi
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Originally Posted By: griller
Wonder if something like this is true?
Anyone know anyone doing this?

12.52 GMT “An onslaught of relentlessly unsettling television news, fast-emptying supermarket shelves, fuel rationing at petrol stations and a maelstrom of blood-curdling internet rumours has prompted scores of British, American and European families to leave Tokyo,†reports The Times’s Leo Lewis, in the Japanese capital.

A friend of mine is taking his family back to Canada tomorrow for these very fears. He was downtown Tokyo dodging glass and other falling debris during the quake and was pretty freaked so ya...who would I be to say he was overreacting.

Does this guy work?
(Going for good?)
Is it so easy to do that?
I suppose I have stronger and longer links to this place and that is something that would be a very extreme decision.

Well, he kinda works...lol. He owns a couple businesses that pretty much run themselves. With his kind of capital, yes it's easy to just get out. They are planning to move back to Canada later this year and have a house already set up in Canada so it's not that much of an emotional decision.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Have created a thread purely for information for those needing it

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/404748/Earthquake_information_resourc.html

Please contact us if you have information that should be up there and will be of help to people needing it.

Thank you.

I hope everyone is Ok. This has truly shaken Japan to the core. Happone was silent on the weekend and very eerie. Spend most of my time with my family at a time like this they are most important. Stay safe and try not to panic we have to be strong for the people up North. Dont believe all the media for profit they are making millions on this disaster and will try to grab ratings shares.

I didn't feel anything through all of this down here but like in Kobe. So I can relate in that way.

Dreadful.

• SnowJapan Admin

We don't want to stop people posting, but we also don't really want anything and everything - the most crazy rumour driven scary stuff - posted and causing a fuss.

This is a difficult time, please lets try to keep it respectful.

If you have a link to post please email/PM us. Thanks.

Anyway here is something that may be of interest that someone has sent us.

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

Ok this might seam korny but the best way I think I can help is when all is settled down (next season) is to spent my tourist dollar at their resorts, fly their airlines, eat at the local eatery's, stay at their local lodges etc.

and support the japan economy

but that's my two cents

My parents are freaking out about the reactors and wondering why I'm not fleeing Fukushima. Thanks for the link SJ, it was a reassuring read. As soon as we get some fuel and the nuclear situation calms down I wanna take a week off work and go help with the clean up.

Quote:
04.55 GMT Singapore announces that it is to test food imported from Japan for radiation. “As a precautionary measure, AVA (the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore) will monitor Japanese produce based on source and potential risk of contamination,†the food regulator said in a statement.

“Samples will be taken for testing for radiation. Fresh produce will have priority.â€

wakaranai