Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Here's another story.

My ladys family in Niigata were watching TV this afternoon when the TV told them that "a strong earthquake will be with you in a few seconds".... followed by the quake. I'm not sure which is worse - it just happening or having seconds knowing that it is coming!

sadface

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

What a day, hope I never have another like this.

OK physically but very shaken so to speak.

They're talking about this being a series of big earthquakes as they are spread over such a large area.

I found with my experience that... during the initial biggies it is just coming as a complete shock and you just go into 'survival mode'. It's bloody scary but you just have to deal with it there and then and don't have time to dwell on it.

It's all the aftershocks going on and the aftermath in the days and weeks that gets scarier as you are expecting it and you just generally feel unsafe and more tired as you can't trust the ground you are living on. So, anyone in the places that is getting lots of aftershocks, hang in there. Keep trying to think positive!

friend

You beat me to it!

But seriously, this is just terrible stuff.

The death toll seems to be 34 now.

Imagine what something mad powerful RIGHT UNDER a big city would do.

Hardly bears thinking about.

sadface

i think the power got cut off for the nuclear plants so they cannot run the emergency cooling system. afaik.

you would think they would have backup diesel generators. that is just basic.

Tsunami was only 1m at our place so my house is fine. Atami, next town over had 3m. We are in Kofu right now and the Chuo ends here. No one can get to Tokyo. Traffic is impressive. Stay safe.

Quote:
The power used to operate the cooling apparatus in the internal parts of the nuclear plants (Fukushima) has been cut by the earthquake. Attempts were made to start up the emergency power, but it too hasnt worked. The government has made announcements of emergency conditions, and implementing protective measures for locals. There is "no evidence" of radioactivity in the surrounding areas..
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
You beat me to it!

But seriously, this is just terrible stuff.
The death toll seems to be 34 now.

Imagine what something mad powerful RIGHT UNDER a big city would do.
Hardly bears thinking about.

sadface

I am very concerned for this because Salt Lake City where I live lies upon a fault and isn't even close to adequately prepared for an earthquake.

Was very strong here in Yamanashi too, I was outside on my field when it struck and couldn't stand up, had to sit it out!

My wife is stuck in Tokyo tonight because no way to get back to Yamanashi.

I feel for the people near the epicentre that must be super bad for them!

poor old newsreaders, they will be all doing a late shift tonight.

i see the yen took a bit of a dive, i wonder what the economics effects are going to be next week.

i felt it here in kobe, and we are a LONG way away from where the quake hit. i thought was going to faint for a while because my balance was going...found out an hour later it was actually an earthquake.

Everyone need to be careful for the next 12-24hrs as as big or even bigger earthquake could hit again, so they were saying on some of the news stations due to the way the their were four earthquakes all within a short time of each other.

Not sure if anyone else heard anything like that?