Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Just got home after a 3hr walk.

gave my wife and son the biggest kids'. Waiting to hear how friend are in iwate. **** scary.

Apolgies for language but things were smashing and breaking l.

I was in Ofuna, a little bit north of tubby beaver.

It's pandemonium, phones have only just started to work again. Where we were it was a shindo 5. Cracks appeared in buildings and in the road.

Never again will I joke about earthquakes. All the train library are down, buses are running at full capacity and generators are being Used at essential traffic lights.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Never again will I joke about earthquakes.

You really do have to experience it to understand the horror, don't you?

Actually today it didn't feel like shindo 5 here, but apparently that's what it was.
For the Chuetsu it was 6å¼± here.

Glad you are ok, if just very shaken!

Aftershocks down there now?

Dude, I thought the one in 2005 was bad but today. I will admitted it, in the building I was in, I honestly thought my time was up. It was swaying violently, creaking and water tanks outside were exploding.

Just saw the machida costco carpark has been pretty much wiped out.

Rob, and all SJers in the country, my thoughts are with you in this scary time.

I have never experienced such a jolt, and never really want to. But I do feel for those whose lives, and livelihoods, have been washed away.

The reporting footage on news channels is horrendous, the sight of the wave devouring farmland and buildings just blows my mind. Tears form unbidden.

Please, everyone, look after yourselves and your loved ones.

Footage here is devastating, the human toll for this will be very large and reverberate for years to come, having just been part of the recent (and continuing) results of natural disasters in Australia, I am again moved beyond what words could convey by the extent and effect of this situation now and in the future.

Many of my Japanese hosts asked me about recent events in my home country and were genuinely saddened and extremely concerned by the events. I am humbled and saddened now to have to return it.

I hope the best for you all over there.

cladding was falling from buildings in Yokohama, it seems to have had a bit harder than Fujisawa. I saw videos of Enoshima though and the water was up to the base of the bridge and flowing very fast into the beach......not major damage but scary so close to home.

Seen those images of the tsunami eating up the rice fields near Sendai?

Just spoke with a close Japanese friend who tells me that his best friend lives there. In that exact neighbourhood.

He can't contact him right now.

He's hoping he was out at the time

veryshocked

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
cladding was falling from buildings in Yokohama.

Water tanks were exploding in Ofuna man. 5 stories up and BOOM, water everywhere.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Not really sure why all the reporters in the Niigata tv studio are wearing hard hats, it seems a little over the top considering...

Some buses are, but they are full up.